No announcement yet.

Do We Preach As We Have Been Commanded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do We Preach As We Have Been Commanded?

Do we preach as we have been commanded, according to what Jesus said we should?

Mt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
    Mt 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Lk 24:44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
    Lk 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
    Lk 24:46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
    Lk 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Acts 26:22 Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come:
    Acts 26:23 That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.

Firstfruits

Originally posted by Firstfruits View Post

Mt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
    Mt 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Lk 24:44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
    Lk 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
    Lk 24:46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
    Lk 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Acts 26:22 Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come:
    Acts 26:23 That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.

Firstfruits

I don't believe we are. He commanded us to Love Him and our neighbors and we preach an "us vs. them" religion.

Comment

Originally posted by mikebr View Post
      I don't believe we are. He commanded us to Love Him and our neighbors and we preach an "us vs. them" religion.
      Yep! And then we have the audacity to wonder why the lost have NO desire to be a "Christian". Amazing.
      I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
      - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Vhayes View Post
        Yep! And then we have the audacity to wonder why the lost have NO desire to be a "Christian". Amazing.
        TOTALLY agree.

That's only one side of the equation:

"By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

(John 13:35)

The proclaiming and living it out must go hand -in-hand, they must match up, they can't be separated.

Comment

Yes and they reject us and we write them off as having rejected Christ and condemn them to hell. Nothing wrong with the gospel but how we present it is certainly lacking.

Comment

Repentance means to change you mind, your way of thinking. The way I truly think will greatly impact the way I act. The Gospel; Good News has been nothing but bad news. Remember what the Christmas angel in Luke 2 said:

And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

Our version: Be afraid, be very afraid I got some bad news that will bring you great sorrow, God's out to get you.

Comment

it is because we are workers of lawlessness. We do our own thing, each one right in his owns eyes. God is not soveriegn over this mess. God has not ordained this mess. It is what it is because people have done as the Pharisees and Sadducees. We have created our own factions. A divided body cannot stand.

I hear things like God has a permissive will, gives us room for our own will, and gives a saint license to worship and serve as they wish. Hence we have this mess.

This was not true in the first covenant, it is not true now as well.
              Edify the brethren, love the brethren, and forgive the brethren until I have nothing left.

www.woc-church.org

Comment

Repentance means to change you mind, your way of thinking. The way I truly think will greatly impact the way I act. The Gospel; Good News has been nothing but bad news. Remember what the Christmas angel in Luke 2 said:

And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

Our version: Be afraid, be very afraid I got some bad news that will bring you great sorrow, God's out to get you.
                Or worse yet:
                Be afraid. God says you are a sinner and you are going to hell. But I have good news. GREAT Good News in fact. You don't have to go to hell - you can be like me. EXACTLY like me. Here's the rules and regs you gotta follow and I'll be back in a bit.
                I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
                - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Or worse yet:
                  Be afraid. God says you are a sinner and you are going to hell. But I have good news. GREAT Good News in fact. You don't have to go to hell - you can be like me. EXACTLY like me. Here's the rules and regs you gotta follow and I'll be back in a bit.
                  Its like asking a guy asking a girl out on a date to evangelize her because its the christian thing to do not because he loves her and when he picks her up he hands her a list of rules for dating him. We do that with the bible.

Here you go lost sinner, I don't really care about you but I believe I'm responsible for your eternal salvation so I'm giving you the rules and hey if you want to when you get fixed you can come hang out with us at church. If you don't well you're going to burn forever. I think I'll go to McDonalds. Have a nice day.

Comment

Yeah, we forget this one a lot too...

1 Corinthians 5:12-13 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? God judges those outside.
                    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Missionary View Post
                      Yeah, we forget this one a lot too...

1 Corinthians 5:12-13 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? God judges those outside.

Good call......................

Comment

1 Timothy 1:8 *But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully,
                        9 *realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous man, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers
                        10 *and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching,
                        11 *according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted.

If these things are in fact contrary to the gospel... why do we think things like this were void from the gospel that Paul preached?

Visit our new website
                        ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
                        "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Its like asking a guy asking a girl out on a date to evangelize her because its the christian thing to do not because he loves her and when he picks her up he hands her a list of rules for dating him. We do that with the bible.

Here you go lost sinner, I don't really care about you but I believe I'm responsible for your eternal salvation so I'm giving you the rules and hey if you want to when you get fixed you can come hang out with us at church. If you don't well you're going to burn forever. I think I'll go to McDonalds. Have a nice day.
                          I have never hear it that way but you are exactly right. If you want to see an example of this look at the Homose*uality thread where people are warning against befriending sinners...
                          For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Comment

Firstfruits
                            The title of your thread implies that Matthew 28:19 applies to all Christians. I don't think this is correct. Jesus is speaking directly to his apostles and not to the church at large. We learn later, from Paul, that there are various gifts of the spirit and in that presentation we also learn that not everyone has the gift of an apostle, or a preacher, or an evangelist.

Comment

Originally posted by BroRog View Post
                              The title of your thread implies that Matthew 28:19 applies to all Christians. I don't think this is correct. Jesus is speaking directly to his apostles and not to the church at large. We learn later, from Paul, that there are various gifts of the spirit and in that presentation we also learn that not everyone has the gift of an apostle, or a preacher, or an evangelist.

I believe you may be on to something.

Comment

Working...
                              X