No announcement yet.

Are The Jews Still Gods Chosen People??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are The Jews Still Gods Chosen People??

Are the Jews still Gods Chosen People? Or are Christians now God's Chosen People? Or both? I'm confused...scripture please
    sigpic "My DADDY is bigger than your problems!"

~Danielle~

What do those verses tell you the answer is?

Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ

Romans 9:6 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called. That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God

Galatians 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed

John 8:33 The Jews answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?
    8:34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
    8:35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.
    8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
    8:37 I know that ye are Abraham's seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you.
    8:38 I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father.
    8:39 They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham.
    8:40 But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham.
    8:41 Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God.
    8:42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.
    8:43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.
    8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
    8:45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.
    8:46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?
    8:47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

Comment

Originally posted by HISprincess90 View Post
      Are the Jews still Gods Chosen People? Or are Christians now God's Chosen People? Or both? I'm confused...scripture please
      Of course they are

"The earth is the Lord's and everything there-in"
      "For God so loved the World that he gave us his only son"
      Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

The answer is this: Both are chosen, but chosen for different purposes and in different way (Jewish choosing is non-salvific while Christian choosing is salvific).

Here is an article that deals with the issue. It's 50 pages but will succinctly answer your question. Though it begins dealing with anti-semitism, the middle portion deals primarily with how the Jews are still chosen.

If you don't want to read the entire thing and just want to deal with the portions related directly to your question, you should read the following pages:

4-5 ("A Great Nation" section)

15-33 (up to "Jewish Persecution of Christians")

Hope that helps

Comment

...To the Jew God promised to never forsake them forsake them that do not forsake Him for a thousand generations. A generation at the time of that promise was forty years but let's go very conservative and used today's standard of twenty-five years. that reads out to twenty-five thousand years and man has not been here but about sixthousand years, even science has agreed to that. Then, as the Jewish people turned from God, over and over we see that God has held a remnant of them, even today there is the Messianic Jew that believes on Jesus as the Messiah.
          ... The Christian, saved from out of the gentile peoples? We are grafted in because we have been adopted and are the adopted brothern of the Messanic Jew.

Comment

Niether are God's chosen people if you want to use God's people legal and functioning name that adheres to their place, purpose, and inheritance in the Kingdom of God.

Israel birth name was Jacob. God made a special people who were not a people. They were begotten from a natural man by His change of character, purpose, and destiny. Now both Gentile and Israel after the flesh alike have been begotten from natural men and baptized into a spiritual life and reality. They have a new character, identity, and destiny as well. The say Christian is to not go far enough in this character, identity, and purpose. Christian means to be like Christ or Christ like. No man can be like Christ. But a man can be an Israel. Israel means to rule with God and have power with God.

Christianos- a follower of Christ
            Israel- "he shall be a prince of God"

Gal 6:11-16
            11 See with what large letters I have written to you with my own hand! 12As many as desire to make a good showing in the flesh, these would compel you to be circumcised, only that they may not suffer persecution for the cross of Christ. 13For not even those who are circumcised keep the law, but they desire to have you circumcised that they may boast in your flesh. 14But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom F24 the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. 15For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but a new creation. 16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God.

God's people are a people who have been born again of the Spirit, and must now worship God in spirit and truth. They are of a spiritual kingdom and have been given the role and title of a royal priesthood and princes of God. They have power with God. They will one day be a people who will rule in a spiritual kingdom forever. They are Spritual Israel.
            Edify the brethren, love the brethren, and forgive the brethren until I have nothing left.

www.woc-church.org

Comment

Aren't 'God's chosen people' the decendants of Abraham?
              As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

Comment

Very good question. The true Jews are God's people- those who are jews inwardly according to the heart, not according to the flesh. In other words, Christians, whether they are known as Jews or Gentiles.

In the OT the Jews were God's chosen people. Chosen for what? To be the avenue through which He would bring the Messiah. Chosen why? Because of Abraham's obedience. So through Abraham the Jewish nation was born, God's people; and through the Jewish nation Jesus was born. And who are Christians born from? Jesus Christ. We all, Jew or Gentile, become a part of God's Spiritual New Testament Jerusalem when we are born again. The natural nation of Israel is no longer any different than any other nation in God's eyes. Because salvation is now through Jesus Christ alone, and only if a Jew comes in through Jesus Christ does he become a part of God's chosen nation, New Jerusalem.

"For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God." Romans 2:28-29

"For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him." Romans 10:12

"Jesus saith unto them, I am the way, the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the father but by me." John 14:6

Comment

Originally posted by Gulah Papyrus View Post
                  Sorry for the redundency, I posted before reading the thread.
                  As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

Comment

With the new covenant there is a new Israel, the new Israel is made up of both Jew and Gentile who have accepted Christ and become Christian.

Christ annuls the First Covenant to establish the Second. For, if that First Covenant had been faultless, then there would be no place for the Second. They did not persevere in My Covenant, saith the Lord, and I disregarded them. (Hebrews 10:9; 8:7-9)

Christ shall be slain, and the people who shall deny Him shall not be His. (Daniel 9:26)

The Gentiles have attained to justice, but Israel has not come unto the law of justice. Why? Because they sought it not by faith, for they stumbled at the Stumbing Stone. (Romans 9:30-32)

Christ is the Stone which was rejected which has become the cornerstone: nor is there salvation in any other. For, there is no other name under Heaven whereby we must be saved. ( Acts 4:10-12)

Many shall come from the East and the West, and sit down in the kingdom of Heaven, but the children of the kingdom shall be cast out, into the exterior darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. (St. Matthew 8:11-12)

Therefore, I say to you: the kingdom of God shall be taken away from you, and given to a nation yielding the fruits thereof. (St. Matthew 21:43)

The Jews, who killed both the Lord Jesus and the prophets and have persecuted us, do not please God, and they have become adversaries to all men, to fill up their sin always; for the wrath of God has come upon them to the end. (I Thessalonians 2:14-16)

Whosoever denies the Son does not have the Father. (I St. John 2:23)

He who honors not the Son, honors not the Father Who sent Him. He who hates Me, hates My Father also. (St. John 5:23; 15:23)

If any man love not Our Lord Jesus Christ, let him be anathema. (I Corinthians 16:22)

Comment

The Jews are still God's people. And God still cares about them. If a nation treats them bad God punishes them. I believe the Jews will be converted at the second coming of Jesus.

This describes Christians:

But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light:

Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy. -1 Peter 2:9-10

Comment

Originally posted by Gulah Papyrus View Post
                        Jesus and Paul both explained who Abraham descendents are.

John 8:33 They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free? Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever. If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. I know that ye are Abraham's seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you. I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father. They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham. But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham. Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God. Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me. Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not. Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me? He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

Romans 9:6 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called. That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God

Galatians 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed

Comment

Originally posted by David Taylor View Post

Children of the flesh refers to the children of Abraham with the slave-woman, (Gal.4:31)...... who will not share in the promise G_d made to Abraham, unless they become children of faith.
                          The Jews are children of G_d because of the Promise, born to the free-woman and we are children of G_d because of our faith in Him..

Gal 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
                          The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
                          God plants in our hearts
                          to remind us
                          there are better things ahead.
                          -Holley Gerth

Comment

The Jews never were God's chosen people. The entire book of Romans explains how God's chosen people were the children of the PROMISE, not children of the FLESH.

Don't have the time right this moment to surf for Scriptures, but Romans says God is "no respecter of persons" and that "not all who are descended from Israel are Israel" and that God is "not the God of the Jews only, but of Gentiles also."

Replacement theology, which it seems you are espousing here, is bad theology which leads to "Left Behind" theology, which is REALLY bad theology.

I'm right now in a millennial kick, where I'm learning about Post-, Pre- and A-millennialism. Very intriguing. Eschatology explains how to better look at the entire bible, and with a Pre trib theology, you end up having to look at two different "people of God", which is entirely untrue.

God's chosen people from day 1 are the Israel of FAITH ... the children of the PROMISE. The REMNANT of the Jews are God's chosen people (also found in Romans, as well as many other places in the NT), but the Jews as a whole are clearly NOT God's chosen people, for they have rejected Him.

Sorry I can't give you specific Scriptures this morning, but do a search on some of the phrases I've given and you'll get close.
                            If we doubt or do not believe that God is gracious to us and is pleased with us, or if we presumptuously expect to please Him only through and after our works, then it is all pure deception, outwardly honoring God, but inwardly setting up self as a false [savior].... (Part X. XI) Excerpts from Martin Luther, Treatise Concerning Good Works (1520).

Comment

Originally posted by humbled View Post
                              The Jews never were God's chosen people. The entire book of Romans explains how God's chosen people were the children of the PROMISE, not children of the FLESH.

The Jews are G_d's chosen people. The Jews are the descendants of Abraham through Isaac, children of the Promise, they are the children of the free-woman, the promise G_d made to Abraham.... the slave-woman's children are children of the flesh they are the children if Ishmael

We do not replace the children of the Promise (Jews), we are co-heirs of this same promise " heirs with him of the same promise":

We (Christians) are children of Faith.... the reason I believe the word "Faith" is used is two-fold....
                              * Abraham had to believe G_d for the promise, and so
                              ** we believe G_d that we are His children through faith, the same kind of faith that Abraham had to have to believe G_d.
                              The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
                              God plants in our hearts
                              to remind us
                              there are better things ahead.
                              -Holley Gerth

Comment

Working...
                              X