The Boy With the Demon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Boy With the Demon

What made the father believe it was a demon?
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

What scripture are you referring?
    Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.
    Psalm 62:5
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Moxie View Post
      What scripture are you referring?
      The accounts are found in Matthew 17, Mark 9 and Luke 9.
      "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

the convulsions, sudden cries, rolling around on the ground, foaming at the mouth, casting into fire and water?

no man ever hated his flesh but....

I'm guessing I don't understand the question?

Comment

Originally posted by Sirus View Post
          the convulsions, sudden cries, rolling around on the ground, foaming at the mouth, casting into fire and water?
          Why would seeing things such as these make someone believe another person had a demon?

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
            Its arguable that all Epilepsy and Seizures, even in this modern age is the result of DEVILS!

Mark 9:17-19 ESV
            And someone from the crowd answered him, “Teacher, I brought my son to you, for he has a spirit that makes him mute. And whenever it seizes him, it throws him down, and he foams and grinds his teeth and becomes rigid.

Matthew 17:14-16 ESV
            And when they came to the crowd, a man came up to him and, kneeling before him, said, “Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is an epileptic and he suffers terribly. For often he falls into the fire, and often into the water.

(I remember 2-3 years ago, a girl in the back of the bus. Next to where i was sitting. She had a epileptic seizure and it was just as the bible described.)

About 50 million people worldwide have epilepsy, with almost 90% of these people being in developing countries.
            Epilepsy is more likely to occur in young children, or people over the age of 65 years, however it can occur at any time.

THESE ARE COUNTRIES WHERE DEMONS DWELL IN THE MASS!
            We are his body, We are his representative, We are the extension of God to the earth. Every action should be a extension of God's love.

Comment

From their standpoint in that time period, why wouldn't they...they often did not have other medical information as we do today. Another consideration is they were much more in tune with the spiritual rhelm than we are today.
              Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.
              Psalm 62:5
              sigpic

Comment

Why would seeing things such as these make someone believe another person had a demon?
                I can understand what you mean for convulsions, and probably foaming at the mouth, but.....

sudden cries? If it is a sane or normal individual....after the cry....this is where it hurts and why etc....

rolling around on the ground (unless that is the same as convulsions)? Again, a sane or normal individual could maybe explain it away once, right?.....after that?

casting into fire and water? The demon did that. Maybe the boy cried out for help? Nothing is said about his mouth or speech.....or did I miss it?
                It says it tare him. Maybe they could physically see that a human could not throw themselves around like that? I've heard of this sort of thing, but have not seen it with my own eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bladers View Post
                  Its arguable that all Epilepsy and Seizures, even in this modern age is the result of DEVILS!

Mark 9:17-19 ESV
                  And someone from the crowd answered him, “Teacher, I brought my son to you, for he has a spirit that makes him mute. And whenever it seizes him, it throws him down, and he foams and grinds his teeth and becomes rigid.

Matthew 17:14-16 ESV
                  And when they came to the crowd, a man came up to him and, kneeling before him, said, “Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is an epileptic and he suffers terribly. For often he falls into the fire, and often into the water.

(I remember 2-3 years ago, a girl in the back of the bus. Next to where i was sitting. She had a epileptic seizure and it was just as the bible described.)

About 50 million people worldwide have epilepsy, with almost 90% of these people being in developing countries.
                  Epilepsy is more likely to occur in young children, or people over the age of 65 years, however it can occur at any time.

Have you ever seen a demon cast out? I have in China and in Vietnam and in Kamloops. Not a pretty sight. Very ugly. Salvation and freedom in the end is beautiful. There are more demons in the old world then in the new IMHO. Or, perhaps in our country they are more hidden. We as Christ's followers should strive to keep our eyes on Our Saviour as much as possible. God bless all of you. You are all blessed and highly favored. I believe that epilepsy is probably demonic in nature. The person suffering is not to be judged but healed and set free.

Comment

Originally posted by Moxie View Post
                    From their standpoint in that time period, why wouldn't they...they often did not have other medical information as we do today. Another consideration is they were much more in tune with the spiritual rhelm than we are today.
                    What medical information did the father need?

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

I should declare an interest in that I've known a Christian die of epilepsy, for lack of medication, and I know she wasn't demon-posessed.
                      Originally posted by Bladers View Post
                      Originally posted by Wikipedia Epilepsy article
                      About 50 million people worldwide have epilepsy, with almost 90% of these people being in developing countries. Epilepsy is more likely to occur in young children, or people over the age of 65 years, however it can occur at any time.
                      These are also countries without money to buy treatment. But, if that's true, then everyone on this thread who believes it should donate to one of the charities fighting epilepsy in the developing world, in doing so they will be binding demons.

some facts
                      http://www.epilepsyontario.org/clien...orld+Countries

http://www.ibe-epilepsy.org/

A specific project in Ethiopia needing support:
                      http://www.ibe-epilepsy.org/promisin...on-of-ethiopia

Comment

Hi Vertical Reality
                        Would have been difficult for him to get such an idea from the OT Ex.4:11 And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD? etc. So probably the finger points at the Scribes and Pharisees, since texts like Tobit and Testament of Solomon show that this was common rabbinical teaching in the Second Temple period. Of course one could argue that Jesus by healing the boy without saying anything was confirming the teaching in Tobit and Testament of Solomon etc, but it's still difficult to make compatible with what God said to Moses. At least I don't know a way to make it fit.
                        God bless
                        S.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven3 View Post
                          Hi Vertical RealityWould have been difficult for him to get such an idea from the OT Ex.4:11 And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD? etc. So probably the finger points at the Scribes and Pharisees, since texts like Tobit and Testament of Solomon show that this was common rabbinical teaching in the Second Temple period. Of course one could argue that Jesus by healing the boy without saying anything was confirming the teaching in Tobit and Testament of Solomon etc, but it's still difficult to make compatible with what God said to Moses. At least I don't know a way to make it fit.
                          God bless
                          S.
                          Hi Steven . . .

I'm not really following you. What do you mean Jesus healed the boy without saying anything? You mean about the teaching of the scribes and Pharisees?

Regardless, the father was right . . . it was an unclean spirit. I'm just curious why that was the father's thoughts on the matter.

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Hi Vertical Reality
                            Hi Steven . . .

I'm not really following you. What do you mean Jesus healed the boy without saying anything? You mean about the teaching of the scribes and Pharisees?
                            Well I mean Jesus could have sat the father of the boy down and done a class comparing Ex.4:11 to Tobit, on why God causes illness in the OT. Although admittedly the OT doesn't specifically list epilepsy as one of God's illnesses. But as it was, Jesus just healed the boy.

Regardless, the father was right . . . it was an unclean spirit. I'm just curious why that was the father's thoughts on the matter.
                            Well as I said, as a first Century Jew the man presumably got his ideas from 1stC Jewish teaching, e.g. like this: http://www.esotericarchives.com/solomon/testamen.htm

4. But the child said to the king: "I pray thee, O king. Listen to what has befallen all that thy child hath. After we are all released from our work on the Temple of God, after sunset, when I lie down to rest, one of the evil demons comes and takes away from me one half of my pay and one half of my food. Then he also takes hold of my right hand and sucks my thumb. And lo, my soul is oppressed, and so my body waxes thinner every day."

etc.

Comment

Wikipedia defines Epilepsy as ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epilepsy

Epilepsy (from the Ancient Greek ἐπιληψία epilēpsía) is a common chronic neurological disorder characterized by recurrent unprovoked seizures.[1][2]

These seizures are transient signs and/or symptoms of abnormal, excessive or synchronous neuronal activity in the brain.[3] About 50 million people worldwide have epilepsy, with almost 90% of these people being in developing countries.[4]

Epilepsy is more likely to occur in young children, or people over the age of 65 years, however it can occur at any time.[5] Epilepsy is usually controlled, but not cured, with medication, although surgery may be considered in difficult cases.

However, over 30% of people with epilepsy do not have seizure control even with the best available medications.[6][7] Not all epilepsy syndromes are lifelong – some forms are confined to particular stages of childhood.

Epilepsy should not be understood as a single disorder, but rather as syndromic with vastly divergent symptoms but all involving episodic abnormal electrical activity in the brain.

I'm not actually sure myself if Epilepsy is caused by Demons or if it is a mediacal condition resulting from excessive activity in the brain.

Comment

Working...
                              X