Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often does your church have communion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often does your church have communion?

Once a week
    Typically more than once a month
    About once a month
    Maybe one a quarter - only a few times each year
    Never
    Once a week
    13.33%
    Typically more than once a month
    6.67%
    About once a month
    33.33%
    Maybe once a quarter - only a few times each year
    40.00%
    Never
    6.67%
    3 John 4 - "No greater joy can I have than this, to hear that my [spiritual] children walk in the truth.

BadDog!

Our church has it once a quarter.
    Come unto me all that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Comment

Ours too - at best. It's not a biggee to me, but it should be more often than that.
      3 John 4 - "No greater joy can I have than this, to hear that my [spiritual] children walk in the truth.

BadDog!

Comment

Actually our church has communion every other month.
        You might be a dog lover if...
        You have more dog toys in your bed than people.

Comment

We just shared communion last night. It is so beautiful and such a loving, humbling time.

I'm Sara
          "Jesus wept." John 11:35
          Praying for my sister Mieke.
          sigpic

Comment

I put "once a quarter," but that's not entirely true. Every Sunday, there are a couple of stations set up in the front of the sanctuary where people can come up and take communion if they want. About once every 2-3 months, we'll all take communion together.
            We long to be known and we fear it like nothing else.
            Most people live with subtle dread that one day,
            they will be discovered for who they really are,
            and the world will be appalled.
            - Curtis, Brent and John Eldredge,
            The Sacred Romance: Drawing Closer to the Heart of God

The joy is not in hiding, the joy is in being found.
            - David Terry

My Testimony

Comment

I'm an 'every Sunday' ...
              One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism, One God and Father over us all.

Comment

I think we only do communion a couple of times a year. I've been at the church now for a year and 4 months, and we've taken it 3 times...one of those was unscheduled (we'd had a glorious time worshiping Jesus Christ and the pastor thought it was a perfect time to have communion).

I'd prefer it much more often.
                My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Steve M View Post
                  I'm an 'every Sunday' ...
                  Do you like having it that often, or does it get to be"old hat"?

BD

BadDog!

Comment

Originally posted by BadDog View Post
                    Do you like having it that often, or does it get to be"old hat"?

BD
                    A little of both? There's always that tendency to trivialize that which happens often, but that's true of the entire experience, isn't it? And I think that the continual reminder can be a good thing, if we don't trivialize it.

Comment

my current church does it the first Sunday of every month. I used to attend a Lutheran church that did it every Sunday. I felt like the every Sunday was a bit rote..but then the whole service felt a bit rote at that particular church.

Comment

Originally posted by SpokenFor View Post
                        I used to attend a Lutheran church that did it every Sunday. I felt like the every Sunday was a bit rote..but then the whole service felt a bit rote at that particular church.
                        Communion services at our Lutheran church (it's a Wisconsin Synod, i.e. WELS, one) are held twice a month, first and third Sundays. The congregation I grew up in ones I attended during college and law school (all three were affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, i.e. identified with acronym ELCA) have all gone to having weekly communion.

Don't feel it is fair to describe it as "a bit rote" since we rotate between different settings and the scripture readings are entirely different every Sunday. First Sunday of the Month we use the "Common Service" (i.e, the "traditional" Lutheran service) the prayers and music in it are entirely different from those on Third Sunday in the "Service of Word and Sacrament" version.

Incidentally, the ELCA Lutheran Churches with their new Evangelical Lutheran Worship hymnal now have ten (10) different musical settings and plenty of various options as to prayers to be included, so they can now go several months, before repeating anything and service would feel "a bit rote."

Comment

Originally posted by Organist View Post
                          Communion services at our Lutheran church (it's a Wisconsin Synod, i.e. WELS, one) are held twice a month, first and third Sundays. The congregation I grew up in ones I attended during college and law school (all three were affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, i.e. identified with acronym ELCA) have all gone to having weekly communion.

Don't feel it is fair to describe it as "a bit rote" since we rotate between different settings and the scripture readings are entirely different every Sunday. First Sunday of the Month we use the "Common Service" (i.e, the "traditional" Lutheran service) the prayers and music in it are entirely different from those on Third Sunday in the "Service of Word and Sacrament" version.

Incidentally, the ELCA Lutheran Churches with their new Evangelical Lutheran Worship hymnal now have ten (10) different musical settings and plenty of various options as to prayers to be included, so they can now go several months, before repeating anything and service would feel "a bit rote."
                          ...yeah, that liturgical setup? Would always feel a bit rote to me, no matter how varied the liturgy. No matter how many times a month you took it.

Comment

Working...
                          X