"Abiding in Christ"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Abiding in Christ"

We see this come up from time to time in the OSAS/NOSAS discussions. I want to state up front and for the record that I take no position on N/OSAS. NONE. Neither will this thread become an N/OSAS circus.

What I'd like to know is "what does abiding in Christ" mean practically.

From "the 10,000 foot view" it looks fairly obvious. But up close what does it look like? What does it mean day-to-day? What activities does one perform to ensure they're "abiding"? Or is it all a frame of mind?

Originally posted by HisLeast View Post
    We see this come up from time to time in the OSAS/NOSAS discussions. I want to state up front and for the record that I take no position on N/OSAS. NONE. Neither will this thread become an N/OSAS circus.

What I'd like to know is "what does abiding in Christ" mean practically.

From "the 10,000 foot view" it looks fairly obvious. But up close what does it look like? What does it mean day-to-day? What activities does one perform to ensure they're "abiding"? Or is it all a frame of mind?
    1 John 2:6
    He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
    We are his body, We are his representative, We are the extension of God to the earth. Every action should be a extension of God's love.

Comment

Originally posted by Bladers View Post
      1 John 2:6
      He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
      Heb 7:18 - For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof

Comment

Amos 3:3 Can two walk together except they be agreed?

Eph 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who once were far off are made near by the blood of Christ.

Eph 4:22-24 That ye put off concerning the former manner of life the old man which is corrupt according to deceitful lusts and be renewed in the spirit of your mind and that ye put on the new man which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Eph 4:30 greive not the Holy Spirit of God by Whom ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Abide in Christ by yielding to the Holy Spirit and becoming Christlike in your life. Conformed to His image.

For the cause of Christ
        Roger

Comment

Heb 7:18 - For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof
          This isn't an old commandment,
          John tells us, if you claim to abide in Christ, then you have to walk even as Christ walked, unless your not abiding in Christ!

Galatians 2:20
          I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me...
          We are his body, We are his representative, We are the extension of God to the earth. Every action should be a extension of God's love.

Comment

Originally posted by notuptome View Post

Eph 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who once were far off are made near by the blood of Christ.

Eph 4:22-24 That ye put off concerning the former manner of life the old man which is corrupt according to deceitful lusts and be renewed in the spirit of your mind and that ye put on the new man which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Eph 4:30 greive not the Holy Spirit of God by Whom ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Abide in Christ by yielding to the Holy Spirit and becoming Christlike in your life. Conformed to His image.
            "Yield to the spirit" sounds great, but I've never had a satisfactory explanation of what it means. To me it always sounds like "do what you're supposed to be doing" except nobody ever tells you what you're supposed to do. As I do not hear, see, or feel anything outside of what I'd conventionally identify as "me", phrases like this have never lead me into deeper understanding.

I suppose there's the distinct possibility that I don't "have" the Holy Spirit to begin with. Now there's an interesting thought experiment.

Becoming "more Christ like" is a little more specific, and certainly easier to understand.

But what activities are specifically required to abide in Christ? Alternatively, what activities would keep you from abiding in Christ if you neglected to perform them?

Comment

This isn't an old commandment,
              John tells us, if you claim to abide in Christ, then you have to walk even as Christ walked, unless your not abiding in Christ!

Galatians 2:20
              I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me...
              So what does that look like?

Comment

I'll try to tell you what it means to me but that means it will be very, very subjective and many will disagree with it. But - here goes:
                When I get up in the morning, I thank God for the ability to get out of bed and start a new day with Him.

I ask His protection while I drive, seriously, I ask that He ride with me and keep me alert.

I thank Him for giving me an office to go to and the work that comes in.

I thank Him for the phone calls I take.

I ask Him to look after the homeless guy that stops by the house a couple of times a week looking for food and whatever else we have to spare.

I thank Him for my dogs and the way they wag their tails when I get home.

I thank Him for the family who loves me even when I'm grumpy.

I ask Him to take my burdens when they get to be too much for me to carry and keep on going.

I cry out to Him in distress when I cannot see the path before me.

I "talk" to Him throughout the day.

I listen for Him to prompt my heart in decision making.

I read His letters to me because they are my instructions on being His ambassador in this foreign place.

To me - THAT'S what "abiding in" means. Having Him be such a part of my life that I cannot imagine life without Him.

Hope that helps a bit -
                V
                I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
                - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

To me, abiding in Christ means praying each morning as I begin the day for the Holy Spirit to guard what I say that day, and for my actions to be pleasing to God and loving and encouraging to others. I want them to see Christ in me--through the struggles as well as the joyous moments. I want them to see Him holding me up and giving me the strength to get through the day when I am grief stricken. Simply put, I want others to see Him and not me.
                  I believe this can be accomplished best through prayer, at the beginning of the day, as well as throughout the day; staying in communication with God.
                  Also, I believe it is of vital importance to be studying in the Bible each and every day, and asking the Holy Spirit to guide you in your studies which enables us to grow in our knowledge of God as He truly is, and not as we have made Him to be in our minds. We are also able to see His promises to His people throughout scripture which help to sustain us.
                  Worshiping and praising Him throughout the day for who He is is also very important.

1 Thessalonians 5:
                  16Be joyful always; 17pray continually; 18give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

Lastly, I think just sitting still in the quiet and praising Him and listening for God to speak into your heart is important--this is the one area I struggle most in.

Well, that is my

Great question. I hope you find answers which will encourage you.

In Christ's great love,
                  Jen

Comment

1 John 1:7
                    "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another..."

Comment

1 John 1:7
                      "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another..."

Comment

First before you have Fellowship you have to be in agreement:

Second, they have to be in Unity:

1 Corinthians 6:17
                        But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

Third, what does Fellowship and Communion look like?
                        -A close association of friends or equals sharing similar interests.
                        -The condition of sharing similar interests, ideals, or experiences
                        -The act or an instance of sharing, as of thoughts or feelings.
                        -Close acquaintance, association, or familiarity and intimate, Very personal and private.
                        -Oneness

John 14:21
                        He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father,
                        and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Manifest means to make known, to reveal, to make apparent, To show or demonstrate plainly; reveal, to prove.
                        Jesus manifests, reveals, discloses, makes-known, Himself to those who love Him. He does it. He pulls back the curtain.
                        Jesus unveils Himself to the loving heart. In direct proportion to our loving-obedience, Jesus has promised the increase of His revelation of Himself to us.

John 14:21
                        Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words:
                        and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

This is the promise that the Father and Son will lavish agape love (agape is the word in the original) on you through manifestation of Himself to you. In an never ending cycle of intimacy.

What does abiding in Christ means? Thats what it means, Fellowship with the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
                        Thats why John said, If you proclaim to abide in Christ. You must also walk as he walked.

Comment

Abiding is not just, you know.
                          Its a spirit connection.
                          A spiritual habitation
                          Its fellowship

Comment

Abiding is not just, you know.
                            Its a spirit connection.
                            A spiritual habitation
                            Its fellowship
                            I understand what the last line means. I do not know what "a spiritual connection" is or what "a spiritual habitation" is. These are not concepts I understand.

If I were to be frank, "spiritual" answers tend to make my eyes glaze over because they tend not to have any meaning in cold, hard, practical meatspace.

Comment

To me, abiding in Christ is simply remaining in the relationship with Him that began the moment you accepted Him. Seeking the fullness of that relationship is where all the growth, pruning, empowerment comes into play. Milk to Meat etc.
                              Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Working...
                              X