Is It Still Our Responsibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It Still Our Responsibility?

Is it still our responsibility to tend and keep what God has created?
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Also, when I say "our" responsibility, I mean mankind as a whole . . . not just Christians.
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Well let's put it this way, if not us, mankind, then who?
      This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

I would certainly hope so. Why wouldn't it be our responsibility?
        sigpic

Comment

How would you all say it is mankind's responsibility to tend and keep what God has created?

Additionally, many teach that when God gave man the authority to tend and keep what He had created, in reality an even better meaning is to guard and protect it.

Specifically, how is it that mankind is intended to guard and protect what God has made?

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

So do you take care of yourself?
            This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

Originally posted by -SEEKING- View Post
              So do you take care of yourself?
              That's certainly debatable. I suppose that everyone here more accurately would say that they somewhat do yet somewhat do not take care of themselves.

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Exactly. So some people take care of what God has created, and others don't.

Comment

Originally posted by -SEEKING- View Post
                  Exactly. So some people take care of what God has created, and others don't.
                  Certainly. So, what specifically has God called us to protect, and what exactly is it that we are supposed to be protecting it from?

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Well, there's the fatalist approach that goes something like "oh it don't matter what we do, God is gonna make a new earth anyway."

Then there's the stewardship approach which goes something like "it don't matter when God is making a new earth; meantime in the Batcave, I'm supposed to tend that which has been given to me and treat it responsibly."

Which I believe includes people, first and foremost, and material stuffs secondly.

I don't think it makes God happy when people "go green" and get environmentally conscious and then come home and abuse their spouse. Crass example, I know, but there's priorities. Because people are eternal. Physical stuffs -- isn't.

Comment

If we are, then we are protecting what God cursed. Isn't that futile?

Comment

I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to protect the environment and that sort of thing. However, I'm speaking more in spiritual terms. For example, is it not reasonable to conclude that Adam and Eve's responsibility in tending and keeping the garden was to keep it clean of all things contrary to God instead of submitting themselves to the leading of the serpent?

What about today? Any relation?

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Yes. Guard and protect the dominion God gave man and subdue all in the earth, which included the serpent. Totally applicable today for every believer. Both authority and sin is a spiritual issue.

I said what I did above because only the ground was cursed and I do not believe the ground is still cursed, but since that's not what you are talking about, nevermind.

Comment

Well, that depends on how you perceive Eden and its purpose.

Jesus came to redeem people, first of all. The Sabbath is for man, not man for the Sabbath. What God creates, is for our benefit. So if we abuse things created for people's benefits, we're indirectly abusing the people themselves. Certainly God appreciates His creation and calls it good, but the pinnacle was man, and for him to tend, and to enjoy, and to appreciate. Eden was the birthplace of the human race as we know it. The New Jerusalem is made up of people. God's Kingdom is made up of people.

Comment

Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
                              Is it still our responsibility to tend and keep what God has created?
                              Yes. For the saints give thanks to God for destroying those who destroy the earth.

Although I don't think we should spend the majority of our time, efforts and money in trying to protect the earth (that wasn't God's commission to us, men's souls are more precious, and the fate of the earth is already prophesied and thus cannot be changed) we are expected to do what is in our power to do to protect the earth.

Rev 11:15 Then the seventh angel blew his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, saying, "The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he shall reign forever and ever."
                              Rev 11:16 And the twenty-four elders who sit on their thrones before God fell on their faces and worshiped God,
                              Rev 11:17 saying, "We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, who is and who was, for you have taken your great power and begun to reign.
                              Rev 11:18 The nations raged, but your wrath came, and the time for the dead to be judged, and for rewarding your servants, the prophets and saints, and those who fear your name, both small and great, and for destroying the destroyers of the earth."

In the OT, God commanded the people to let the land rest every 7 years, where no planting is to take place. They disobeyed over many years, and God sent them a drought (if memory serves me) as a punishment for disobeying his Law.
                              Tit 3:2 to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.

Comment

Working...
                              X