Question about a reprobate mind.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about a reprobate mind.

Once an individual has been given over to a reprobate mind, is there any hope of salvation for them? What are your thoughts?

We don't know at what point God has given up on an individual, though we might suspect it. Probably a good thing since many of us were obviously lost to the point that others may have given up but God did'nt.
    Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.
    C. S. Lewis

Comment

"18 Behild, MY Servant whom I have chosen; MY BELOVED in whim MY Soul is well-pleased; I will put MY SPIRIT upon HIM, and HE shall proclaim justice to the Gentiles. 19 HE will not quarrel, nor cry out; nor will anyone hear HIS voice in the streets. 20 A battered reed HE will not break off, and a smoldering wick HE will not put out, until HE leads justice to victory. 21 And in HIS name the Gentiles will hope."
      Matthew 12:18-21
      Last edited by DeadToSelf; Aug 10th 2008, 01:32 AM. Reason: Forgot to end it.
      9For zeal for Your house has consumed me,
      And the reproaches of those who reproach You have fallen on me.
      Psalm 69:9

4 You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.
      James 4:4

19 You believe that God is one You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder
      James 2:19

"5 Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually." Genesis 6:5

Comment

Were the people referred to in Romans 1:28 (those that God had given over to a reprobate mind) saved or lost?

If they were saved, then what does this mean for them?
        If they were lost, does this mean that there is no more hope for their salvation?

I'm trying to study this out thoroughly. Any input is appreciated.

Comment

He is speaking of those prior to salvation.... Yes they can be saved.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins...
          For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Missionary View Post
            He is speaking of those prior to salvation.... Yes they can be saved.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins...
            Then being given over to a reprobate mind has no eternal consequences?

In the verses prior to Romans 1:28, it says "when they knew God, they glorified him not as God." If these were not saved, what does it mean to say that they "knew God"?

Comment

Originally posted by itsafreegift View Post
              Then being given over to a reprobate mind has no eternal consequences?

In the verses prior to Romans 1:28, it says "when they knew God, they glorified him not as God." If these were not saved, what does it mean to say that they "knew God"?
              well it could possibly be they knew of God or about God, but did not know Him and have the personal relationship truly saved Christians have. The name Jesus is internationally known, yet do people know Jesus?

Comment

Originally posted by ariel_jesus237 View Post
                well it could possibly be they knew of God or about God, but did not know Him and have the personal relationship truly saved Christians have. The name Jesus is internationally known, yet do people know Jesus?
                The word "knew" in Romans 1:21 in the greek means to "recognize" and "understand". It's the same word used to describe a intimate relationship with sexual conotations.

So if they recognized and understood God, it sounds to me as if their knowledge of him was much more than just hearing about Him.

Comment

Originally posted by itsafreegift View Post
                  I interpret this to mean that all of us at some point know God is, and that some of us recieve that knowledge and come to Him and some of us do not recieve Him eventhough we knew Him:

Rom 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

Those who have rejected the knowledge of God are liars and they have grown in that lie; they begin to believe that lie (God gives them over to their deception).

Pretty harsh, but that is the way I read it.
                  Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.
                  C. S. Lewis

Comment

Ok, let me get a little more to the point. Can a person whom God has given over to a reprobate mind still be saved???

Comment

No... there is not. The word in the Greek there means that they have been rejected... cast away. If you look up the 1856 (somewhere in there) Webster definition... you will find that he actually had the courage to say it. These are folks that are "beyond salvation." Not popular now days... but he was spot on.

Visit our new website
                      ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
                      "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
                        No... there is not. The word in the Greek there means that they have been rejected... cast away. If you look up the 1856 (somewhere in there) Webster definition... you will find that he actually had the courage to say it. These are folks that are "beyond salvation." Not popular now days... but he was spot on.
                        Thank you for your input. Now I'll ask you the same question that never was answered earlier. If these are folks beyond salvation, then what does it mean in the previous verses when it says they "knew" God. As I already established earlier, the word "knew" means that they recognized and understood the Lord. THis is obviously more than just hearing about the Lord, or just knowing of Him. It's the same word used to describe sexual intimacy in the Bible. What do you think this means?

I hope I'm not coming off as arguementative. That's not my desire. I'm just trying to gain a better understanding of this situation because I want to share it with others. I do appreciate all who have commented thusfar. God bless you.

Comment

Read the verses preceeding that one...

Rom 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
                          Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
                          Rom 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
                          Rom 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
                          Rom 1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
                          Rom 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
                          Rom 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

No one except one who blasphemes the Holy Spirit is beyond salvation. I disagree with Peter on this one, however I DO believe it is highly improbable that they will reach repentence, but the possibility is still there. Otherwise it would be directly against His will. "It is not God's will that any should perish..."

Again, possible to be saved, YES. Probable, NO.

(Of course we may be using different doors again...)
                          For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Missionary View Post
                            Read the verses preceeding that one...

Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
                            Rom 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
                            Rom 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
                            Rom 1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
                            Rom 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
                            Rom 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

No one except one who blasphemes the Holy Spirit is beyond salvation. I disagree with Peter on this one, however I DO believe it is highly improbable that they will reach repentence, but the possibility is still there. Otherwise it would be directly against His will. "It is not God's will that any should perish..."

Again, possible to be saved, YES. Probable, NO.

(Of course we may be using different doors again...)
                            Verse 21 says they knew God, I established above what that means. With that being stated, were these people saved before God gave them over to a reprobate mind?

Comment

It sounds like every one at some point knows God and some deny this knowledge. Difficult to swollow I admit, but it seems that this is what is being said.

I would say that they were not saved, yet knew God.

I kinda get this impression from some posters in CA that they have knowledge of God, which according to scripture God has revealed Himself to them.
                              C. S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                              X