This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion Nothing New About the New Covenant

Is there anything new about the new covenant?

The word translated as new is Kainos can mean mutltiple things:
    1. new
    2. as respects form
      1. recently made, fresh, recent, unused, unworn
    3. as respects substance
      1. of a new kind, unprecedented, novel, uncommon, unheard of
    I say no, for a few reasons that have to deal with God from His prospective and mankind from our limited prospective.

I believe the Scirpture that says that Jesus was the lamb slain before the foundation of the world. And that Jesus is the same today, yesterday, and forever. This is the same Jesus who walked and ate dinner with Abraham, then danced with the Hebrew men in the flame. He is also the same Jesus who showed that He was already glorified by transfiguring Himself in all His glory before Peter, John, and James.

What is new from God's prospective. He had already redeemed mankind before He created mankind. It is now up to each individual to accept the invitation of redemption God has already prepared for even Adam before He breathe into his nosrtrils.

What was wrong with the old? Did not God prophesied to Eve that His seed would be the fix for her and Adam's sin and state of sin.
    Edify the brethren, love the brethren, and forgive the brethren until I have nothing left.

www.woc-church.org

well God created us in his image and then we messed up and so from that point on until Jesus died for all you had to make a blood offering year after year after year whereas today Jesus did it once for all so we don't have to do it year after year to be holy and right with GOD.

Comment

I agree.

remember what Christ did for both adam and eve right after they sinned?

He killed an innocent animal. and used that animals skin to "cover" the nakedness of them both.

this is the first picture of an innocent having to shed blood to cover the nakedness ( sin ) of mankind. and this covering up of redemption is what saves us.
      not perfect, Just forgiven

Comment

Originally posted by manichunter View Post

1. new
        2. as respects form
        3. as respects substance

What was wrong with the old? Did not God prophesied to Eve that His seed would be the fix for her and Adam's sin and state of sin.
        There are two greek words translated 'new', one of which you referenced here. Kainos is new, but not BRAND new...like if I bought a 2003 Ford car and I asked you to come look at my new car...well it's not brand new, but it's new to ME.

The other word translated new is 'neos', which would mean brand spanking new.

So your reasoning is correct....it is a new covenant for those who are putting it into practice, but not new in the sense that it never existed before.

Comment

Originally posted by Sold Out View Post
          There are two greek words translated 'new', one of which you referenced here. Kainos is new, but not BRAND new...like if I bought a 2003 Ford car and I asked you to come look at my new car...well it's not brand new, but it's new to ME.

The other word translated new is 'neos', which would mean brand spanking new.

So your reasoning is correct....it is a new covenant for those who are putting it into practice, but not new in the sense that it never existed before.

The proper translation would be more like "New to you".
          Edify the brethren, love the brethren, and forgive the brethren until I have nothing left.

www.woc-church.org

Comment

1. new
            2. as respects form

3. as respects substance

I say no, for a few reasons that have to deal with God from His prospective and mankind from our limited prospective.
            One way to properly divide scripture, is to look at all of scripture. So while the word you use is interesting, there is also a word for "new" in the OT. Let's look there as well. Perhaps with the use of both words, we can better understand what God was saying.

Jer 31:31-33

31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: 32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord: 33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
            KJV

This is what was quoted in Hebrews. Here's the Hebrew word for new.

OT:2319

OT:2319 chadash (khaw-dawsh'); from OT:2318; new:

KJV - fresh, new thing.
            (Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

It comes from the OT word

OT:2318

OT:2318 chadash (khaw-dash'); a primitive root; to be new; causatively, to rebuild:

KJV - renew, repair.
            (Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

So in a since, the old covenant was faulty and need to be replaced. If you wish to say, renewed, you can do so, but it clearly changed and is not the same. That is why the translators and most scholars prefer "new". It is a different covenant. We did not renew a contract. We got one that is different. The law was changed according to Hebrews and now we can all be priest. In context of Jeremiah, it says the covenant will be a different one from the old. Allow me to quote again...

Jer 31:31-32

31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: 32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt;
            KJV

The new covenant is not according to the old covenant. That is why we call it new. God did not renew the old covenant. He made a new one and kept the best of the old and put it in the new. The best being, he put in shadows of what his full intention was all along.

I believe the Scirpture that says that Jesus was the lamb slain before the foundation of the world. And that Jesus is the same today, yesterday, and forever. This is the same Jesus who walked and ate dinner with Abraham, then danced with the Hebrew men in the flame. He is also the same Jesus who showed that He was already glorified by transfiguring Himself in all His glory before Peter, John, and James.
            I agree with this. People have always entered into covenant with God the same way, through faith.

What is new from God's prospective. He had already redeemed mankind before He created mankind. It is now up to each individual to accept the invitation of redemption God has already prepared for even Adam before He breathe into his nosrtrils.

There was plenty wrong with the old. The old did not allow God to live in man, in other words, the old covenant did not change man but the new one does. Under the old covenant, the best man could hope for was paradise. Under the new, we can be with God for eternity.

What God did do, was to shadow the new with the old. As a result, many of the old testament prophets began to understand that something better was coming and the labored for our benefit.

1 Peter 1:10-12
            10 As to this salvation, the prophets who prophesied of the grace that would come to you made careful search and inquiry, 11 seeking to know what person or time the Spirit of Christ within them was indicating as He predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories to follow. 12 It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves, but you, in these things which now have been announced to you through those who preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven — things into which angels long to look.
            NASB

They knew a Better was coming and were excited about it.

And for this reason, Hebrews repeatedly says we have a "better covenant".

NT:2908

NT:2908 kreisson (krice'-son); neuter of an alternate form of NT:2909; (as noun) better, i.e. greater advantage:

KJV - better.

The new covenant is much better than the old in many, many ways. We are thankful for that. Was the new prophesied with Eve? Most certainly. But the Law of Moses is not the fulfillment of the prophesy given to Eve and that covenant is different than the covenant we have in Christ.

Praise God that he did not leave us under the old, for God, through Christ, accomplishes in us what the old covenant could not. We must be careful, for if we say the old covenant was enough, then we say Jesus blood is not needed.
            Matt 9:13
            13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
            NASU

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
              One way to properly divide scripture, is to look at all of scripture. So while the word you use is interesting, there is also a word for "new" in the OT. Let's look there as well. Perhaps with the use of both words, we can better understand what God was saying.

The new covenant is not according to the old covenant. That is why we call it new. God did not renew the old covenant. He made a new one and kept the best of the old and put it in the new. The best being, he put in shadows of what his full intention was all along.

I agree with this. People have always entered into covenant with God the same way, through faith.

There was plenty wrong with the old. The old did not allow God to live in man, in other words, the old covenant did not change man but the new one does. Under the old covenant, the best man could hope for was paradise. Under the new, we can be with God for eternity.

What God did do, was to shadow the new with the old. As a result, many of the old testament prophets began to understand that something better was coming and the labored for our benefit.

They knew a Better was coming and were excited about it.

And for this reason, Hebrews repeatedly says we have a "better covenant".

NT:2908

NT:2908 kreisson (krice'-son); neuter of an alternate form of NT:2909; (as noun) better, i.e. greater advantage:

KJV - better.

The new covenant is much better than the old in many, many ways. We are thankful for that. Was the new prophesied with Eve? Most certainly. But the Law of Moses is not the fulfillment of the prophesy given to Eve and that covenant is different than the covenant we have in Christ.

Praise God that he did not leave us under the old, for God, through Christ, accomplishes in us what the old covenant could not. We must be careful, for if we say the old covenant was enough, then we say Jesus blood is not needed.
              I feel like giving you a hug. A manly hug that is.

I would say that the shadows have not been done away with, I think the actual object the shadow was cast off of came to be manifested. Hence, what was not seen in its fulness can be seen as it is. However, I keep reminding myself of what Saul taught concerning even this covenant. He said that we currently see in this manner as Scripture indicate.

1Co 13:9-12 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
              11When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

We still only see the shadow of certain things. Until I fly or die, I will be hindered in my efforts to see God's fulness and glory found in His work of redemption for me. I beleive we brag to much as saints as to what we know and is true. We are still looking in the same manner as the first covenant saint except by the Holy Spirit; and He rules and not the other way of around. We can only know anything different from a shadow by the instruction of the Holy Spirit.

I would not look at the word better as in better quality but greater advantage. What is the advantage of this covenant? That the Holy Spirit abides within man to keep the covenant.

I will write more after you respond, because I can see a lot more of God's glory in our conversing ahead. Praise Yahweh........

www.woc-church.org

Comment

Jer 31:31-33

31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: 32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord: 33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
                KJV

This is what was quoted in Hebrews. Here's the Hebrew word for new.

OT:2319

OT:2319 chadash (khaw-dawsh'); from OT:2318; new:

I am going to another level. I just turned on my T-bone. T-bone goes hard with a little Marvin Sapp on the side. I am having personal worship now, will be back after praise, the mood just hit me to sing and pray to the Most High. Be back after I finishing shouting................

www.woc-church.org

Comment

Amen, all the old covenant did was bring death, as paul stated. I brought us not only to know who the messiah would be, and what he would do. but it showed us our need for a savior.

Jesus fullfilling the old covenant did this. He is the only man who ever lived that can not be charged with breaking any of the laws of the covenant, Thus. according to pure justice. Jesus was then free to take the penalty that we all deserve for breaking the laws of the covenant ( spiritul death) in our place. and thus set us free from the penalty, this is called redemption.

Heb 8:3-6
                  For every high priest is appointed to offer both gifts and sacrifices. Therefore it is necessary that this One also have something to offer. For if He were on earth, He would not be a priest, since there are priests who offer the gifts according to the law; 5 who serve the copy and shadow of the heavenly things, as Moses was divinely instructed when he was about to make the tabernacle. For He said, “See that you make all things according to the pattern shown you on the mountain.” But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises.

As we see. the old covenant was a copy or shadow of the new.

shadow:
                  4639σκιά [skia /skee·ah/] n f. Apparently a primary word; TDNT 7:394; TDNTA 1044; GK 5014; Seven occurrences; AV translates as “shadow” seven times. 1 shadow. 1a shade caused by the interception of light. 1b an image cast by an object and representing the form of that object. 1c a sketch, outline, adumbration.

n n: noun or neuter

f f: feminine

TDNT Theological Dictionary of the New Testament

TDNTA Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, Abridged in One Volume

GK Goodrick-Kohlenberger

AV Authorized Version

Strong, James: Enhanced Strong's Lexicon. Ontario : Woodside Bible Fellowship, 1996, S. G4639

Copy, or in some translations example:

5262ὑπόδειγμα [hupodeigma /hoop·od·igue·mah/] n n. From 5263; TDNT 2:32; TDNTA 141; GK 5682; Six occurrences; AV translates as “example” four times, “pattern” once, and “ensample” once. 1 a sign suggestive of anything, delineation of a thing, representation, figure, copy. 2 an example: for imitation. 2a of the thing to be imitated. 2b for a warning, of a thing to be shunned.

n n: noun or neuter

TDNT Theological Dictionary of the New Testament

TDNTA Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, Abridged in One Volume

GK Goodrick-Kohlenberger

AV Authorized Version

Strong, James: Enhanced Strong's Lexicon. Ontario : Woodside Bible Fellowship, 1996, S. G5262
                  not perfect, Just forgiven

Comment

i say the 'new' covenant is not really new at all... it's just a continuation of God's plan... God hasn't forgotten his other covenants to Israel... the Messiah is a confirmation of God's covenant to Israel and at the same time an invitation to the world to cut covenant with God... Israel has no choice in the matter they will ALL call upon the Messiah and be saved because Scripture says it plainly, but the Gentiles have the option of cutting covenant with God
                    The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you,And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,And give you peace.” Numbers 6:24-26

Comment

1. new
                      2. as respects form
                      3. as respects substance

Greetings Manic,

In Dispensational theology one tends to think that the “Covenant of Grace” and salvation, or election, are the same thing. In other words, Dispensationalists believe that those in the Covenant of Grace have to be saved to be in covenant with God. This is a fundamental error in their Dispensational theology.

Dispensational theology tells us that Jeremiah is prophesying that the New Covenant to come is going to be different than the old Covenant in that it is in the heart. This is the New Testament writers’ point in Hebrews 8. Those in the New Testament church will be saved and regenerate. They are the only ones in the New Covenant. Jesus will radically bring about a new kind of way in dealing with men. There will be no more need to teach the law because God will teach it to men and write it on their hearts.

Pentecost shows us this when the Spirit comes and now dwells in men.
                      Some believe that Moses, and Israel in receiving the Ten Commandments in Exodus 20, were receiving a new way of obedience. The Law was a tutor to point us to the need for Christ. The point of God’s law is that it demonstrates the duty of men in relation to the nature of God. The law of God is the perfect reflection of His nature and will, and binds all rational creatures to perfect conformity in character and conduct. But wicked men are sinners and cannot keep the law. The Messiah must come, and keep the law for us.

Paul tells us in Galatians, the ceremonial and judicial Mosaic Law is simply a tutor, to be done away with later when Christ, the capstone, comes. So, we should remember the occupants of the covenant, if they obey, they are blessed, if they disobey they are cursed.

Christ fulfills the Law and the necessity to keep the Law for justification, and we now have the fulfilled Abrahamic promise seen in the freeness of the Gospel. But understand the Mosaic Covenant is not a Covenant of Works. It is a continuation of the Covenant of Grace, building up the building. Moses would have been a fool to teach Israel that salvation came by works. Nowhere do we find that God required them to work in order to be justified. The work of justification is through Christ alone. Their obedience as a covenant people, already assuming some of them were regenerate, required their sanctification – something they always messed up because of their sinful nature that hated to please God.

So God has one covenant plan through time – the Covenant of Grace, after the fall. Moses relied as much on grace and the promises to Abraham as Abraham did. 1 Peter 2:9 paraphrases what God said to Moses and Israel on Sinai.

The Hebrew word is not “new” but “renew” or “refresh.” Chadash a primitive root; to be new; causatively, to rebuild:--renew, repair. The covenant here is a renewing, or refreshing of the Abrahamic promise over the tutoring of the Mosaic covenant. So the covenant made with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, one that the Messiah will bring in, is going to be the Abrahamic Covenant fulfilled.

Pentecost does not give us a new “Dispensation” of the Spirit regarding regeneration. Those who believe that Pentecost marked a changed in the way the Spirit works in the heart are very mistaken. Think about Jesus in John 3 with Nicodemas. What did he say to Nicodemas in verse 10? He said that Nicodemas was Israel’s teacher and he did not understand what it means to be born again. He was rebuking him because Nicodemas should have understood the Old Testament idea of being regenerated.

Hebrews 8 quotes the whole passage we read in Jeremiah. But what if you misunderstand Jeremiah 31? Will you ever understand Hebrew 8? Now we have the renewed covenant, the old Mosaic covenant is gone, and the writing is on the heart. But this is not new, it is the renewed covenant of Abraham, and that is an important point.

The text says we will not have any more teachers in this renewed covenant. But we have teachers today. The New Covenant is a “now and not yet” covenant. Like the Old Testament which was “now and not yet” in promise, we must take the text as it stands. In the New Covenant there will be no more teachers. Only in heaven will everyone know the Lord completely and in heaven there will be no teachers.

The renewed covenant made with the house of Israel and Judah is the Abrahamic covenant fulfilled in Christ. It is set in contrast to the ceremonial and judicial laws given at Sinai because the blood of bulls and goats do not really save. Jesus Christ inaugurates the coming of this new kingdom and renewed covenant. In doing so, the New Covenant is “now” for us, since we are saved; but it is also “not yet,” in that in heaven all people will know the Lord from the least to the greatest. There are teachers now in inaugurating the renewed covenant, but there will be no teachers then. There are saved people now, but the “knowing” is complete only in heaven. No church, anywhere, is made up of all regenerate people, and is without teachers or pastors.

Jeremiah 31 has some eschatological overtones to its fulfillment. We definitely have a “now” aspect of it – being saved and regenerate. But, we still need to get to heaven to experience the fullness of the “now and not yet” prophecy of Jeremiah 31. We are certainly experiencing salvation “now”, and I know I am saved, but I am also being saved, and will be saved and then glorified, so to speak. There is still a “not yet” part to come.

The law is written on the hearts of all men, that is why they have consciences now. The Spirit convicts them of sin. Yet, they cannot act in “good conscience” because they are defiled from within. So the Spirit changes them and the heart is made new. A new creation results. But even then, the sinful nature pulls them down and tries to entice them to sin. Only in heaven will we enjoy the ability to please God perfectly. Jeremiah is showing that the tablets of stone, the Law, is no match for the regenerated heart. And how glorious will the community of believers be when the whole community, form the least to the greatest is made whole and without sin! So now what do you do when you bring this different idea to Hebrews 8?

Hope this helps to clarify the New Covenant for you.

Many Blessings,
                      RW

Comment

New Covenant

I am an dispensationlist and I never use the term Covenant of Grace, because that is Covenant Theology. The 3 book where the New Covenant is used . In Jer 31:31 and Heb 8:8 and in Ezek 36:26,27. One brother mentioned that Old Covenant did not allow the in dwelling of the Holy Spirit , where the New Covenant does, very good point.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerW View Post
                          Greetings Manic,

In Dispensational theology one tends to think that the “Covenant of Grace” and salvation, or election, are the same thing. In other words, Dispensationalists believe that those in the Covenant of Grace have to be saved to be in covenant with God. This is a fundamental error in their Dispensational theology.

Hope this helps to clarify the New Covenant for you.

Many Blessings,
                          RW
                          Excuse me while I cut and paste this stuff to my flash drive. Anyway what else has the Spirit told you about the fact that we still see through a glass dimly now even within this renewed covenant. Are we still looking at some shadows?

The devil plays with words at the detriment of the saints. We use words like new, old, better. All kind of wrong mindsets get established. If I have something better, then the old is bad and obselete. It is no longer good. It can sometimes be understood as this, hence become a stumble block to some. It almost establishes a mindset that we are better people than those of the old testament. I now most do not naturally think this, but it crepts in because the words we accept. Words are powerful and they create thoughts unconsciously.

What do also got to say about ........ I forgot now. will remember later.

www.woc-church.org

Comment

Excuse me while I cut and paste this stuff to my flash drive. Anyway what else has the Spirit told you about the fact that we still see through a glass dimly now even within this renewed covenant.

The devil plays with words at the detriment of the saints. We use words like new, old, better. All kind of wrong mindsets get established. If I have something better, then the old is bad and obselete. It is no longer good. It can sometimes be understood as this, hence become a stumble block to some. It almost establishes a mindset that we are better people than those of the old testament. I now most do not naturally think this, but it crepts in because the words we accept. Words are powerful and they create thoughts unconsciously.

What do also got to say about ........ I forgot now. will remember later.
                            Well the old covenant was stated by Paul to be obselete - as it did not bring man to perfection, but only exposed his imperfection and his need for a savoir. This doesn't mean that the law itself was bad, as it partially represented God's Holiness..and helped us understand what sin was/is by bring us to Christ. As stated by Paul, we still use the law as a tutor in our walk..so the law is very helpful and beneficial to us even to this day. Still, the fullness of the gospel was brought to completion with Christ and his covenant of "grace" through his sacrafice on the cross, thus we don't have to worry every minute about not being able to keep the entirety of the law, Christ has already done this for us.

In Christ,

Stephen

Comment

KJV - better.

Never responded back........... Anyway do you think us seeing through a glass dimly now still means that some things are still shadows to us........ better yet, all things are still shadows to us without the interpretation of the Holy Spirit to grant us true insight.

www.woc-church.org

Comment

Working...
                              X