Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heaven, Kingdom of God, Kingdom Of Heaven, Millenium, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heaven, Kingdom of God, Kingdom Of Heaven, Millenium, etc.

What is the difference between the following?:

1. Heaven
    2. Kingdom of Heaven
    3. Kingdom of God
    4. The millenium

Here is my understanding (my best guess at this late hour without looking it all up):

The millenium is the thousand years when Christ reign's after he returns and after the 1st resurrection. Is this also the Kingdom of Heaven/God? Or is the Kingdom of Heaven now?

Heaven would be after the end of all ages after the 2nd resurrection/judgement.

The terminology of Heaven and Kingdom of Heaven always confused me.

Legoman

I am fairly certain that the Kingdom of "heaven" and the Kingdom of "God" are one in the same. But I am also certain that the Kingdom of God/heaven (in its fulness) and "heaven" are not the same thing.

I think a lot of folks presume that heaven and the kingdom of heaven in its fulness are the same thing, but scripturally, this is not the case. "Heaven" or "the heavens" is simply the spiritual realm where things are taking place that we can't see on this earth. It's not a "place" so much as it is a dimension, where wars between angels and principalities are all carried out.

The kingdom of heaven, while it is present and is in us and all around us, will not be realized in its fulness until Yahshua returns to reign with the elect, those who will be a part of the first resurrection along with those who will be transformed into imperishable bodies in the twinkling of an eye.
    It is at that time, in that kingdom, that the most important work in the history of creation (aside from Yahshua's work on the cross) will be carried out.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Porter View Post
      I am fairly certain that the Kingdom of "heaven" and the Kingdom of "God" are one in the same. But I am also certain that the Kingdom of God/heaven (in its fulness) and "heaven" are not the same thing.

I think a lot of folks presume that heaven and the kingdom of heaven in its fulness are the same thing, but scripturally, this is not the case. "Heaven" or "the heavens" is simply the spiritual realm where things are taking place that we can't see on this earth. It's not a "place" so much as it is a dimension, where wars between angels and principalities are all carried out.

The kingdom of heaven, while it is present and is in us and all around us, will not be realized in its fulness until Yahshua returns to reign with the elect, those who will be a part of the first resurrection along with those who will be transformed into imperishable bodies in the twinkling of an eye.
      It is at that time, in that kingdom, that the most important work in the history of creation (aside from Yahshua's work on the cross) will be carried out.
      This sounds like the Kingdom of Heaven takes place (or reaches it fullness) in the millenium. That is what I kind of thought.

What will be the "most important" work that is carried out in the kingdom?

Another question:

Is it possible to not make it into the Kingdom of Heaven/God, and still enter heaven?

Comment

Originally posted by legoman View Post

1. Heaven
        2. Kingdom of Heaven
        3. Kingdom of God
        4. The millenium

Here is my understanding (my best guess at this late hour without looking it all up):

The millenium is the thousand years when Christ reign's after he returns and after the 1st resurrection. Is this also the Kingdom of Heaven/God? Or is the Kingdom of Heaven now?

Heaven would be after the end of all ages after the 2nd resurrection/judgement.

The terminology of Heaven and Kingdom of Heaven always confused me.

Legoman
        The term "heaven" in the phrase "kingdom of heaven" is a metonymy. It's the same thing as saying "kingdom of God", substituting the abode of God for the person of God.

News broadcasters do this all the time when they refer to the "Whitehouse", when they actually mean "the President and his administration.

Comment

This sounds like the Kingdom of Heaven takes place (or reaches it fullness) in the millenium. That is what I kind of thought.

What will be the "most important" work that is carried out in the kingdom?

Another question:

Is it possible to not make it into the Kingdom of Heaven/God, and still enter heaven?
          Yes, it is possible. The Kingdom of Heaven/God is a reward or inheritance to the faithful servants of God. Those that hear "well done thou good and faithful servant" at the judgment seat of Christ, will enter into this age. Those that are washed by the blood but are disobedient servants, will be cast into outer darkness during this period but will be part of the second resurrection and will enter into the third age because of their belief in the shed blood of Jesus Christ.
          "Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years." - Revelation 20:6

Believers should be striving to take part in the first resurrection, that they might be priests of God and of Christ and that they might reign with him during the millennium. Those believers that live carnal lives because they think they are under grace and not under the law and believe that this is a license to sin, will be scourged for a time and then be part of the second resurrection due to the shed blood of Jesus Christ.
          "Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years." - Revelation 20:6

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus_1611 View Post
            Yes, it is possible. The Kingdom of Heaven/God is a reward or inheritance to the faithful servants of God. Those that hear "well done thou good and faithful servant" at the judgment seat of Christ, will enter into this age. Those that are washed by the blood but are disobedient servants, will be cast into outer darkness during this period but will be part of the second resurrection and will enter into the third age because of their belief in the shed blood of Jesus Christ.

Believers should be striving to take part in the first resurrection, that they might be priests of God and of Christ and that they might reign with him during the millennium. Those believers that live carnal lives because they think they are under grace and not under the law and believe that this is a license to sin, will be scourged for a time and then be part of the second resurrection due to the shed blood of Jesus Christ.
            Ok this is interesting. What would happen to believers if they didn't make it into the millenium? Are they dead in the grave, in hades (I believe this also means grave), or in hell? What does the scripture say? They just miss out on this "reward", but then are resurrected at the Great White Throne Judgement, along with unbelievers?

Another question: I believe it says somewhere the Kingdom of God is now. But I also feel it is referring to the millenium. Anyway, is it possible to be in the Kingdom of God, but then not make it to heaven somehow?

I am looking for scriptural answers on this. Can anyone help? I guess I'm looking for some kind of a timeline of what happens to believers/unbelievers when they die. I'm sure I will get many different answers on this so please try to back it up with scripture.

Thanks,
            Legoman

Comment

Ok this is interesting. What would happen to believers if they didn't make it into the millenium?
              They would spend time in outer darkness...
              "And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." - Matthew 25:30
              Are they dead in the grave, in hades (I believe this also means grave), or in hell?
              I believe they will receive their portion with the unbelievers in Hell...
              "The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers." - Luke 12:46
              What does the scripture say? They just miss out on this "reward", but then are resurrected at the Great White Throne Judgement, along with unbelievers?
              Yes. They will be resurrected for judgment at the Great White Throne. The unbelievers will be cast into the Lake of Fire...
              "And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire." - Revelation 20:14-15
              and the believers will have their tears wiped away...
              "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away." - Revelation 21:4
              Another question: I believe it says somewhere the Kingdom of God is now. But I also feel it is referring to the millenium. Anyway, is it possible to be in the Kingdom of God, but then not make it to heaven somehow?
              There are people who will be in non-glorified bodies that will still have an opportunity to choose God or choose the devil. There is a rebellion at the end of the millennium that demonstrates this. However, the Christians in this age who enter into the millennium in glorified bodies will enter into the third age without exception.

I am looking for scriptural answers on this. Can anyone help? I guess I'm looking for some kind of a timeline of what happens to believers/unbelievers when they die. I'm sure I will get many different answers on this so please try to back it up with scripture.
              Believers in this age after they die or are raptured - face the JSOC
              JSOC - Profitable servants/believers will reign with Christ in the millenial kingdom
              JSOC - Unprofitable servants/believers will be cast into outer darkness during the millenium
              Unbelievers in this age after they die - go to hell
              GWT - Unprofitable servants/believers will enter into the third age by the blood of the lamb
              GWT - Unbelievers will be cast into the Lake of Fire
              People resurrected or born in the millenial age and are not in glorified bodies - will choose God or the Devil. Those who choose God will enter into the third age, those who choose the Devil will be cast into the Lake of Fire

Thanks,
              Legoman

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus_1611 View Post
                They would spend time in outer darkness...
                "And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." - Matthew 25:30
                I believe they will receive their portion with the unbelievers in Hell...
                "The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers." - Luke 12:46
                Yes. They will be resurrected for judgment at the Great White Throne. The unbelievers will be cast into the Lake of Fire...
                "And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire." - Revelation 20:14-15
                and the believers will have their tears wiped away...
                "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away." - Revelation 21:4
                There are people who will be in non-glorified bodies that will still have an opportunity to choose God or choose the devil. There is a rebellion at the end of the millennium that demonstrates this. However, the Christians in this age who enter into the millennium in glorified bodies will enter into the third age without exception.

Believers in this age after they die or are raptured - face the JSOC
                JSOC - Profitable servants/believers will reign with Christ in the millenial kingdom
                JSOC - Unprofitable servants/believers will be cast into outer darkness during the millenium
                Unbelievers in this age after they die - go to hell
                GWT - Unprofitable servants/believers will enter into the third age by the blood of the lamb
                GWT - Unbelievers will be cast into the Lake of Fire
                People resurrected or born in the millenial age and are not in glorified bodies - will choose God or the Devil. Those who choose God will enter into the third age, those who choose the Devil will be cast into the Lake of Fire
                Sorry, my brain is not working. What does JSOC stand for again? (I know GWT)

Comment

Judgment Seat of Christ, I assume.

As I see it, the "Great White Throne Judgment" is the same thing as the "Judgment Seat of Christ."

Read Revelation 11. In the second half of the chapter, people cry out that the world is now part of Christ's kingdom, and that Christ will "reign for ever and ever." Immediately following this, the elders say "Now the time for the judging of the dead is come." Revelation 11 connects the judging of the dead with Christ's kingdom having encompassed the world. Skip forward to Revelation 20:11-15. Here we see the seating of the white throne, and the judging of the dead.

Technically speaking, the reader of the book could from the ending of Revelation 11, skip forward to Revelation 20:11-15, and it would be entirely coherent. And why not? Revelation 11 declares that the judging of the dead has come as a result of Christ's kingdom coming upon the world, and in Revelation 20:11-15 we see the One sitting upon His throne and judging the dead.
                  To This Day

Comment

1. Heaven
                    2. Kingdom of Heaven
                    3. Kingdom of God
                    4. The millenium
                    There are 3 heavens. Number 2 of your list, the Kingdom of Heaven is one of those heavens. As one writer wrote, the millenium is the Kingdom of heaven fully realized. The Kingdom of God is spiritual. It is what sinners enter into once they become believers and are saved. The Kingdom of God and Kingdom of Heaven are not the same, but they do harmonize in some areas.

Comment

The Kingdom of God and the Kingdom of Heaven are the same. Where Mark and Luke say "Kingdom of God," Matthew instead says "Kingdom of Heaven." The three authors use them in exactly the same manner and even in the exact same sayings attributed to Jesus. There is no reason to infer they are different considering the three authors use the two sayings in every way the same.
                      To This Day

Comment

In response to the OP:

Heaven, in the sense you're asking, is the abode "outside" of the physical world. Biblically speaking, there are three "heavens," and the word for "heaven" can equally be applied to each of the three. The first "heaven" is simply the sky, where the birds fly. The second "heaven" is what we call "space," where the stars and planets rest. The third "heaven" is the heavenly abode, where the angelic host, the 24 elders, the four living creatures, the throne of God reside. Taking the entirety of the Bible into account, one can assume that when Paul spoke of the "third heaven," he may simply have been speaking of the heaven, as opposed to some special third level of the heavenly abode.

The Kingdom of God/Heaven is not part of the heavenly abode, at least in the sense that the Bible teaches it. Daniel 2 teaches that the "Kingdom of God" would cover the world, symbolically presenting it as a small rock that grew to cover the world as a mountain. Christ taught that the Kingdom of Heaven could not be said to be "Here" or "There," because it was beyond physical limitations. By the time John wrote the Revelation, he plainly states that he is a brother in the Kingdom.

The Kingdom of God/Heaven is: one single kingdom that is from God in heaven, upon the world but not of the world, and not confined to any singular place. The Pharisees were capable of preventing people from entering it, but John the Baptist and Jesus claimed the Kingdom was "near" during their ministries.

The "Lord's Prayer" tells us exactly what it is: "Let Your Kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven." The Kingdom of Heaven is "[God's] will be[ing] done on earth as it is [done] in heaven." Whenever we find scenes of heaven in the Bible, they are (almost) always accompanied by people prostrating themselves before God to worship Him. The earth, however, is full of rebellion and people who hate God. Having God's Kingdom of Heaven upon the earth means bringing the earth to be as heaven, for God's will to be done upon earth as His will is done in heaven. So the Kingdom of God/Heaven is a spiritual kingdom, consisting of all peoples who worship God, just as the people of heaven do.

Outright, Christ claimed that "The Kingdom of God is within you," as recorded in the gospel of Luke. (The Greek word here literally denotes "within;" the only other time it is used in the NT is to refer to cleaning "that which is within" a cup.)

Spreading the Kingdom of God/Heaven is our goal while we remain on earth. We are to advance the Kingdom so that it covers the whole world, as Daniel 2 depicted a small rock (the "early church" time period of the Kingdom) growing into a mountain that covered the earth (something that has the last 2000 years has proven to be coming true).

The Thousand Year is a time period that Christians who died by the hand of the beast (Revelation 13) will rule alongside Christ as His priests. From that point on, the Thousand Years is only spoken of within the realm of the Revelation, so whether it is literal or symbolic of a longer (or shorter) period of time is up to interpretation.
                        To This Day

Comment

Originally posted by markedward View Post
                          The Kingdom of God and the Kingdom of Heaven are the same. Where Mark and Luke say "Kingdom of God," Matthew instead says "Kingdom of Heaven." The three authors use them in exactly the same manner and even in the exact same sayings attributed to Jesus. There is no reason to infer they are different considering the three authors use the two sayings in every way the same.
                          There is plenty of reasons to put a difference between the two. For instance, the Kingdom of God is universal, while the Kingdom of Heaven is mesianic and davidic. The KOG is entered only by the new birth, while there are unbelievers in the KOH (Matt. 13:3; 8:12). The parables of the wheat and tares, and of the net (Matt. 13:24-30,36-43, 47-50) are not spoken of the KOG. The KOG is "not meat and drink," while the KOH is!
                          There are a lot more distinctions but a duck is not a chicken, a dog is not a cat, a monkey is not a human, and the KOG is NOT the KOH, although they do have some similarities.

Comment

Saying the two are different simply because the three different gospels give different explanations isn't sufficient enough. The three gospels have more than enough of the same parables/quotes of Jesus that are attributed to both the Kingdom of God and the Kingdom of Heaven.

The parables of the wheat and tares, and of the net (Matt. 13:24-30,36-43, 47-50) are not spoken of the KOG.
                            Nitpicking. Just because Matthew has extra parables to describe the Kingdom compared to Mark doesn't mean they're different. Just because one person describes a soda can as being "red" and another describes it as being "red and white" doesn't mean they're talking about a different can just because one gave more explanation.

there are unbelievers in the KOH (Matt. 13:3; 8:12).
                            "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."

And again, you should know that the three gospels are not exactly the same, nor do they tell everything that the other two tell. So just that Matthew or Mark or Luke may tell certain things differently about the Kingdom that are absent from the other two doesn't mean they're describing entirely different Kingdoms.

Luke 8:10 He said, "The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that, 'though seeing, they may not see; though hearing, they may not understand.'"

Matthew 13:10 He replied, "The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them."

Or...

Mark 4:30-32 Again he said, "What shall we say the kingdom of God is like, or what parable shall we use to describe it? It is like a mustard seed, which is the smallest seed you plant in the ground. Yet when planted, it grows and becomes the largest of all garden plants, with such big branches that the birds of the air can perch in its shade."

Matthew 13:31-32 He told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. Though it is the smallest of all your seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and perch in its branches."

They're the same thing. Saying otherwise is nitpicking.

Besides, Mark's gospel outright says...

"With many similar parables Jesus spoke the word to them, as much as they could understand."

Mark directly states that Jesus used many parables, so it's easy to see that Matthew makes use of these other parables, while Mark only mentions them in passing. That doesn't mean they're different Kingdoms.
                            To This Day

Comment

1. Heaven
                              2. Kingdom of Heaven
                              3. Kingdom of God
                              4. The millenium
                              I will take a stab at 1 through 3:

1. Heaven: Heaven is "God's dimension" or "God's space" - it is also "where" Jesus is right now. And it is the place where dead saints "rest" (perhaps consciously) until they are resurrected on a remade earth. Heaven is not a "place" in our Universe - as in "up in the sky somewhere". But it is a real "space". Heaven is temporary. As Revelation 21 tells us, heaven and earth will ultimately merge.

2. Despite widespread belief to the contrary, the Kingdom of Heaven is not the same thing as "Heaven". The term "Kingdom of Heaven" refers to the imminent inbreaking of God's rule over this world. It is a description of a world run by God. The Kingdom of Heaven is here right now. But, as another poster has said, it will only be fully realized at some point in the future. The parables are stories about the Kingdom of Heaven - about what the world looks like when God is running it. And Jesus has already been installed as King. He is an "absentee" King in a sense, but in another sense He is not. One of the biggest errors of the church is not understanding that the Kingdom of Heaven is already here and underway.

3. The term "Kingdom of God" means the same thing as the "Kingdom of Heaven".

Comment

Working...
                              X