Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seventh Day Adventism

Are they saved? What do you say?

People are saved based on whether or not they have accepted Yeshua as Lord and Savior, not based on the name of their church.
    II Timothy 2:15
    Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
    Read My Testimony sigpic Visit Our Website

Comment

If you repented of your sin and accepted Jesus as your savior, that is the requirement from scripture.

I don't know much about them other than they seem very legalistic and want to argue about the Sabbath being on Saturday. Bottom line is it doesn't matter. Every day is a sabbath day in Jesus.

Comment

I knew a Hungarian SDA at Bible College and I would say she was saved, just bound up in some extra traditions and very legalistic. Mind you, she told us we were all going to Hell for not observing the Sabbath Saturday and that that was what Jesus meant about separating the sheep and the goats!

Comment

Can always count on poochie to ask the easy questions My own ministry has often been inundated with Seventh-Day-Adventists. So many of my peers insist the 7th dayers are well within the pale of orthodoxy... very frustrating. If one sincerely believes the doctrine of the Sabbath as presented by them, and continues therein... I don't see how he or she could be saved. The contradictions between law & grace would (and often do) become too evident.

The claim made by several SDA apologists that their religion is in fact a special dispensation...a unique and separate church sent to edify the Body of Christ, echoes the similar claims of LDS among others.

Their Gospel is that of the "Seventh Day," which in their interpretation is the millenium age. Their message points to the future millennial age as man's only hope... rather than salvation by faith in the finished work of our Lord on the cross.
          But many within that organization do not ascribe to or even understand this doctrine. I've seen more than a few come to Christ.

"Seventh Day Adventism" stands for the return (advent) of Christ on the seventh day, a day consisting of 1000 years.
          Last edited by IMINXTC; Aug 15th 2008, 09:57 AM. Reason: spelling etc

Comment

SFASH, I am not SDA but I keep Sabbath as Yeshua did. Do you believe this one fact makes me unsaved? Why? Because I follow the Ten Commandments? I know that I am not UNDER the Law but I also know that His Law has been written in my heart. It is my DESIRE. What I do not do is lord the Sabbath over anyone else around me (children, hubby, friends). Nor am I legalistic concerning it knowing that as Yeshua clearly shows us, it IS good to do good on the Sabbath. But would you sit in judgment over me because we interpret scripture differently? If you have accepted the sacrifice (the only sacrifice) that covers the sin of the world and have put yourself under the authority of Messiah....I would count you as my brother as I would a SDA who has done the same. It would be quite a shame if you do not count me as a sister in Him simply because I remember the Sabbath day. BTW, I have met SDAs who do NOT condemn others to hell or count Sunday service as the mark of the beast, and btw faith in the finished work of Messiah is not cast aside simply because they look forward to the second advent (coming) of Christ as do MOST other believers. Thusly, I stand by my original answer that it is not the name of your church that saves you. God knows the heart, I don't. If anyone has an SDA friend they are concerned about, talk to them about their salvation to find out what they are putting their hope in. Don't just take the word of others who tell you what they think they believe.

God Bless!
            Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Comment

Respose to Studyin'2Show.

I certainly do not think that one is condemned in keeping the Sabbath. Every day is Sabbath to me in Christ though there may be some who would condemn me. In my experience I have met many SDAs who were simply confused on the issue of salvation by grace because of the emphasis on law. Not all, just many. It behoves me, us, to help men and women to learn to rest (Sabbath) completely in Christ. My attitude toward them is not judgemental.

I have ran into variations in SDA doctrines, they do not all ascribe to the things which are often cited as heterodoxy by many.

Some of the things I mentioned, especially the emphasis on the millenium as the hope of mankind seem to have been pretty recent developments.
              Some SDA theologians (not all) believe the church is a remnant church. They have come under fire for this, but not all SDA apologists make this claim.

I have personally seen more than a few come to a surprising realization of grace and grace alone as the means of salvation, and learn to rest in Christ by simply reading the admonitons of the New Testament.

"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come: but the body is of Christ." Col 2:16,17

Shalom. Lord Bless. Shabbat!
              Last edited by IMINXTC; Aug 16th 2008, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SFASH View Post
                "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come: but the body is of Christ." Col 2:16,17

Shalom. Lord Bless. Shabat!
                Yet, ironically, YOU are judging me in respect to the sabbath day. That passage goes both ways. So, I will listen to the words of Paul and not allow anyone to judge me in respect to Sabbath. I'm surprised you don't see the hypocrisy. It would probably be best if we, as disciples of Yeshua, focus on sharing the Gospel with all creatures and not on attempting to analyze the salvation of another.

God Bless!

Comment

I have heard Walter Veith say they are the remenant of the only true Church based on some obscure date wich i cant remember and also that Jesus is the Arch Angel Michael, and that if you worship on Sunday you are following the pope, wich they have a reasonable point on as it was Rome who changed the day of worship, but scripture says the Lord is our sabbath and we rest in him wich clears it all up for me.

I'm sure there are many genuine believers in a lot of diverse places and churchs that i wouldn't want to go to but thats just me. But SDA is not for me and i wouldn't advise anyone to go there.

Main point has been mentioned, has the person Repented and now lives and believes in Yeshua Hamashiac, or Jesus the Christ.

Comment

My encounters with them have been... strained to say the least. I've overheard one say she could tell the SDA houses in the neighborhood b/c they were always nice and manicured?!?!?!?! They are a haughty group them.
                    My memory is nearly gone;
                    but I remember two things;
                    That I am a great sinner, and
                    that Christ is a great Saviour.
                    John Newton (1725-1807)
                    English minister and hymn writer

Comment

Originally posted by sunsetssplendor View Post
                      They are a haughty group them.
                      Oddly there are many (believers and unbelievers alike) who would make such a judgment about Christians who are not SDA. We have to be VERY careful when we start pre-judging a whole group of people. That is called prejudice.

God Bless!

Comment

Can always count on poochie to ask the easy questions My own ministry has often been inundated with Seventh-Day-Adventists. So many of my peers insist the 7th dayers are well within the pale of orthodoxy... very frustrating. If one sincerely believes the doctrine of the Sabbath as presented by them, and continues therein... I don't see how he or she could be saved. The contradictions between law & grace would (and often do) become too evident.
                        I am SDA. Interesting thread. It has often been claimed that Seventh Day Adventists are 'legalistic' because they promote and exalt the law of God. Here I have pasted a copy of a previous post of mine promoting the law. Your comments would interest me.

I am not a builder, but I've knocked up a few dog boxes over the years. A building inspector would not have been impressed but the dogs loved them. Set me loose on a larger project however like a house and it will soon become apparent that I am not even vaguely familiar with the laws and principles that govern design, architecture, carpentry, engineering or any other associated trade. I would be quite hamstrung by my lack of familiarity and knowledge.

A skilled tradesman however, through his knowledge, experience and obedience to the the laws that govern the building trade can erect a house that is safe and habitable, and he may also ad his own personal touches to enhance it's appearance.

The same with music. One who keeps to the laws of harrmony, rythym, and melody may add personality to the music and the result is pleasant and acceptable to the ears.

But put someone like me in charge of building a house who doesn't undersatnd and therefore cannot obey the appropriate laws and you will end up with a leaky house that will inevitably fall over in the first wind. Put me in charge of a concerto and you will finish with punk rock.

All walks of life are the same, and are governed by law. Trade, commerce, sport, entertainment, politics, society as a whole. All have laws.

Why is it then that so many Christians balk and doubt when it comes to the kingdom of God? Shall not God have laws also to govern His kingdom? Yet so many claim that Christians are exempt, or 'free' from the laws of God. Shall the Creator of the universe, who placed such awesome natural laws in place to govern the physical (eg gravity), then choose to dispense with laws to govern the spiritual? Shal the powers and rulers of this world legislate law to govern society yet the God who allows them to rule have no law?

I put it to you that God's laws are as valid and as binding ,even more so, than any other law. Even more so for the Christian who claims God as his Father. As acn be seen from the examples above, familiarity and obedience to law, enables us to express ourselves with true freedom. The more familiar and experienced we become, the better the craft we practice, the greater the skill we are able to employ. In whatever trade are hobby or pastime we apply ourselves to, if we obey the laws that govern those particular areas of our lives we can then add our own personality to them and we are then leading a more fulfilled, ordered, purposeful and complete life.

Jesus promises an abundant life to all who love and know Him. This abundancy can only be fully realised as we obey the laws of God that He has put in place for our good, and our welfare.

True freedom comes only within the confines of law, outside of law freedom becomes chaos, disorder, lawlessness, and in the spiritual realm, death.

The claim made by several SDA apologists that their religion is in fact a special dispensation...a unique and separate church sent to edify the Body of Christ, echoes the similar claims of LDS among others.
                        Just prior to the flood, God sent Noah to preach repentance and offer hope.
                        Just prior to the impending destruction of Nineveh God sent Jonah.
                        Just prior to to the first advent God sent John the Baptist.
                        Very very soon the second advent will be upon us. The climax and ultimate end to 6000 years of rebellion against the Creator and Ruler of the universe. Does it not make sense that God will send someone to warn the world of the impending destruction? Will you recognise that person when he/she comes? It was the church that crucified Jesus. Are you so sure of yourself that you might not be so self-sufficient and complacent that you may not do the same? I am not permitted to promote SDA doctrine in these forums. All I am doing here is challenging you to make sure you know what you are talking about before you publicly condemn anyone.
                        Their Gospel is that of the "Seventh Day," which in their interpretation is the millenium age. Their message points to the future millennial age as man's only hope... rather than salvation by faith in the finished work of our Lord on the cross.
                        But many within that organization do not ascribe to or even understand this doctrine. I've seen more than a few come to Christ.

"Seventh Day Adventism" stands for the return (advent) of Christ on the seventh day, a day consisting of 1000 years.
                        Interesting that you say the 'finished work of the cross'. That is quite typical of modern ministry - teaching only half the gospel. You neglect the resurrection, for our Lord's death may have taken our debt away, but does not complete our hope of eternity. His resurrection ensures our life.
                        Ro 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Not only our eternal life, but the power of His resurrection also brings to us the changes that He makes to our lives in the here and now.
                        Ro 5:17 For if by one manís offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

His resurrection enables us to receive His Spirit and be conformed into His image and character. His ministry in heaven as our intercessor and mediator before the throne of God is just as essential a part of the plan of salvation as was His sacrifice. The OT temple services were a type of the gospel. The sacrifice was just the first step.
                        Obedience for the Christian to the commandments of God is just as essential as obedience was for Israel. It's a complete package.

And with all due respect, I don't know where you got your teaching re the millenium from, but it sure didn't come from any official SDA teaching guide.Take care that you don't condemn an entire organisation on the basis of either rumour and second-hand opinion, nor even on a misinformed member of the church. I have written extensively in these forums over recent times, on a variety of subjects. Every one of them I write as a Seventh Day Adventist. You are welcome to read some of my contributions and tear me apart if you wish.
                        Jeremiah 15:16 Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and
                        rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

Comment

Originally posted by brakelite View Post
                          Just prior to the flood, God sent Noah to preach repentance and offer hope.
                          Just prior to the impending destruction of Nineveh God sent Jonah.
                          Just prior to to the first advent God sent John the Baptist.
                          Very very soon the second advent will be upon us. The climax and ultimate end to 6000 years of rebellion against the Creator and Ruler of the universe. Does it not make sense that God will send someone to warn the world of the impending destruction?
                          No, different situation now than those examples.

Now Christ has come. The time of ''new Propets" bearing warnings is over.

Hebrews 1:1 "
                          God in the past spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son"

Matthew 11:13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John

John 14:26 the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; they are they which testify of me.

Acts 17:11 (The Bereans) received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

I Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect

2 Peter 2:1 there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies

So we can do as the Bereans, faithfully search and heed the Scriptures, learn from the Holy Spirit as our teacher, and avoiding the babblings of false teachers like Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, Charles Taze Russell, Arnold Murray, Bennie Hinn, and yes Ellen G. White, who the SDA wrongly esteem and elevate as a trustworthy Modern Prophet.

Will you recognise that person when he/she comes?
                          2 Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you
                          Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you
                          Matthew 24:4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

Yes, and that is exactly why Mainstream Protestantism heeds the above scriptures and why Mainstream Protestantism rejects the false teachings of SDA prophetess Ellen G. White, and others like her who come along from time to time misleading those who will give there false teachings an ear.

It was the church that crucified Jesus. Are you so sure of yourself that you might not be so self-sufficient and complacent that you may not do the same?
                          All humanity is to blame, luckily the church has been taught to seek repentance and to shun and avoid false prophets like Ellen G. White, who the SDA accept and embrace.

Why don't you renounce and turn from her and the false teachings that have crept into the SDA church Today?

Comment

Originally posted by Studyin'2Show View Post
                            Oddly there are many (believers and unbelievers alike) who would make such a judgment about Christians who are not SDA. We have to be VERY careful when we start pre-judging a whole group of people. That is called prejudice.

God Bless!
                            Agreed. SDA's vary greatly just like every other group. Whenever another holds to a practice that someone does not see or agree with you will often hear that someone start using the "L" word. todd

Comment

Originally posted by valleybldr View Post
                              Agreed. SDA's vary greatly just like every other group. Whenever another holds to a practice that someone does not see or agree with you will often hear that someone start using the "L" word. todd
                              Excuse my ignorance but what is the 'L' word?

Comment

Working...
                              X