Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion Picking up Snakes with your hands

Snake Handlers

Mark 16:17-18: "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover"

Anyone know of anyone in this radical sect?

Don't know anyone personally...

But years ago when I was stationed in North Carolina there were a couple of "churches" in the backwoods that I know of who practiced snake handling...

I always wondered if people stayed there after getting bitten...
    Ιησούς Χριστός ο κυριος μου και ο θεος μου

****When the Lord opens a door, don't walk through it....run full speed; if it's the wrong one He'll let ya know...sometimes He just wants to see if you'll move at all!****

A Minister of God Ministry - Support and understanding for a Christian serving in the military

Comment

I knew a Texan woman online who went to a Oneness church which practiced this.

Comment

I've wondered how these folks reconcile the following passage to their practices:

Matthew 4:5-7:

Then the devil took Him up into the holy city, set Him on the pinnacle of the temple and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down. For it is written: ‘ He shall give His angels charge over you,’ and,‘ In their hands they shall bear you up, Lest you dash your foot against a stone.’”

Jesus said to him, “It is written again, ‘You shall not tempt the LORD your God.’” (Literally: You shall not put the LORD your God to the test).
        Ιησούς Χριστός ο κυριος μου και ο θεος μου

****When the Lord opens a door, don't walk through it....run full speed; if it's the wrong one He'll let ya know...sometimes He just wants to see if you'll move at all!****

A Minister of God Ministry - Support and understanding for a Christian serving in the military

Comment

On a personal level I...LOVE SNAKES...would love to have a python as a pet. But getting to the OP...a few years I saw a doco on tv about a sort of religious group who were handling what I think were deadly snakes. It all looked a bit odd to me....not my cup of tea at all.

Rocky.

Comment

Mine neither. Thanks..

Originally posted by Rocking horse View Post
            On a personal level I...LOVE SNAKES...would love to have a python as a pet. But getting to the OP...a few years I saw a doco on tv about a sort of religious group who were handling what I think were deadly snakes. It all looked a bit odd to me....not my cup of tea at all.

Rocky.

Comment

Originally posted by poochie View Post
              Snake Handlers

Mark 16:17-18: "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover"

Yep I know one personsally. She is an ex-shake handler thank the Lord! Her life was ruined by sin, her marriage was on the rocks, and she was headed for destruction. God was so faithful to deal with her heart and she came out to truth, got saved & sanctified and delivered from sin. It's amazing how God can change a person and their life. Just proof of His almighty power.

Also, that scripture is obviously used for snake handling, but I'd like to make two points:

Lu 4:12 And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
              Mt 4:7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

We are not to tempt the Lord in any way, snake handling included. Also in Acts 28:3-5 Paul was bitten by a poisonous snake, should have died, but God divinely protected him. Thus proving the truth of Mark 16:17-18. God protects those that are called into the mission field to preach the gospel. God protects His people today as well, he hasn't changed.

Comment

Playing with poisonous snakes and speaking in unknown gibberish languages while doing so?

Looks like the Holy Spirit moving to me?

Comment

I don't know anyone in this, though I know people who know others who are in this.

It's amazing what abuses people will do with a verse.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Comment

Originally posted by TrustGzus View Post
                    It's amazing what abuses people will do with a verse.
                    How do we know this is not from the Holy Spirit?

They are pentecostal Christians who do everything else a normal pentecostal church person does, they just add the snake handling to the mix. They do the same gibberish languages, the same slaying in the spirit, the same dancing in the spirit, etc........................ as every other main stream pentecostal church does. How can we say they are not being led by the Holy Spirit to do these things? Can the Holy Spirit operate outside of the Biblical scriptures? Pentecostals say the Holy Spirit can.

Comment

Originally posted by poochie View Post

I do not know of anyone who practices this; however, I would like to point out that Jesus said, do not put the Lord God to the test. That is, don't throw yourself in harms way just to prove your faith.

Of course there are proper ways of handling snakes, I am not referring to those who know how to handle them properly.

-Steven
                      1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Comment

The serpent is the symbol for Satan. The serpent is seen throughout the Bible to signify Satan. Satan is this serpent that believers can take up without being harmed. That is the security that every believer possesses in Christ.

Revelations 12:9 "and the great dragon was cast out, that Old Serpent, called the devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world..."

God uses the sign of the serpent to signify Satan. Even from the very beginning the serpent in the garden of Eden illustrated Satan. Likewise, those who are of Satan are also pictured as serpents. And there are also many illustrations of this.

Matthew 23:33 "ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell".

When we become saved, we come to rule over the serpent (Satan) without fear. But, to the unbeliever, the serpent (Satan) has rule over them. Unbelievers are slaves to Satan where he holds sin as the power of death over them. Christ freed us from bondage to Satan (serpent) at the cross where he no longer rules over us.

Hebrews 2:14-15 "..that through death He might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the Devil, and deliver them who through FEAR of death were all their lifetime subject unto BONDAGE".

Before we were Saved, we were in bondage to Satan and had death hanging over our heads, but now we have no more fear of that old serpent, because we have been delivered from him, and he no longer holds the 'power of death' over us. By Christ's death we have conquered that fear of that old serpent, that we can handle him without fear of harm.

Luke chapter 10 verses 19 and 20 gives us an illustration of this same principle.

Luke 10:19 "Behold, I give unto you power to tread on Serpents and scorpions, and over all the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you."

Is this the Lord giving them the power and commission to go around the countryside stomping on literal snakes and scorpions? No! If you walk through the desert, will literal snakes and scorpions clear a path for you because you are Christian? How many Christians will even see a snake or scorpion? Is that what the Lord is really concerned about, securing them that they might not get bitten by a snake in the grass? Not at all! That is not the power of the enemy. The power of the enemy Jesus speaks about here is the power of Satan. Serpents and Scorpions in scripture 'signify' Satan. Those who are spiritually serpents and scorpions (those of Satan) is who God is concerned that these His servants are not harmed by. God is illustrating something far more important than mere snakes and scorpions who by chance we might come upon. But the spirit Satan whom we might come upon.

The serpent that the believers will take up and not be harmed, is Satan.

1st Peter 3:12-13 "For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil. And who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good?"

The answer of course is no one and nothing can harm us. Even if we are physically killed, as believers that simply translates us into the Kingdom of heaven. So yes, this sign does follow those who believe. In Christ's Name they take up Serpents without fear because that serpent, Satan has no power to harm them anymore.

Many Blessings,
                        RW

Comment

Originally posted by RogerW View Post
                          The serpent is the symbol for Satan. The serpent is seen throughout the Bible to signify Satan. Satan is this serpent that believers can take up without being harmed. That is the security that every believer possesses in Christ.

Revelations 12:9 "and the great dragon was cast out, that Old Serpent, called the devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world..."

God uses the sign of the serpent to signify Satan. Even from the very beginning the serpent in the garden of Eden illustrated Satan. Likewise, those who are of Satan are also pictured as serpents. And there are also many illustrations of this.

Matthew 23:33 "ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell".

When we become saved, we come to rule over the serpent (Satan) without fear. But, to the unbeliever, the serpent (Satan) has rule over them. Unbelievers are slaves to Satan where he holds sin as the power of death over them. Christ freed us from bondage to Satan (serpent) at the cross where he no longer rules over us.

Hebrews 2:14-15 "..that through death He might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the Devil, and deliver them who through FEAR of death were all their lifetime subject unto BONDAGE".

Before we were Saved, we were in bondage to Satan and had death hanging over our heads, but now we have no more fear of that old serpent, because we have been delivered from him, and he no longer holds the 'power of death' over us. By Christ's death we have conquered that fear of that old serpent, that we can handle him without fear of harm.

Luke chapter 10 verses 19 and 20 gives us an illustration of this same principle.

Luke 10:19 "Behold, I give unto you power to tread on Serpents and scorpions, and over all the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you."

Is this the Lord giving them the power and commission to go around the countryside stomping on literal snakes and scorpions? No! If you walk through the desert, will literal snakes and scorpions clear a path for you because you are Christian? How many Christians will even see a snake or scorpion? Is that what the Lord is really concerned about, securing them that they might not get bitten by a snake in the grass? Not at all! That is not the power of the enemy. The power of the enemy Jesus speaks about here is the power of Satan. Serpents and Scorpions in scripture 'signify' Satan. Those who are spiritually serpents and scorpions (those of Satan) is who God is concerned that these His servants are not harmed by. God is illustrating something far more important than mere snakes and scorpions who by chance we might come upon. But the spirit Satan whom we might come upon.

The serpent that the believers will take up and not be harmed, is Satan.

1st Peter 3:12-13 "For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil. And who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good?"

The answer of course is no one and nothing can harm us. Even if we are physically killed, as believers that simply translates us into the Kingdom of heaven. So yes, this sign does follow those who believe. In Christ's Name they take up Serpents without fear because that serpent, Satan has no power to harm them anymore.

Many Blessings,
                          RW
                          You are correct, but the question is, can the Holy Spirit allow us to do things and allow us to behave in ways outside of scripture? Charismatics do this all the time, and they say it's the Holy spirit, but is it?

Comment

Mark isn't talking about handling snakes. He is talking about what happened to Paul as we read in Acts, when he reached his hand out to build a fire and was bit on the hand by a snake.

Comment

When I can actually move a real mountain with mustard seed faith, I will have no worries about lowly snakes.

Comment

Working...
                              X