No announcement yet.

How does the Flood make sense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion How does the Flood make sense?

I've just been wondering...how does the Flood make any sense at all?

Like, here are a few things:

Rainbows- God sent the rainbow as a promise that he would never flood the earth again right? Were there no rainbows before then?

Migration- After the flood...how did the animals cross oceans to get to their habitats? Especially some kinds, like, koalas and kangaroos that only exist in australia. Also, koala's only eat eucalyptus trees...

Fish- If there was a huge flood, wouldn't that have effectively mixed all the freshwater and saltwater? And, if i remember correctly from AP biology two years ago...very few saltwater fish can survive in freshwater, and very few freshwater fish can survive in saltwater. How did any fish survive?

Speaking of AP Biology...what about fruit flies? I remember those things have freaking short life spans (They're adults after about 5 hours), but they breed like nobody's business. Wouldn't the ark have been completely overrun?

Then the animals.. How were 2 of every kind fit inside? Isn't that impossible considering how many animals there are?

I'm just curious is all...i'm a very curious guy.

Also...something else sort of not related to the flood:

In the Garden of Eden everything ate plants right? Well...what about Venus fly traps? O.O

I don't know how many varieties of animals there were back then. It would have been difficult to build an ark large enough to accommodate two of every kind of animal. The ark would have been a project that took many years to complete, and many people would have worked on this. I've heard that the ark is somewhere in the world today, buried on a mountain somewhere. Perhaps Noah did his best to get most species of animals on there.

Comment

Let's start from a different perspective. If there had never been a worldwide flood how do you account for the fossils of sea creatures on top of present day mountains?

Comment

I have no idea. Science suggest plate tectonics, arguing that they weren't originally mountains or something, but i don't know much about that. The flood makes sense for some things, but while answering some questions, it raises others. Like the ones i asked, for example.

I mean...I'm a devout christian, but...so many things are starting to lead me to believe that i shouldn't take the book of genesis literally...

Comment

I mean...I'm a devout christian, but...so many things are starting to lead me to believe that i shouldn't take the book of genesis literally...[/quote]

That's sounds scary.....When I begin to question God or the validity of the Bible I stop and think "Where's Satan?" He is always at work and loves it when we questions such things. Some questions we will never know the answers...until we meet Him in heaven. As for myself, I can't wait......I have so many.
          Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.
          Psalm 62:5
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianSlash View Post
            I mean...I'm a devout christian, but...so many things are starting to lead me to believe that i shouldn't take the book of genesis literally...
            That's sounds scary.....When I begin to question God or the validity of the Bible I stop and think "Where's Satan?" He is always at work and loves it when we questions such things. Some questions we will never know the answers...until we meet Him in heaven. As for myself, I can't wait......I have so many
            Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.
            Psalm 62:5
            sigpic

Comment

*sigh*

The bible doesn't say to believe without questioning.

Hos 4:6 (NIV) My people are destroyed from lack of knowledge.

Prov 19:2 (NIV) It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way.

Rom 10:2 (NIV) For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge.

If you don't have an answer you could at least say so...

It's just that everything else in the Bible makes sense. But so many things in Genesis leave me bewildered. Creation? I can more or less understand that, and I'm not a gap theorist or one of the people that thinks a day means a thousand years or something. It's just certain little things bug me. Like, the things i asked in my post.

Comment

*sigh*

Hos 4:6 (NIV) My people are destroyed from lack of knowledge.

Prov 19:2 (NIV) It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way.

Rom 10:2 (NIV) For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge.

If you don't have an answer you could at least say so...
                But if the Bible says something then we are to believe it even if we don't know how it happened or don't have all the details.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BrckBrln View Post
                  But if the Bible says something then we are to believe it even if we don't know how it happened or don't have all the details.
                  Yeah I know..but...aren't those things perplexing to you too? How on earth could land animals migrate across oceans?

Comment

Yeah I know..but...aren't those things perplexing to you too? How on earth could land animals migrate across oceans?
                    Well I'm not the kinda guy you should be asking these questions to.

I am not one that's well read in this area so I don't really know anything except that a flood happened.
                    sigpic

Comment

I agree with the posts above. I think this is the second time i have replied to a post of yours questioning the Word of God/ the bible?

If every scientist on this earth said, that Genesis in it's entirity was unlikely or wrong - it would not interest me in the least.

I am a Christian - I believe the bible.

If others want to speculate beyond what the bible actually says, or what happened before/ after the food in detail - i believe they are wasting valuable time and effort. God reveals what he wants us to know and to want to know more that God has kept hidden is sin.

I do hope you can except God's Will through scripture soon and avoid speculating on what God has decided to hide from humans. SofTy.
                      1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul?

KJV

May the power of the Spirit of our God unite us. SofTy.

Comment

Rainbows- God sent the rainbow as a promise that he would never flood the earth again right? Were there no rainbows before then?
                        My memory might be wrong, but I don't believe it says anywhere in the Bible that there were no rainbows before the flood. God uses the rainbow as a symbol of a reminder of the flood. It doesn't say it was the first one. Bread is a symbol of Passover. Was there no bread before Passover?

Migration- After the flood...how did the animals cross oceans to get to their habitats? Especially some kinds, like, koalas and kangaroos that only exist in australia. Also, koala's only eat eucalyptus trees...
                        Many animals probably crossed by land bridges. Most people (including evolutionists) agree that animals and people crossed the Bering Straits by lands bridges from Asia to the Americas.

Koala may only prefer to eat eucalyptus trees now, but there is no reason to assume that they couldn't have adapted.

More info here: How Did Animals Spread All Over the World from Where the Ark Landed? - answersingenesis.org

Fish- If there was a huge flood, wouldn't that have effectively mixed all the freshwater and saltwater? And, if i remember correctly from AP biology two years ago...very few saltwater fish can survive in freshwater, and very few freshwater fish can survive in saltwater. How did any fish survive?
                        Most probably didn't survive. Small numbers that survived in pockets of salt/fresh water is enough to repopulate afterwards. See here for more: How Did Fish Survive Noah’s Flood? - answersingenesis.org

Speaking of AP Biology...what about fruit flies? I remember those things have freaking short life spans (They're adults after about 5 hours), but they breed like nobody's business. Wouldn't the ark have been completely overrun?
                        Yeah, probably very yucky

Then the animals.. How were 2 of every kind fit inside? Isn't that impossible considering how many animals there are?
                        How many animals are there?

Noah only needed 2 dogs, not every breed of dog. Even dog breeders today tell us that they can reproduce ever breed of dog alive today, starting with only 2 dogs and about 20 generations of time.

So how many kinds of animals are there?
                        Many scientists place that number between a few thousand to about 15,000. The Ark could easily accommodate that payload. See here for details on the Ark's dimensions: worldwideflood.com

Here's some sites you may find interesting:

answersingenesis.org - Noah’s Flood
                        worldwideflood.com
                        www.creationwiki.org - Global flood
                        http://www.mychristiansite.com/personal/vision/ <-- My site. Check it out

http://www.freehovind.com Please sign the petition to pardon Kent Hovind.

Comment

I have no idea. Science suggest plate tectonics, arguing that they weren't originally mountains or something, but i don't know much about that.
                          That could happen - if two tectonic plates slide into each other, they create mountains by pushing up the rock which would have originally been underwater.

I also saw a documentary once (it wasn't specifically Christian) about the flood, and they suspect that it wasn't the entire world that flooded - just a large section over near the Black Sea, which was where most of the population was concentrated at that time. So in that sense it did flood their "world" because it was the extent of the earth that was discovered at that point, but not the entire surface of the earth.

I wouldn't mind if that was the case, but I'd believe that God could flood the entire world if he wanted to, and found ways to keep the animals and such alive (either on Noah's ark or other ways).

Comment

*sigh*

Your highlighted quote from the NIV puts everything into context. They perish because they lack the knowledge they should have gained from studying God's Word. That and the verse escapes at the moment but Jesus taught us to believe as a small child. When I raised my children I fathered them and in doing so I remained close to them until they began their adult lives. When I would tell them something they believed it because I was their dad. If God is, to you, abba, father which translates dad, father, why would you doubt? God does not lie but scientists do.

Comment

You only need 2 "kinds" of every animal to breed all the varieties of shapes, sizes, and colors, in that given species. The arc was plenty big enough, and them some, to house 2 of every "kind" of animal. Sea creatures live in the water, so a flood would not harm them. Then there is the supernatural sparing of some of the species of animals by God himself to factor in. God has the power to do what he wants, when he wants, and God is not limited to the Earthly laws of physics that we humans are limited to. God created the laws of physics we observe in the Universe after all. After the flood animals migrated accross the land bridges to other countries around the globe, that were not covered by water 1000's of years ago. After they were covered by water, the land animals were trapped in the locations they migrated to shortly after the flood.

Comment

Working...
                              X