Why didn't the Jews believe in Jesus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why didn't the Jews believe in Jesus?

I've given you my opinion on the subject, and now I'd like to hear yours.

Did some conspiracy by the rabbis keep the Jews in the dark? Ignorance of Jewish scripture? Spiritual blindness?

I'll take any and all opinions on the subject.

Would it be disrepectfull to say the Jews of the day were wrapped up in tradition and missed the Messiah ?

it could go deeper the pharasee's and sagasees (spelling?) seen the miracles and still rejected Him, So they had seen the power of the messiah and still rejected him...for this i have no reason ? research needed on my part

could you give your brief opinin or direct to thread were you gave it please ?

Comment

Originally posted by Nobunaga View Post
      Would it be disrepectfull to say the Jews of the day were wrapped up in tradition and missed the Messiah ?
      If that's what you believe, then that's what I want to hear. I'm interested in opinions, not sparing my feelings...

it could go deeper the pharasee's and sagasees (spelling?) seen the miracles and still rejected Him, So they had seen the power of the messiah and still rejected him...for this i have no reason ? research needed on my part
      OK, so you're unsure....
      could you give your brief opinin or direct to thread were you gave it please ?
      I had a rather lengthy thread o it that I can't find at the moment...which is just as well, because it will derail this one...

Comment

Originally posted by Fenris View Post

OK, so you're unsure....
        I believe God is soverign and nothing happens outside his will

I can say it was the will of God that it happened but i dont think that is what your looking for ?

I had a rather lengthy thread o it that I can't find at the moment...which is just as well, because it will derail this one...

No worries my Friend it dosn't matter, i'm sure we will get there in due course, i can see you getting into quite a discussion in this topic in no time at all ....

Comment

I believe God is soverign and nothing happens outside his will

I can say it was the will of God that it happened but i dont think that is what your looking for ?
          Well, everything is the will of God. But I'm curious as to what the Jews were thinking when they denied Jesus as the messiah.

No worries my Friend it dosn't matter, i'm sure we will get there in due course, i can see you getting into quite a discussion in this topic in no time at all ....

I think it was posted in a section of this board that no longer exists.

Comment

Did some conspiracy by the rabbis keep the Jews in the dark? Ignorance of Jewish scripture? Spiritual blindness?

I can't help wondering how much of it was down to expecting a great King to be born to obvious royalty so he grew up while they were proverbially looking the other way. I suppose it's a bit like if, say, you knew that George Bush was coming to visit you'd be looking out for a presidential motorcade and if he then turned up on a rickety bicycle you wouldn't notice him coming.

The Pharisees and Sadducees, being keepers of the Law, had obviously got a nice little earner going on being able to make a profit out of people keeping the Law. They seemed to have some involvement in the money-changing in the Temple because they appeared hostile to Jesus throwing the traders out. Then Jesus came along and shook up their world, trying to show them that the Law was about the spirit rather than the letter. So they had a vested interest in turning people against Jesus.

As to the reason the crowds chose Barabbas over Jesus, I wish I knew
            24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
            I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
            I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

---

1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
            1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.

Comment

[quote=Fenris;1754048]
              Well, everything is the will of God. But I'm curious as to what the Jews were thinking when they denied Jesus as the messiah.
              Ok i'll try harder i didn't think that would satisfy.

I think there a few reasons, the Jews at the time were looking for the messiah described as the King that would bring peace on earth and conquer Israels enemies. But they did not see the suffering servant or priestly messiah in front of thier eyes.

i think this is the main issue

I understand that some Jews say there will be more than one messiah ? being a Christian i believe there is one messiah who will come twice.

First meek and lowley on a donkey and second as a king riding on the clouds.

Comment

Jesus quotes Isaiah which points to the reason for their rejection being that God was bringing judgment upon them rather than salvation. The remnant however did hear Him and thousands were saved.

(Mat 13:11-17 KJV) He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. {12} For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. {13} Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. {14} And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: {15} For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. {16} But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear. {17} For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

(Isa 6:8-12 KJV) Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me. {9} And he said, Go, and tell this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not. {10} Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed. {11} Then said I, Lord, how long? And he answered, Until the cities be wasted without inhabitant, and the houses without man, and the land be utterly desolate, {12} And the LORD have removed men far away, and there be a great forsaking in the midst of the land.
                Robin

Truth is so obscure in these times and falsehood so established that, unless one loves the truth, he cannot know it. - Blaise Pascal
                And Jesus saith unto him [Thomas], I am the way the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. - John 14:6
                Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford
                Those who compromise with Christís enemies may be reckoned with them. - C.H. Spurgeon

Comment

Many Thousands upon thousands and Great Multitudes of Jews did believe Jesus.

They were instrumentally used by God in the result of Jesus becoming the most known name on the planet across all nations, tribes, and tongues; and the most influential person throughout history.

Many Jews also didn't, but it was as Jesus predicted it would be.

Matthew 7:13 "Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. "

Here are record of some of the many thousands of Jews who did believe Jesus (prior to the Diaspora and outgoing of the gospel into the Nations).

Acts 2:5, 36-37 "And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call. And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation. Then they gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls."

3000 Jews Believing in Jesus.

Acts 3:25 "Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed. Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities. And as they spake unto the people, the priests, and the captain of the temple, and the Sadducees, came upon them, Being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead. And they laid hands on them, and put them in hold unto the next day: for it was now eventide. Howbeit many of them which heard the word believed; and the number of the men was about five thousand. "

3000 + 5000= 8000 Jews believing in Jesus.

Acts 21:17 "And when we were come to Jerusalem, the brethren received us gladly. And the day following Paul went in with us unto James; and all the elders were present. And when he had saluted them, he declared particularly what things God had wrought among the Gentiles by his ministry. And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord, and said unto him, Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe"

3000 + 5000 + (many thousand, at least 3000) = 11,000 Jews believing in Jesus.

Assuming a 'multitude' is at least 3000 (as Acts 2 designates), and a 'Great Multitude' would be 5000 (per the account of the fishes and loaves); we can continue counting the number of Jews who believed in Jesus to be:

4:1, 29-33 "And as they (Apostles) spake unto the people, the priests, and the captain of the temple, and the Sadducees, came upon them, And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word, By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus. And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness. And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common. And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all. "

11,000 + 3000(this multitude) = 14,000 Jews believing Jesus.

Acts 13:52 "And the disciples were filled with joy, and with the Holy Ghost. And it came to pass in Iconium, that they went both together into the synagogue of the Jews, and so spake, that a great multitude both of the Jews and also of the Greeks believed."

14,000 + 5000(this Great multitude) = 19,000 Jews believing Jesus.

Acts 14:3 "Long time therefore abode they speaking boldly in the Lord, which gave testimony unto the word of his grace, and granted signs and wonders to be done by their hands. But the multitude of the city (Jerusalem) was divided: and part held with the Jews, and part with the apostles."

By this point, Half of Jerusalem was believing in Jesus.

Jerusalem's population was in the 50,000 to 80,000 mark in 1st Century A.D....putting the number of Jews that believed on Jesus based on this passage alone, around the 25-50,000 mark.

This is not even considering all of the multitudes of Jews that believed Jesus and followed Him written about in the 4 gospel accounts; prior to the book of Acts. (zero Gentile multitudes had been contacted yet)

How many Jews were mentioned there?

Matthew 4:25 Great Multitudes
                  Matthew 8:01 Great Multitudes
                  Matthew 8:18 Great Multitudes
                  Matthew 9:08 the Multitudes
                  Matthew 11:07 the Multitudes
                  Matthew 12:15 Great Multitudes
                  Matthew 13:02 Great Multitudes
                  Matthew 14:14 Great Multitude
                  Matthew 15:30 Great Multitudes
                  Matthew 17:14 the multitude
                  Matthew 19:02 Great Multitudes
                  Matthew 20:29 Great Multitude
                  Matthew 21:08 Great Multitude

Fenris,
                  That is a humongous boatload of Jews believing and following Jesus.

Yes, many rejected Him and didn't believe; but so many thousands upon thousands of Jews did believe Jesus....and they were completed in Him, and they found the true long awaited rest for their weary souls.

Why not today Fenris, believe Jesus, and let today be the day of salvation for you, as it once long ago for the Jew Zaccaeus?

Comment

I would just add
                    Daniel 9:25-27 (King James Version)

Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times. And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

If it wasn't Yeshua ....who can it be the temple is destroyed ?

I thought you'd get snowed under pretty quick with replies

Comment

Hi Fenris -

My opinion (and that's ALL it is) is that, like all mankind, they were afraid of change.

Their traditions and their sense of who they were in the world was being challenged.

I guess if I had to choose, I would say willful ignorance coupled with spiritual blindness.

No disrespect intended. As I said, it is only my opinion.
                      V
                      I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
                      - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

I think it was posted in a section of this board that no longer exists.
                        You can still find it,,,, do a search, and look for it in "Controversial " I dunno what I'll be looking for, otherwise I would have found it for you
                        The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
                        God plants in our hearts
                        to remind us
                        there are better things ahead.
                        -Holley Gerth

Comment

OK, some pretty interesting replies so far.

Comment

I would just add
                            Daniel 9:25-27 (King James Version)
                            Please don't start bringing verses that prove who the messiah is. First of all, if I had to respond to them all this would become my full-time job. And anyway, it's not the focus of my question. I'm less interested in which verses were misunderstood by the Jews than in why they were misunderstood.

Comment

Originally posted by David Taylor View Post
                              Many Thousands upon thousands and Great Multitudes of Jews did believe Jesus.
                              Possibly.

But there were about 8 million Jews in the world at that time. If 19,000 followed him then 7,981,000 or about 99.8% didn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X