Question about duplicate passages in the Old Testament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about duplicate passages in the Old Testament

I just noticed while I was reading the the Old Testament recently that 2nd Kings and Jeremiah end in almost the exact same way...almost word for word. It made me wonder how that could happen. Did Jeremiah copy II Kings? Some of my more modernist friends say II Kings was edited during Jeremiah's lifetime, maybe in part by Jeremiah himself. But, once you start saying committees edited books of the bible, you start moving away from the direct inspiration of the scriptures, yes? Any ideas on how these two books ended up with exactly the same ending?

Dave0678

Here are the passages (from New King James, I think):

II Kings 25:27-30
    Now it came to pass in the 37th year of the captivity of Jehoiachin king of Judah, in the 12th month, on the 27th day of the month, that Evil-Merodach king of Babylon, in the year that he began to reign, released Jehoiachin king of Judah from prison. He spoke kindly to him, and gave him a more prominent seat than those of the kings who were with him in Babylon. So Jehoiachin changed from his prison garments, and he ate bread regularly before the king all the days of his life. And as for his provisions, there was a regular ration given him by the king, a portion for each day, all the days of his life.

Jeremiah 52:31-34
    Now it came to pass in the 37th year of the captivity of Jehoiachin king of Judah, in the 12th month, on the 27th day of the month, that Evil-Merodach king of Babylon, in the first year of his reign, lifted up the head of Jehoiachin king of Judah and brought him out of prison. He spoke kindly to him, and gave him a more prominent seat than those of the kings who were with him in Babylon. So Jehoiachin changed from his prison garments, and he ate bread regularly before the king all the days of his life. And as for his provisions, there was a regular ration given him by the king, a portion for each day, all the days of his life.

Hi Dave. Sometimes inspiration includes shared sources. The better part of the texts of Kings and Chronicles, for example, are duplicate. Many of the Psalms of David are recorded in both, the Psalms and in I.Kings. There are some extended portions of Isaiah that are found nearly word for word in other places in the Bible.

Sometimes God inspired the writers to use portions of existing sources. Those sources may or may not have been inspired themselves. Jude quotes the book of Enoch, Paul quotes heathen poets in Acts 18. Those sources weren't inspired but the quoted portions became inspired scripture when the writers were moved by the Holy Spirit to use them.

Hope that helps
    Dave
    Eph 1:9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will

Comment

Well Jeremiah came from a priestly background. He was of the tribe of Levi. He may have wrote part of second Kings. Or the compiler or writer of second Kings may have quoted him.

Comment

Sometime they were quoting each other.
        Sometimes they may have shared sources,
        Other times God inspired the human writers to duplicate each other to drive home a point.
        "Love is not about you...and it never was"
        "Selfishness is inwardly focused, but Love is Always outwardly focused!"

I am very anti-abortion, anti-murder, and Pro-Love.
        Gotta stop repeating myself...

Stop Marfan - The Silent but deadly killer.
        It's main weapon is lack of truth.
        Please learn the truth about the Marfan syndrome
        by visiting The National Marfan Foundation.
        Feel free to ask me any questions you may have
        about the Marfan syndrome and I will answer them
        the best I can.

Comment

Christ repeated most of the old testament prophets as recorded in the gospels. Doesn't change the message, just confirms it.

Comment

In the Passage the Op is citing.

There wasn't many ways to say what was said and be in the normal Hebrew style that is common in scripture.

The dedication used for writing this originally was extremely intense. Both of these were written by the prophets of the Royal house. (which wasn't neccesarily chosen by the king.)

Often a passage or story is repeated in the Bible for emphasis and repeated amongst several books. The story of Sennacherib surounding Jerusalem and then having so many dead soldiers killed by God was one of them. So is Jesus walking on water...so is this story.

It is highlighted for a reason by being repeated. It means that it is usually a symbol or type of a truth that is prophesy of something to come.

The stories are important. Pay attention to them and look at them...think about them and talk about them with your friends and family.

Comment

Working...
            X