Homosexuality condemned in the Old testament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information Homosexuality condemned in the Old testament

Homosexuality is one of the many heated and controversial debates in our society. The church seems to be divided on its views of homosexuality. Many liberal denominations are very openly embracing homosexuality, while many conservatives are not. There are different extremes of interpretation between the Protestant liberal and conservative denominations regarding the subject of Homosexuality. Some liberal churches ordain homosexuals into the ministry, while on the opposite extreme there are churches that would never allow a homosexual to enter the church. While if I were a pastor I would never ordain or allow a homosexual to work in the ministry, I would allow them to enter the church, and to get a chance to come to repentance so they can be forgiven from their sins and come to a everlasting faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Churches that deny Homosexuals to enter their buildings, are denying sinners the chance at salvation. But regardless there are many churches that hate homosexuals.
    I’m sure you all have read stories of hate acts against homosexuals by some so-called Christian pastors. Fred Phelps is a very well known infamous Baptist pastor who preaches a message of hate geared at homosexuals. He’s no doubt the biggest anti-homosexual advocate in the world. Often unbelievers think that all Christians think like Fred Phelps and this is not true.
    Pastor Fred Phelps
    Its tragic that Fred does not know the gospel according to Jesus, because if he did he would have read the verse that says to love your neighbor as yourself (Matt. 22:39 And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.').
    Because of Fred's example and poor representation of Christians I can understand why many homosexuals are hostile towards us, and I really do not blame them.

My argument against the sinful Godless act called Homosexuality will begin in the Book of Genesis where this Godless sin is first addressed. Sadly some incorrectly believe that Homosexuality is first mentioned in Leviticus and therefore conclude that this sin does not transcend nor extend beyond the moral Law of Moses. There are many laws in the Law of Moses; many of, which are no longer, practiced by most evangelicals today. For example in the Law of Moses there are a half dozen dietary laws. There are some foods that God forbade and others that He did not. Most evangelicals today no longer practice these laws (well except Seventh Day Adventists). I use this as an example, because many of the supporters of Homosexuality claim that since homosexuality is first mentioned in the Pentateuch (Gen-Deut) then this like all the other laws are no longer active. They only use this argument, because they have failed to read the entire scriptures, and have failed to see that Homosexuality was FIRST addressed in the first book of the bible called Genesis. Homosexuality is not only one of the many social laws but goes far beyond the social and into the moral realm with transcends the book of the law and is addressed in the New Testament as well. Dietary laws do not transcend nor extend beyond the book of Moses, and nor are they mentioned in the NT. As a matter of fact Jesus on several occasions declared all foods to be clean. One such passage is Mark 7:19
    NIV
    Mark 7:19 For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean.")

Passages in the Old Testament that condemn Homosexuality

Passage #1
    Gen 19:5-8

NASB
    [Ge 19:5] and they called to Lot and said to him, Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us that we may have relations with them. [6] But Lot went out to them at the doorway, and shut the door behind him, [7] and said, Please, my brothers, do not act wickedly. [8] Now behold, I have two daughters who have not had relations with man; please let me bring them out to you, and do to them whatever you like; only do nothing to these men, inasmuch as they have come under the shelter of my roof.

NIV
    Gen. 19:5 They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."
    Gen. 19:6 Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him
    Gen. 19:7 and said, "No, my friends. Don't do this wicked thing.
    Gen. 19:8 Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them. But don't do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof."

In the bible this is the first time that the sin of homosexuality is addressed. Both the NASB & KJV avoid using the word sex in verse 5, while the NIV as clear as day uses the word.. The Hebrew word being used in the above to translation to the English word for relations is (yada Strongs 3045). This word appears some 800+ times in the NASB OT. The word basically means the same as the word "sex" as mentioned in the NIV.
    In the passage above the two men that the people of Sodom so desperately wanted to have sex with were two angels that were not of this world. They are first mentioned in chapter 18 appearing to Abraham. These men come to Abraham to reveal to him the judgement they will carry out on the city of Sodom because of its great wickedness. No question Homosexuality was one of the many sins that earned its sentence. It was not the only sin, but perhaps the most severe of them.
    In verse 11 the men struck the homosexual offenders outside with blindness. I have no exact idea if the blindness was temporarily or permanent, but my guess would be permanent. The angels were not afraid to use their power and knew that sin must be punished. God today in his grace no longer will blind homosexual offenders. But one day the judgement will come. I do know of another instance in scripture where God struck someone blind, but in this instance the victim was the Apostle Paul whom God needed for the fulfillment of his plan. Homosexuality was apparently a common practice in this ancient and evil city as mentioned in Judges.
    Another similar passage

NIV
    Judg. 19:22 _ While they were enjoying themselves, some of the wicked men of the city surrounded the house. Pounding on the door, they shouted to the old man who owned the house, Bring out the man who came to your house so we can have sex with him.
    Judg. 19:23 _ The owner of the house went outside and said to them, No, my friends, don't be so vile. Since this man is my guest, don't do this disgraceful thing.

When I read about Sodom and its homosexual activities. I create a modern comparison between Sodom and San Francisco. One semester when I was at Simpson University a friend of mine played me a video tape series on homosexuality and the entire focus of the videos was San Francisco which is believed to be the capital of the homosexuality sin in the USA. Growing up in that area I could very much relate to the horrific graphics of homosexuals I saw on my tiny TV screen. To go into a little of the gore the videos portrayed. I saw both men and women naked and nude sun bathing, I saw some having sex out in public. And I saw the sick and twisted homosexual parades. These are the parades were many homosexuals are convicted to dance nude, and sadly some of the local churches in San Francisco are convicted to join them.
    In some parts of San Francisco it seems okay to walk around nude and to have sex in the open. I can imagine Sodom being like this and why The Lord destroyed this city. Certainly San Francisco will one day be destroyed. Her condemnation is coming rather quick if she does not repent. But for know she is under God's grace and his grace will one day run out.
    The second passage that I will focus on comes from the book of Exodus.

Passage #2
    Exodus 22:19

NIV
    [Ex 22:19] Anyone who has sexual relations with an animal must be put to death.

Probably not many homosexual and sexual immoral people wish to have sex with animals today. But I hesitate to say that there is a small faction of sick, twisted, people that enjoy this sinful act. I know this because on occasion when I search the web or check my email I unfortunately have witnessed both men and women having sex with animals. Sadly in the day of sexual immorality that we live in, it's very difficult not to be exposed to such filth. Such a simple web search, or checking of ones email is all too often all it takes to get exposed to these acts.
    In Exodus there are a ton of other social laws that if violated often the punishment was death. The homosexual act of sleeping with an animal was not the only sin that would lead to death, and I by no means am saying that it was the worst of all social law violations. I say this to address those reading this message who enjoy having sex with animals. You see back in the Old Testament anyone caught having sexual relations or intercourse with an animal was to be put to death period. Often those that were put to death were done so by stoning. Certainly a much more painful way to die than lethal injection wouldn't you say? People today do not know how good they have life, and how badly they need God's moral guidance in their lives. If society was still under a Theocratic kingdom with God in charge and the consequence for such sin was death, then the population would be drastically smaller wouldn't you say? But no God has chosen to forgive people of their sins, and has chosen to forgive homosexual offenders. I want every homosexual that reads this to understand that it is not too late for you to turn from your wickedness. It is not too late to turn to the light. But do so while there is yet time, for one day you will be punished for your sins.

Passage #3
    Leviticus 18:22-23

ESV
    [Lev 18:22] You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.
    [23] And you shall not lie with any animal and so make yourself unclean with it, neither shall any woman give herself to an animal to lie with it: it is perversion.

I heave heard of some fundamentalist Christians that use this passage as a weapon against homosexuals. I am a fundamentalist so you probably are thinking that I am just like every and all other fundamentalists. This is anything but the truth and I for one do not condone the practice of hating homosexuals. Certainly such persons that preach hatred towards homosexuals are not speaking the truth in love. Jesus said that 2nd greatest commandment was to love your neighbor as yourself. It does not take rocket science to figure out that those that that speak to homosexuals with such hatred are by no means loving their neighbor as themselves, for they certainly would not condemn themselves to hell as quickly as they do homosexuals! Jesus also said that all men would know that you are my disciples by your Love. So I believe it necessary to show love for the homosexual sinners, but hate for their sin. So many in the church today get confused on what it means to love, and homosexuals cant separate their sin from themselves. So they believe anyone who calls their sin as the bible calls it, is hating them.

Passage #4
    Leviticus 20:13

HCSB
    [Lev 20:13] If a man sleeps with a man as with a woman, they have both committed an abomination. They must be put to death; their blood is on their own hands.

Again more condemnation for those that practice homosexuality. Note when I say condemnation I am not implying this with a mean spirit. The bible is the authority and very clearly condemns this sin. The bible does not condemn sinners alone, but without forgiveness for their sin, then they are condemned already. The Israelites were living under a Theocratic kingdom and God alone was in charge. When God is in charge He makes the rules and only He has decided that Homosexual offenders shall be put to death. If such theocratic laws were active today, our world would be a lot smaller and our graves larger!
    There are many more passages in the Old Testament condemning Homosexuality but for the sake of time and space I will skip right ahead to the New Testament, which I feel more qualified to address.
    Last edited by threebigrocks; Sep 2nd 2008, 02:26 PM. Reason: Removed link

There are also New Testament passages that address homosexuality as well.

Romans 1:24 "Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves."

Romans 1:26-27 "For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural us of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet." ( I wonder if this is referring to AIDS).

Verse 28 goes on to say, "And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;" (This verse clearly says that a homosexual cannot be a Christian. No one with a reprobate mind is a Christian).

Note in the above passage that God gave them up, gave them up, then gave them over - He allowed them to wallow in their own sin. Just like they do today.

Romans 1:29-31 This passage is referring to the result of apostasy and lists that 23 sins that damn the soul.

Verse 31 addresses the issue of homosexuality - ".... without natural affection .... "

Men AND women using their bodies in an unnatural fashion. Prostituting themselves with members of the same sex.

Verse 32 reminds me so much of the attitude of the homosexual community in today's world. They feel that what they are doing is right, and holy, and ordained by God? Hmmmmm ...... don't think so.

"Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them."

I don't think God's Word can be any clearer than the Old Testament passages previously posted and this passage from the New Testament.

There are those who just want to make excuses for their sin - not only homosexuality, but any sin. God accepts no excuses - we reap what we sow. There are always consequences for sin. Aids is a consequence that has not only affected the homosexuals and drug abusers, but has crept over to stain the lives of innocent victims through blood transfusions.

God help us!
    "I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High." Psalm 9:2

Comment

Amen to that brother. Homosexuality is Gods judgment on America and also aids.

Originally posted by graceforme View Post

Romans 1:24 "Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves."

Romans 1:26-27 "For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural us of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet." ( I wonder if this is referring to AIDS).

Verse 28 goes on to say, "And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;" (This verse clearly says that a homosexual cannot be a Christian. No one with a reprobate mind is a Christian).

Note in the above passage that God gave them up, gave them up, then gave them over - He allowed them to wallow in their own sin. Just like they do today.

Romans 1:29-31 This passage is referring to the result of apostasy and lists that 23 sins that damn the soul.

Verse 31 addresses the issue of homosexuality - ".... without natural affection .... "

Men AND women using their bodies in an unnatural fashion. Prostituting themselves with members of the same sex.

Verse 32 reminds me so much of the attitude of the homosexual community in today's world. They feel that what they are doing is right, and holy, and ordained by God? Hmmmmm ...... don't think so.

"Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them."

I don't think God's Word can be any clearer than the Old Testament passages previously posted and this passage from the New Testament.

There are those who just want to make excuses for their sin - not only homosexuality, but any sin. God accepts no excuses - we reap what we sow. There are always consequences for sin. Aids is a consequence that has not only affected the homosexuals and drug abusers, but has crept over to stain the lives of innocent victims through blood transfusions.

God help us!

Comment

Originally posted by poochie View Post
        Are you sure about that? AIDS is worldwide - not just in the United States. AIDS affects a wide range of people, not just homosexuals.

Can you expand your statement a little further?

Comment

The way I see it is disease of any sort that is passed on sexually is judgement for immorality. It can be the immoral one who suffers or their partner, homosexual or heterosexual.

Romans 1:27 and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
          Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
          Not second or third, but first.
          Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
          when He is the source of all hope,
          when His love is received and freely given,
          holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
          will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

Originally posted by threebigrocks View Post
            The way I see it is disease of any sort that is passed on sexually is judgement for immorality. It can be the immoral one who suffers or their partner, homosexual or heterosexual.

I suppose that way of thinking would work if:
            • babies born to parents with AIDS weren't born with AIDS themselves
            • women who are unaware of their husband's adultery didn't contract AIDS (and vice-versa for husbands)
            • women and men who marry believing their spouses are the virgins they said they were before they got together didn't contract AIDS
            • those who receive blood from donors who contracted AIDS through unsafe and unprotected sex didn't contract AIDS from the infected blood
            • those who work in the health-care field and treat those with AIDS didn't contract AIDS from lack or absence of proper universal precautions
            Romans 1:27 and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
            Well, since AIDS is now known to be neither homosexually nor bisexually nor heterosexually exclusive, the above Scripture doesn't really apply does it?
            Last edited by OrdainedLady; Aug 31st 2008, 04:36 PM. Reason: spelling error that could add to confusion

Comment

Originally posted by OrdainedLady View Post
              I suppose that way of thinking would work if:
              • babies born to parents with AIDS weren't born with AIDS themselves
              • women who are unaware of their husband's adultery didn't contract AIDS (and vice-versa for husbands)
              • women and men who marry believing their spouses are the virgins they said they were before they got together didn't contract AIDS
              • those who receive blood from donors who contracted AIDS through unsafe and unprotected sex didn't contract AIDS from the infected blood
              • those who work in the health-care field and treat those with AIDS didn't contract AIDS from lack or absence of proper universal precautions

Well, since AIDS is now known to be neither homosexually nor bisexually nor heterosexually exclusive, the above Scripture doesn't really apply does it?
              I see where your thinking is, and understand. But one can carry the AIDS, or any other STD, and not be affected by it, correct? That sin may hurt the innocent and be further testimony that sin has consequences beyond the original act itself. I hate the fact that babies and those who receive blood transfusions and such wind up with the consequences of someone elses sin. It isn't exclusive and sadly so, you are spot on with that. Doesn't seem right in our eyes that the innocent pay. But the same as babies are born addicted to crack and suffer from someone elses mistake, so it is with sexual immorality. Add to that as you said - healthcare workers.

We could say the same for those who murder and steal and lie as well. There are innocent people who pay for the sin of others in these incidences as well. All of this ought to be a neon warning sign to everyone - just stop! But those who do not see their sin as wrong don't see that sign. Innocent people suffer. Mankind is broken.

The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few.

Comment

Originally posted by graceforme View Post

God help us!

not all the prohibitons of lev are of themselves sins

num 15: 32 While the Israelites were in the desert, a man was found gathering wood on the Sabbath day. 33 Those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron and the whole assembly, 34 and they kept him in custody, because it was not clear what should be done to him. 35 Then the LORD said to Moses, "The man must die. The whole assembly must stone him outside the camp." 36 So the assembly took him outside the camp and stoned him to death, as the LORD commanded Moses.

your interpretation is based on the understanding that all things unnatural are all things not heterosexual. this is a belief . but it is not supported by objective reason.

there are thousands upon thousands of testimonies of homosexuals that from there earliest childhood memories they were not attracted to the oppposite sex, or rather they were attracted to the same sex.

homosexuals DONT HAVE ANY WOMEN.

(NIV) the relations were motivated by shame based lust. where there is lust there is no commitment betwen individuals. the commitment is to satiate the lust. because it is shame based the involvement in these relationships produces self hatred and self loathing.

this has no resemblance to wanting be in a life time commitment to be with someone. everyone agrees that heterosexual marriage is not about sex but instead is about devotion. homosexual marriage is no different.

procreation is not the criteria for marriage, but instead is having a relationship that would provide a loving nurturing environment for raising children. this is evident by the commited gay couples who who adopt abandoned, rejected kids from heterosexual unions.

Comment

I see where your thinking is, and understand. But one can carry the AIDS, or any other STD, and not be affected by it, correct? That sin may hurt the innocent and be further testimony that sin has consequences beyond the original act itself. I hate the fact that babies and those who receive blood transfusions and such wind up with the consequences of someone elses sin. It isn't exclusive and sadly so, you are spot on with that. Doesn't seem right in our eyes that the innocent pay. But the same as babies are born addicted to crack and suffer from someone elses mistake, so it is with sexual immorality. Add to that as you said - healthcare workers.

We could say the same for those who murder and steal and lie as well. There are innocent people who pay for the sin of others in these incidences as well. All of this ought to be a neon warning sign to everyone - just stop! But those who do not see their sin as wrong don't see that sign. Innocent people suffer. Mankind is broken.

The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few.
                  I have some problems with the word "innocent"--unless it is applied to Jesus.

As for us decreeing what is and is not God's judgment--we use our own (fallible) judgment to do so.

What does seem clear is that original sin is God's judgment on Adam and Eve.
                  Phl 4:11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.

Comment

Originally posted by poochie View Post
                    Homosexuality is not a "judgement".....It is a practice that will be judged by God.

Comment

Originally posted by SIG View Post
                      What do you define as original sin?

I'm just a bit confused, as I usually don't see sin as a type of "judgement." If it were, then why would God need to judge it?!

Comment

Originally posted by Welder4Christ View Post
                        What do you define as original sin?

I'm just a bit confused, as I usually don't see sin as a type of "judgement." If it were, then why would God need to judge it?!
                        Perhaps I should have said "inherited sin."

God judged Adam and Eve by placing a curse on them (and on the serpent). It is this curse we have all inherited; so in effect, the judgment also falls on us.
                        Phl 4:11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.

Comment

Perhaps I should have said "inherited sin."

God judged Adam and Eve by placing a curse on them (and on the serpent). It is this curse we have all inherited; so in effect, the judgment also falls on us.
                          That makes sense.

Thank you for clarifying

Comment

Originally posted by feetxxxl View Post
                            not all the prohibitons of lev are of themselves sins

num 15: 32 While the Israelites were in the desert, a man was found gathering wood on the Sabbath day. 33 Those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron and the whole assembly, 34 and they kept him in custody, because it was not clear what should be done to him. 35 Then the LORD said to Moses, "The man must die. The whole assembly must stone him outside the camp." 36 So the assembly took him outside the camp and stoned him to death, as the LORD commanded Moses.

your interpretation is based on the understanding that all things unnatural are all things not heterosexual. this is a belief . but it is not supported by objective reason.

But it IS supported by Scripture. Homosexual relationships are strictly forbidden by God's Word. That cannot be disputed IF a person has even the slightest elementary understanding of the Bible.

there are thousands upon thousands of testimonies of homosexuals that from there earliest childhood memories they were not attracted to the oppposite sex, or rather they were attracted to the same sex.

homosexuals DONT HAVE ANY WOMEN.

Don't understand what this has to do with this discussion. There are many homosexuals who DO have women, just to hide their gay lifestyle.

(NIV) the relations were motivated by shame based lust. where there is lust there is no commitment betwen individuals. the commitment is to satiate the lust. because it is shame based the involvement in these relationships produces self hatred and self loathing.

What is it that you're saying? My husband and I have a high level of lust, and we've been in a committed relationship for over 25 years. Your statement is ridiculous. And the lust between 2 individuals of the same sex SHOULD produce shame and self-loathing. And the desire to turn their life around and walk in God's way, not in the way of sin.

this has no resemblance to wanting be in a life time commitment to be with someone. everyone agrees that heterosexual marriage is not about sex but instead is about devotion. homosexual marriage is no different.

Homosexual marriage IS different, because it is forbidden by God. You absolutely cannot prove otherwise.

procreation is not the criteria for marriage, but instead is having a relationship that would provide a loving nurturing environment for raising children. this is evident by the commited gay couples who who adopt abandoned, rejected kids from heterosexual unions.
                            Just because a homosexual couple adopt a child doesn't make it right. It only shows that the world is willing to reject God's teaching and go their own way, no matter what the result is. And the result is a life of sinful lifestyles that only serve to pave the road to hell for so many souls.

This discussion is over.
                            God Bless.
                            "I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High." Psalm 9:2

Comment

I have some problems with the word "innocent"--unless it is applied to Jesus.

As for us decreeing what is and is not God's judgment--we use our own (fallible) judgment to do so.

None of us are innocent, we are all sinners. Just some of us are saved.

When I was referring to the innocent such as babies - they didn't make the choice to smoke crack or take the chance of getting an STD. They are innocent, but still affected, in that regard.

Comment

Working...
                              X