Christian Standard Bible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian Standard Bible?

Can anyone share thoughts and opinions on this version? I have read a bit.... And compared it to trusted versions.... I feel as if some input from you all would be a comfort.... I haven't seen anything yet that would make me question....

Have you?
    sigpic
    My Church...

My Facebook page....

Originally posted by MaryFreeman View Post
    Can anyone share thoughts and opinions on this version? I have read a bit.... And compared it to trusted versions.... I feel as if some input from you all would be a comfort.... I haven't seen anything yet that would make me question....

Have you?
    I have no knowledge of this version, but have to say that the name makes me smile. I like the idea of a "Christian Standard Version" but somehow think it will not be published on paper... (but be seen face to Face, when we no longer have need for the sun, for the Son shall be our light...)

Blessings,.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
    ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......
    ....Live your life the same way.... ~ *

Please pray for the 'Persecuted Church'.

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Comment

The Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) is a product of the Southern Baptist Convention with some help from non-Baptists. It is a little bit more literal than the NIV, but very much less literal than NASB. The HCSB was produced largely because the SBC is moving away from the NIV toward the NASB, and the SBC was not able to purchase the copyright to the NASB. All of this is explained in detail, along with very much more information, in an article here:

http://www.bible-researcher.com/csb.html

Comment

Thank you guys!
        sigpic
        My Church...

My Facebook page....

Comment

I agree with Jemand. The HCSB and the ESV were developed by conservative American Christians in response to the planned major tinkering with the NIV they'd grown to love. The Southern Baptist Convention decided it couldn't continue to trust some other on-going translation committee be responsible for what it's members relied upon as God's Word, so they designed to formulate the HCSB as a literal but reader-friendly translation.

Comment

I love to use this version as my everyday reading version.
            This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

I never heard of this version. It sounds like it makes a great 'reading' bible but a half page short of a study bible.
              BTW what group was 'tinkering' with the NIV?
              ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Comment

I still think the idea of the 'standard Christian' is interesting to ponder......
                * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
                ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......
                ....Live your life the same way.... ~ *

Please pray for the 'Persecuted Church'.

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Comment

Originally posted by Amos_with_goats View Post
                  I still think the idea of the 'standard Christian' is interesting to ponder......
                  Sounds boring Amos

NO but seriously.... I was taking a look at it and it reminded me of the NLT (which I love as a reading bible!) except more.... Well.... Literally translated.... I didn't see anything missing though....

Gave one to my hubbs is why I asked.... He's new round these parts.....
                  sigpic
                  My Church...

My Facebook page....

Comment

Originally posted by grit View Post
                    I agree with Jemand. The HCSB and the ESV were developed by conservative American Christians in response to the planned major tinkering with the NIV they'd grown to love. The Southern Baptist Convention decided it couldn't continue to trust some other on-going translation committee be responsible for what it's members relied upon as God's Word, so they designed to formulate the HCSB as a literal but reader-friendly translation.
                    Oh no! It's a BAPTIST bible????

Just kidding my brother

I like it so far....
                    sigpic
                    My Church...

My Facebook page....

Comment

Oh no wonder I like it!

It has the same general editor as the NEW KING JAMES VERSION!!!
                      sigpic
                      My Church...

My Facebook page....

Comment

Originally posted by crossnote View Post
                        I never heard of this version. It sounds like it makes a great 'reading' bible but a half page short of a study bible.
                        BTW what group was 'tinkering' with the NIV?
                        More or less the copyright holder. Most translations that are not old enough to be in the public domain (where most anyone can tinker with it and publish it), are under some form of management by those who hold the copyright on that particular translation, just as the KJV was for a number of years. Some also maintain the publishing rights. For the NIV, back in the mid 1990's when the controversy hit, there were several entities involved. The International Bible Society (ICB, which is now Biblica) was the primary translation sponsor for the Committee on Bible Translation (CBT) which exercised sole oversight for the NIV translation, for which Zondervan Publishers held the publishing rights. Like many other translations, the NIV was tweaked every few years to keep it current with modern English changes. The NLT recently underwent a similar process, where older forms of the version were phased out and a newer one introduced, replacing the former edition. Most users rarely even notice this, although you can usually look in the front of a Bible and see the dates where it has been re-edited. The NASB was updated in 1995, but its copyright holder, the Lockman Foundation, decided to make it well-known and easily identifiable to folk, calling it the NASB-95, or NASB-updated version.

To make a long story short, the ICB had become somewhat liberal, with intentions to introduce gender-neutral language into the NIV. They experimented with it as the NIVI in Britain, which seemed to accept it, but World Magazine broke the story in 1995 of their designs through the CBT on a major revision of the NIV in the States (World has several articles on the matter, of what they termed the "Stealth Bible" (cf. the Kept the Faith chronicle). It caused quite an uproar for years to come, with the American publisher Zondervan finally promising not to offer a revised NIV or publish such a revision, which they eventually did anyway as the TNIV (Today's New International Version), but which is now being discontinued as of 2010, with another major revision of the NIV scheduled for 2011, due to replace both the NIV and TNIV.

The HCSB has also recently been updated, with published updates introduced in February 2010 and continuing through the HCSB Study Bible in October. They especially wanted to be more consistent in translation of the transliterated tetragrammaton (YHWH, or God's name) as "Yahweh".

Comment

Originally posted by grit View Post
                          More or less the copyright holder. Most translations that are not old enough to be in the public domain (where most anyone can tinker with it and publish it), are under some form of management by those who hold the copyright on that particular translation, just as the KJV was for a number of years. Some also maintain the publishing rights. For the NIV, back in the mid 1990's when the controversy hit, there were several entities involved. The International Bible Society (ICB, which is now Biblica) was the primary translation sponsor for the Committee on Bible Translation (CBT) which exercised sole oversight for the NIV translation, for which Zondervan Publishers held the publishing rights. Like many other translations, the NIV was tweaked every few years to keep it current with modern English changes. The NLT recently underwent a similar process, where older forms of the version were phased out and a newer one introduced, replacing the former edition. Most users rarely even notice this, although you can usually look in the front of a Bible and see the dates where it has been re-edited. The NASB was updated in 1995, but its copyright holder, the Lockman Foundation, decided to make it well-known and easily identifiable to folk, calling it the NASB-95, or NASB-updated version.

To make a long story short, the ICB had become somewhat liberal, with intentions to introduce gender-neutral language into the NIV. They experimented with it as the NIVI in Britain, which seemed to accept it, but World Magazine broke the story in 1995 of their designs through the CBT on a major revision of the NIV in the States (World has several articles on the matter, of what they termed the "Stealth Bible" (cf. the Kept the Faith chronicle). It caused quite an uproar for years to come, with the American publisher Zondervan finally promising not to offer a revised NIV or publish such a revision, which they eventually did anyway as the TNIV (Today's New International Version), but which is now being discontinued as of 2010, with another major revision of the NIV scheduled for 2011, due to replace both the NIV and TNIV.

The HCSB has also recently been updated, with published updates introduced in February 2010 and continuing through the HCSB Study Bible in October. They especially wanted to be more consistent in translation of the transliterated tetragrammaton (YHWH, or God's name) as "Yahweh".
                          Just a question.... Is gender neutral harmful?
                          sigpic
                          My Church...

My Facebook page....

Comment

Have you?
                            My church elders who do every Sunday sermons prefers NIV bibles but I personally prefer NLT bibles because it's easy to understand the way English language is being translated. Then, my BK teacher said that try to avoid other kind of newer bibles which isn't correct translation from Hebrew for Old Testaments whereas from Greek for New Testaments.
                            Shinjitsu wa itsumo hitotsu
                            2 Timothy 3:16 Jehovah Jireh Matthew 6:33

Comment

Just a question.... Is gender neutral harmful?
                              It is a dirert contradiction of the original manuscripts. Several time we are admonisghed to never add to or to delete from the Scriptures as revealed by God and gender neitral does both.

Comment

Working...
                              X