No announcement yet.

Why Are Adulterers No Longer Executed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Are Adulterers No Longer Executed?

I'm still trying to understand the relationship between the OT and NT

Were all the laws from the OT wiped out?

Is God not consistent with his laws? I find it strange that God would tell us that adulterers should be put to death, yet in the NT, there is no mention of putting people to death for these acts
    God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. - Psalm 46:1-3

Gal 3:13-14
    13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us — for it is written, "CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO HANGS ON A TREE" — 14 in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we would receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
    NASU

The curse of the law has been removed. But even in the OT, the penalties were not always carried out. David was a murderer and an adulterer but God did not have him killed. God is compassionate.

Matt 9:10-13

10 Then it happened that as Jesus was reclining at the table in the house, behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and were dining with Jesus and His disciples. 11 When the Pharisees saw this, they said to His disciples, "Why is your Teacher eating with the tax collectors and sinners?" 12 But when Jesus heard this, He said, "It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick. 13 "But go and learn what this means: 'I DESIRE COMPASSION, AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Also, mercy was a major part of the law.

Matt 23:23-24

23 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others.
    NASU
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnswer99 View Post

Is God not consistent with his laws? I find it strange that God would tell us that adulterers should be put to death, yet in the NT, there is no mention of putting people to death for these acts
      There is no change in intent. The change is in appliation. The Law was 'imposed on' rather then saught and accepted.

When I seek to confess and turn from my sin it is forgiven. THis is not a 'trite' process.... I am, in a very real way, "putting to death" that thing within me. In the days before it was about what we could get away with... now it is what we are free from.

Kill the old man. Kill him... give him no chance, leave him no escape..... there is nothing here for him but death anyway.

No change.
      * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
      ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......
      ....Live your life the same way.... ~ *

Please pray for the 'Persecuted Church'.

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Comment

There is indeed a mention, in John 8:2-11. But that indicates that Jesus doesn't think we should do that:

At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group and said to Jesus, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?" They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" "No one, sir," she said. "Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."

Comment

Mostly because the Messiah has come...the Seed of the Woman. Abraham's Shield, the Seed of David.

This race of people were to be especially holy/pure for they were a nation of priests to God.
          Part of this purity meant that they had specific guidelines to follow in order to show they they had faith in God's promises of the Messiah to come.

Many of the cultures surrounding Israel and even Israel itself at times had a rather unstable record. Many of the cultures surrounding Israel disappeared. They don't exist today....but Judaism and Jews still exist don't they? Mostly because of their holy nature. None of the other surrounding cultures can claim this. In the midst of a region of the world where Mustim religion is foremost there exists this one island of Judaism.

kinda unique eh?

God said it and it doesn't matter whether you believe it or not...it simply is going to be that way.

Comment

Because mankind would have died out by now...

Jesus made it a matter of the heart, not just the pelvis. I do not know if there is a man alive that has not lusted at one time or another.
            For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Comment

The Old Testament Law makes it clear that God's judgement on sin is that "the soul that sins dies." Before Christ came people lived under the Law, and we saw acted out the spiritual truth, that those who sin die.

What you need to understand is that we are now living in a time when we can be saved from eternal destruction... as long as you are alive you can be saved by running to Jesus, Who already died for your sins. But if you die in your sin, then you will suffer eternal destruction in hell. The soul that sins will die... eternally and without end. If you die without Christ there will be nobody to take the burden of your sin but you yourself, and then you'll know what death truly is... eternal damnation.

So, the law remains the same. The difference after Christ is that you have an escape route... but only while you live.

You need to get right now, because the consequences of sin are so serious. That truth is just as obvious in the Old as in the New Testament, and there's only one way to be spared the death penalty.
              Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

The short answer is yes, because they were a temporary thing, intended, as Paul says, as a teacher. "Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law." (Galatians 3:23-25) The KJV here has "the law was our schoolmaster."

The ten commandments remain, as a set of principles, which Jesus taught us to view in a very strict way: "You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment." (Matt 5:21-22) and "You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.' But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." (Matt 5:27-28)

If we stoned all the men who looked lustfully at other women, there would not be a lot of men left.

Comment

Thanks for the explanations and responses

I'm confused, though, about something else: 1 or 2 people commented in another thread, that if we were a truly Christian nation, we would be putting homosexuals to death, but since we are a constitutional Republic we don't. Is this a false statement?

Some of you seem to be suggesting that the death penalty (carried out by humans) is no longer valid...at least for adultery...but are there crimes it is valid for?
                  God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. - Psalm 46:1-3

Comment

1 or 2 people commented in another thread, that if we were a truly Christian nation, we would be putting homosexuals to death
                    That is completely incorrect. Nowhere does the New Testament suggest that we should do that.

Some of you seem to be suggesting that the death penalty (carried out by humans) is no longer valid...at least for adultery...but are there crimes it is valid for?
                    The New Testament supports the rights of governments to apply the death penalty. Romans 13:1-7 says:

Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

In a monarchy, the question "what crimes is the death penalty appropriate for?" is up to the king. In a democracy, it's up to the citizens. If the citizens are Christians, they naturally use Christian principles in guiding their vote. Different Christians will have different points of view on this.

Comment

Why Are Adulterers No Longer Executed?

Because adulterers don't execute adulterers.
                      If Satan can keep us busy swinging our swords at one another, there is no hope of a united attack on the kingdom of darkness. KJV, NIV, ESV or ABCDEFG; there is no time to bicker over such things. We'll devour each other if allowed to continue. We should grab the marching orders written in the way we best understand and get to work.

Andrew_no_one

Comment

Under the Law.. they were suppose to be stoned...

look at the woman who was caught in the act of adultery... the Scribes and Pharisees brought her to Jesus... seeking an answer from Him and to trap Him in His Words... Under the Law she was suppose to be stoned....

Christ HImself showed Mercy and Compassion on her..

and He turned the situation back on the Pharisees.. asking them to look at themselves and the first one who was without sin.. let him cast the first stone... what did they do?

everyone of them was convicted in their 'conscience'.. and put their rocks down and walked off..

Jesus asked the Adulteress as she was sitting on the ground waiting to be stoned..

Woman, where are those thine accusers? are they not here?

she said 'no'..

Jesus Said... 'Niether do I condemn thee, go and sin no more'...

Jesus had compassion and mercy on the woman... allowing her not to die by being stoned..

He was her Best Advocate... and she went away unharmed.

Why would someobody Today.. want to 'kill' or 'execute' adulterers... when looking at what Jesus did in the NT?

Its in the Hands of God to 'judge' those.. He is the Only One Worthy...

If one is Following Christ.. they will not be executing 'adulterers'... but telling them about What Christ did for one in the NT.. telling them about the Good News Of Jesus Christ.. His Mercy and Grace.. and What He has done for them.. at Calvary..

Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
                        ------------------------------------------------
                        Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
                        ------------------------------------------------
                        The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
                        Jeremiah 31:3

Comment

There's also an historical context. Remember, Israel in the NT was ruled by the Romans. They had final say on whether anyone was executed. Those priests probably would have been in a heap of trouble if they defied Roman authority and executed someone, even if it was just an adulterous woman.

Speak the truth in love. The truth without love is brutality.

An apology is the best way to have the last word!

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Missionary View Post
                            Because mankind would have died out by now...

Exactly...... how many people would be alive today???

I suppose their penalty awaits them if they do not reach a point of coming to repentance ....
                            The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
                            God plants in our hearts
                            to remind us
                            there are better things ahead.
                            -Holley Gerth

Comment

Originally posted by nebula_omega View Post
                              There's also an historical context. Remember, Israel in the NT was ruled by the Romans. They had final say on whether anyone was executed. Those priests probably would have been in a heap of trouble if they defied Roman authority and executed someone, even if it was just an adulterous woman.
                              Perhaps, but that was not the reply that Jesus gave.

Comment

Working...
                              X