Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I so wish that Luke 6:38 meant what we were taught, but alas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I so wish that Luke 6:38 meant what we were taught, but alas...

Luke 6:38 is almost always read just before the offering plate is sent around. Now that I am beginning to get a glimpse what it is about, I wish that it really meant that if you give to the church it will be given unto you.

The business of God and Son Inc is all about souls. That is what they care about most and we as ambassadors of heaven, have to share in that concern. If we back up to verse 27, we see that Jesus' teaching has to do with how we treat sinners. A key verse is verse 36: Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

Let's get practical about this. Say you offend your neighbor somehow and now he wants to sue you for your car. From your human perspective you will fight him with all the resources at your disposal, but from God's perspective, you've got it made. You're going to heaven, it's the neighbor's soul that He is concerned about. So what do you do in the light of the teaching of Luke 8?

God wants you to extend His mercy to that other person. So what do you do? You tell him, “Sir, it is not necessary to sue me for that car. I'll give it to you. Give me a week and you can have it. I need to have it washed and vacuumed. The right hand side's CV joint is a bit noisy. I'll have that replaced. The tyres are also a bit worn, so I'll replace them as well.” And when you deliver the car to him, see to it that it is fueled to the brim.

Can you imagine his reaction?? He has never seen anything like that and must be wondering what is going on. If he asks, why, you can tell him, “My Father has many automobiles. He'll see to it that I will get another better one soon.” By this time this guy is gawking, “But.., but..., how can it be?” Do you think that he will be lying awake at night thinking about you? Yessir!! And sooner or later he will call you to find out what makes you tick and you will have an open door to share what you have and he needs.

How far we as Christians fall short of God's standard. Don't you also wish that this verse meant what we have been taught all these years?

Would it not be nobler to give and expect nothing in return?

Perhaps in the heart of one who gives unto the Lord with no expectation except that He sees what we give or what we keep it is He Who will reward us openly with blessing that others cannot know. God loves a cheerful giver.

For the cause of Christ
    Roger

Comment

Originally posted by notuptome View Post
      Would it not be nobler to give and expect nothing in return?

Perhaps in the heart of one who gives unto the Lord with no expectation except that He sees what we give or what we keep it is He Who will reward us openly with blessing that others cannot know. God loves a cheerful giver.

For the cause of Christ
      Roger
      No. Expecting nothing in return indicates a lack of faith. Maybe God will, maybe He won't. Expecting pleases God, because it shows that we have faith in what He promised. This has nothing to do with nobility. It is not to show the world how great I am, but how great my Father is.

Comment

Working...
      X