Enoch walked with God?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enoch walked with God?

Could someone please explain Genesis 5:24? What is the significance? Why mention it if it isn't followed with details of why and how? I mean, there is this guy who 'walked with God' and God took him? Shouldn't it get more than 1 verse? It just seems out of place, kind of like an afterthought. What am I missing?
    As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

Well you are not the only one to have noticed this and thought what is up? Jews in the Second Temple period did the same thing and infact wrote a book(s) about what happened to Enoch and why God took him and what he did once God took him. The book(s) when combined end up being 104 chapters long, yeah a lot of stuff written there. It talks about Genesis 6:14 also, asking what are the Nephilem and what happened the the "sons of God" who mated with the "daughters of men." They thought the 'sons of God' were angels and the 'daughters of men' were human women. And after they slept together the women gave birth to giants who wreaked havoc on the human race. In it also there is a section of chapters called the "Book of Dreams" in which Enoch "prophesies" about the future using animals instead of people. So there are bulls for Adam and Eve and Cain and Able, and sheep for Moses and the Israelites, and the Messiah is the 'Lord of the Sheep.' It is a fun book.

Other than that there is nothing on Enoch in the Bible except in some geneologies for 1 Chronicles and Luke. However the author of the Letter to the Hebrews says this "By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death; he could not be found, because God had taken him away. For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God. And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." (Hebrews 11:5-6)

And Jude says this "Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men: "See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones to judge everyone, and to convict all the ungodly of all the ungodly acts they have done in the ungodly way, and of all the harsh words ungodly sinners have spoken against him." These men are grumblers and faultfinders; they follow their own evil desires; they boast about themselves and flatter others for their own advantage." (Jude 14-16) Notice he is quoting from the Book of 1 Enoch!

Really that is all that we have on Enoch.

Comment

Wow, where are they???????????????

It is really surprising that this topic surfaced when it did!!! For the last few days, because of something I read here about where do we go after we die, I wondered where are Enoch and Elijah??? Now, I'm still wondering. LOL

Could someone please shed some more light on this~~~~~
      John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that HE gave HIS only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in HIM should not perish, but have eternal life.

My testimony: http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=137007

Comment

Originally posted by livingwaters View Post
        It is really surprising that this topic surfaced when it did!!! For the last few days, because of something I read here about where do we go after we die, I wondered where are Enoch and Elijah??? Now, I'm still wondering. LOL

Well the ancient Israelites believed that when we died we went to She'ol the place of the dead were everyone went when they died righteous or unrighteous. Enoch and Elijah were the exception to that rule seeing as how they did not die. So they were taken up to heaven.

Because my beliefs do not fit in with what this board believes to be "mainstream protestantism" I will refrain from stating my understand/beliefs on what happens after people die. And there people go when they die.

Comment

Thanks, Uriel. I'm sure the Lord will give me revelation on this matter, if and when HE feels I need it. I think some things will only be answered when we meet the Lord face-to-face.

I appreciate your post!!!
          John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that HE gave HIS only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in HIM should not perish, but have eternal life.

Comment

!!! Thanks

Comment

Enoch was not perfect, no one is or ever has been perfect:

Rom 3:23
              (23) For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

The Book of Enoch is not in the bible and is not Gods Word. As far as Nephilem, sons of God and daughters of men are concerned, examine the verse:

Gen 6:4
              4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
              KJV

There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that , when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men..... The Nephilem are not the Sons of God talked about in this verse, nor are they angels. Their children were not giants, the were:

the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Here is what the hebrew word used for Giants, in the first part of this verse, means (from strongs)

H5303
              נפל נפיל
              nephîyl nephil
              nef-eel', nef-eel'
              From H5307; properly, a feller, that is, a bully or tyrant: - giant.

The sons of God, were Gods people who took unbelieving women as their wives. The result were people who fell away from God.

Gods reasons for taking Enoch and Elijah are known only to God.

Comment

The sons of God, were Gods people who took unbelieving women as their wives. The result were people who fell away from God.
                Amen!

Enoch walked with God. Wow! Is that an incredible testimony, or what! God grant that I walk with God NOW, and for eternity! Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by livingwaters View Post

I asked my pastor about this a couple of weeks ago. Where are their physical bodies? Since flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God....where are they?

He said the bible doesn't give us an answer, and that God is God and we have to believe that He has acted in accordance with His Word on this matter.

Also another thought is that since Heb. 9:27 says it is appointed unto man once to die, then the judgment, perhaps they will be the two witnesses during the tribulation who will die and be resurrected. Who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Enoch365
                    Enoch, the Ethiopian, Patriarch and Prophet, Greater than Abraham, Holier than Moses, is the first perfect human being in the Bible.
                    The Bible never said that Enoch was "perfect." It simply says he "walked with God." Job was declared to be righteous, Abraham was declared to be righteous, etc. Given the unique situation, Enoch probably was more righteous than they, but the text, not once, declares that he was "perfect."

The Bible states that only two men ascended body, mind and soul into heaven. Enoch was the first.
                    Just a quick note:

Neither the book of Genesis nor the epistle to the Hebrews actually says Enoch was taken to heaven. It simply says that God "took" him and that he did not "experience" death. This in and of itself does not necessitate that Enoch was taken to heaven.

Christ stated that no man had ascended to heaven except for He who descended from it (i.e., Jesus Himself). Jesus wasn't stupid and somehow forgot about Enoch and Elijah, and neither did He say "Except for Enoch and Elijah."

2. 1Enoch is the oldest. 2 and 3 Enoch are later works.
                    2 and 3 Enoch were written in the AD era. They're not inspired. 1 Enoch is likely to have been written in the late BC era or the first century AD. That doesn't make it uninspired necessarily, but it casts a good amount of doubt upon its origins.

5. Enoch was the son of Cain and Ramona, and he led the Nodites.
                    Wrong Enoch. The Enoch, "seventh descendant of Adam," was the son of Jared.

A different Enoch was the son of Cain and his Biblically unnamed wife. You're mixing together two entirely different people.

Enoch son of Cain was of the third generation of mankind.
                    Enoch son of Jared was of the eighth generation of mankind.

6. Enoch was the first mortal fused with his thought adjuster.
                    You're delving into theology from The Urantia Book, which is highly contradictory to Biblical Christian belief.

7. The Book of Enoch was an inspiration to Jesus. The title "Son of Man" was taken from the Book of Enoch. Of all scripture the Book of Enoch "was nearest to the truth" regarding Jesus’ identity and mission as assessed by Jesus himself.
                    No, the "son of man" title was taken from the book of Daniel, chapter 7.
                    To This Day

Comment

Originally posted by Sold Out View Post
                      I asked my pastor about this a couple of weeks ago. Where are their physical bodies? Since flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God....where are they?

He said the bible doesn't give us an answer, and that God is God and we have to believe that He has acted in accordance with His Word on this matter.

Also another thought is that since Heb. 9:27 says it is appointed unto man once to die, then the judgment, perhaps they will be the two witnesses during the tribulation who will die and be resurrected. Who knows?

Yes you are right. Both Henok(Enoch) and Elijah will come back on earth.
                      Enoch and Elijah Must Come First To Restore All Things...
                      Both Enoch and Elijah denounce the Antichrist and to suffer Martyrdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Enoch365 View Post
                        Yes you are right. Both Henok(Enoch) and Elijah will come back on earth.
                        Enoch and Elijah Must Come First To Restore All Things...
                        Both Enoch and Elijah denounce the Antichrist and to suffer Martyrdom.

Mat 17:10-13
                        (10) And his disciples asked him, saying, Why then say the scribes that Elijah must first come
                        (11) And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elijah truly shall first come, and restore all things.
                        (12) But I say unto you, That Elijah is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them.
                        (13) Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist.

Mat 11:11-15
                        (11) Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.
                        (12) And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.
                        (13) For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.
                        (14) And if ye will receive it, this is Elijah, which was for to come.
                        (15) He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Comment

From a study I recently did:
                          Enoch is one of only two men that scripture says ‘he walked with God’.
                          One of two men who lived on earth and went to heaven without dying.
                          He is the only one, except for Christ, of whom it is written ‘He pleased God’.
                          Although little it told us about Enoch, if we carefully examine what is given us, we can gain a great deal of understanding.
                          He walked with God
                          What does it take to walk with God?
                          Walking with God implies reconciliation.
                          Two walking together supposes agreement, sympathy, harmony.
                          In looking at the story, it is implied that Enoch had been at enmity with God, and that there had been reconciliation, for it says Enoch walked with God AFTER he begat Methuselah.
                          We all are born in sin, and all require reconciliation to God.
                          When one ‘walks with God’, it implies that he has been reconciled to God.
                          God has not conformed to him, but he has conformed to God.
                          To walk with God implies a correspondency of nature.
                          Light has no communion with darkness
                          A sinner cannot walk with God, because he has nothing in common, and his mind is at enmity against God.
                          Walking with God supposes the putting away of sin and the impartation of the Divine nature to the one walking with Him.
                          To walk with God implies moral fitness
                          God does not walk out of the way of holiness.
                          The thrice holy God does not keep company with the unclean.
                          Walking with God means ceasing taking our own way, and we follow the Divine way.
                          To walk with God implies a surrendered will
                          God does not force himself on anyone – how can two walk together except they be agreed?
                          We must be ready and willing to ‘take my yoke upon you.’
                          To walk with God implies spiritual communion
                          The word walk suggests steady progress.
                          Enoch walked with God for 300 years! That’s steady, forward progress. Step by step in a forward direction.
                          To walk with God implies faith
                          Without faith it is impossible to please Him. Hebrews 5 confirms the faith of Enoch.
                          What is the result of Enoch’s walk with God?
                          Growth in grace
                          Walking implies progress, in a forward direction
                          Enoch’s life must have been progressive.
                          In his 300th year walking with God, he could not have remained morally and spiritually where he was at the beginning.
                          He would be more conscious of his own helplessness and utter dependency upon God.
                          He would have a larger capacity to enjoy God
                          There would be a going from strength to strength, from glory to glory.T
                          here would be growth in the knowledge of the Lord
                          It is one thing to talk about God, to reason and speculate about Him
                          To hear and read about Him
                          It is quite another to know Him
                          This is the practical and experimental side of the Christian life
                          If we would know God we must walk with Him
                          We must come into living contact with Him
                          Have personal dealings with Him
                          Commune with Him
                          After 300 years of that, Enoch would have had a deeper appreciation of God’s Excellency
                          There would be a deeply settled joy and peace
                          How could one be miserable with God as a companion?
                          Walking with God insures protection
                          He that dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the almighty.
                          Nothing can harm the man who has the Lord God at his right hand.
                          He would be a witness for God
                          This order cannot be reversed. Before we can witness for God, we must walk with God.
                          You shall worship the Lord your God
                          And Enoch walked with God: and he [was] not; for God took him.
                          V) Knh% (Knh% Hh-NK) - Dedicate: To begin using something new. [freq. 5] (vf: Paal) |kjv: dedicate, train| {str: 2596}
                          Took H3947 לקח lâqach law-kakh‘ A primitive root; to take (in the widest variety of applications): - accept, bring, buy, carry away, drawn, fetch, get, infold, X many, mingle, place, receive (-ing), reserve, seize, send for, take (away, -ing, up), use, win.
                          V) Hql% (Hql% L-QHh) - Take: [A generic verb with a wide application meaning to take] [freq. 965] (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hitpael, Hophal, Pual) |kjv: take, receive, fetch, bring, get, carry, marry, buy| {str: 3947} G726 ἁρπάζω harpazō har-pad'-zo
                          From a derivative of G138; to seize (in various applications): - catch (away, up), pluck, pull, take (by force).
                          It is the same word 'took’ in Hebrew as ‘caught up’ in the Greek, 1 Thess. 4:17
                          Enoch was taken prior to the coming judgment on the earth. He prophesied that the judgment would come at the end of his son’s life.
                          Enoch did not see death. Hebrews 11:5
                          So now, put these all together, you have Enoch being ‘pulled, from time, or at the right time, or at the end time, sunset, outside the ‘wall’. In other words, he was yanked out of this world to the ‘other side’, according to God’s timing.
                          It is interesting that Enoch lived 365 years. I have heard many say ‘a year for a day’, referring to our 365 day calendar of course. But, up to the time of the Gregorian calendar, there was not 365 days in a year. In the Jewish calendar, there are 360 days, and then 7 times in 19 years, they add an extra 30 days.
                          So, IF this has anything to do with a year, it is looking forward 4000 years to the last days, in which the 365 day calendar is in use. IF that is the case, then we can consider Enoch’s life to be prophetic of the ‘fullness of time’, pointing to the time when all of God’s children will be caught up in the same manner as Enoch.
                          Now, one last little thing before we move on to Noah.
                          Some will argue that Enoch could not have risen into heaven, because it says in
                          John 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, [even] the Son of man which is in heaven.…and therefore, Enoch must have died.
                          But that of course ignores Hebrews 11:5 which says he did not die.
                          So then, they will argue that if he did not die, then he must have gone somewhere beside heaven.
                          We are not actually told exactly where Enoch did go. Elijah, on the other hand, was taken up into heaven in a chariot.
                          2 Kings 2:11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, [there appeared] a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.
                          So then they argue that it just means Elijah was lifted up into the sky, and they remind you of the three heavens.
                          So let me submit the possibility that we are simply misunderstanding something.
                          In John, we read that no man has ascended into heaven except Jesus Christ.
                          Is there a possibility that Jesus alone has ascended, ie under his own power (He is God), and that Enoch and Elijah were both ‘taken up’, not under their own power?

Comment

Wrong Enoch. The Enoch, "seventh descendant of Adam," was the son of Jared.

A different Enoch was the son of Cain and his Biblically unnamed wife. You're mixing together two entirely different people.

Enoch son of Cain was of the third generation of mankind.
                            Enoch son of Jared was of the eighth generation of mankind.

That's what I thought, thanks for pointing that out markedward.

I guess my next question would be, and I am no scholar so this might be a dumb question, but I wonder why Enoch didn't appear with Moses and Elijah in Matthew 17:3...any thoughts?

It just seems so odd that there was a man who received that much favor from God and is barely mentioned in scripture...ya know? The mystery of it all is just fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by Kahtar View Post
                              Is there a possibility that Jesus alone has ascended, ie under his own power (He is God), and that Enoch and Elijah were both ‘taken up’, not under their own power?
                              I don;t think so, Romans 10:9 says that "God raised Him"...and if Enoch had 'companionship' with God etc., did he need Jesus to die on the cross in order to be saved?

Comment

Working...
                              X