When you fast....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion When you fast....

Luk 5:35 But the time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them; in those days they will fast."
    Mat 6:16 "When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.
    Mat 6:17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face
    Mat 6:18 so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Jesus says his disciples will fast, so why do His disciples not fast? or are they? do you?

If you fast, do you have a regular pattern of fasting?
    Do you think giving up non-food items counts as "fasting"?
    My Blog
    Pentecostal Distinctives
    Easter minus the Bunny, Eggs, and Chocolate
    Pentecost: the Forgotten Holy Day
    Pentecostal Emotionalism or Worship?
    Baptism in the Holy Spirit
    Christians and Vegetarianism/Veganism

Originally posted by Frecs View Post
    Luk 5:35 But the time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them; in those days they will fast."
    Mat 6:16 "When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.
    Mat 6:17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face
    Mat 6:18 so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Jesus says his disciples will fast, so why do His disciples not fast? or are they? do you?

I fast as the Spirit leads me to fast.....

fasting will help you keep the 'flesh' in check..

you will not be disappointed if you fast...

but do it according to the Word...

dont stand on the street corners, announcing it to all.. having a sad face... but get up in the morning, wash your face, go about your daily routine... and fast.. and He that sees you in 'secret'.. shall reward you 'openly'....

I try to stay on a 'liquid diet' when fasting... and this done with No Condemnation or 'other religious tie downs'..... as to 'how to fast'... tied onto the fasting... but done as the Holy Ghost leads me to fast..
    Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
    ------------------------------------------------
    The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
    Jeremiah 31:3

Comment

I do.

I pick a period of time over which I know my body will complain.

While I don't see this practice as wrong, I do not consider it "fasting" for a few reasons.
      1) Typically it is the abstention from luxury. My body won't rebel against absence from TV, because ultimately my body doesn't need TV. Food however, my body needs, and it will let me know in a hurry.
      2) Only fasting from food can make us sympathetic to the hungry.

Comment

I fast as the Holy Spirit leads me to for any specific reason and while fasting, what to be lifting up to Him in prayer.

I've been led to mainly not eating for a specific or even unspecific period of time. One fast as led was from all media that was distracting me from listening to Him, so for a three week period no internet, no TV, no books... only prayer and the Bible for my evenings and most of the day on the weekends, for all those three weeks. That fasting period and it's purpose amazed me!! God is so good!
        Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

I'm very sporadic. But i think its a great topic and something that Christians should think more often about. This is probably one of the higher neglected things in the Christian walk.

Biblically? No.

By definition fasting implies food. People have changed it around to say they are on a specific "fast" from something worldly but that doesnt fit
          Originally posted by Job 34:19
          God is not partial to princes and does not favor the rich over the poor, for they are all the work of His hands.

Comment

#1: I fast; this includes anything I see as becoming higher than God: Food and computer are my main ones

#2: When I fast, I drink nothing but water. However if I am fasting for an extended period (ie 2 days+) I will drink juice just to keep my body going and still be able to think, but I do not consume anything solid.

#3: Yes, I believe fasting anything is showing God that he is more important than whatever you are abstaining from. By giving up food, you are showing that God is more important than the core component of life; essentially replacing God as this core of living. Along these lines, by giving up being on the computer (as an example), you are showing God that he is important enough that you can give up something important to you, in order to exalt Him in your life.

Comment

13 Gird yourselves and lament, you priests;
              Wail, you who minister before the altar;
              Come, lie all night in sackcloth,
              You who minister to my God;
              For the grain offering and the drink offering
              Are withheld from the house of your God.
              14 Consecrate a fast,
              Call a sacred assembly;
              Gather the elders
              And all the inhabitants of the land
              Into the house of the LORD your God,
              And cry out to the LORD.
              15 Alas for the day!
              For the day of the LORD is at hand;
              It shall come as destruction from the Almighty.
              16 Is not the food cut off before our eyes,
              Joy and gladness from the house of our God?
              17 The seed shrivels under the clods,
              Storehouses are in shambles;
              Barns are broken down,
              For the grain has withered.
              18 How the animals groan!
              The herds of cattle are restless,
              Because they have no pasture;
              Even the flocks of sheep suffer punishment.[b]
              19 O LORD, to You I cry out;
              For fire has devoured the open pastures,
              And a flame has burned all the trees of the field.
              20 The beasts of the field also cry out to You,
              For the water brooks are dried up,
              And fire has devoured the open pastures.
              Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

You know. The last time I fasted. It did not go well. I got really cranky and snapped at the youth pastor at a meeting. Luckily he knew that I meant nothing by it. I apologized more times than I can remember until he finally told me that it was ok and to not let it get to me. Honestly being that it was my first fast in many years, I should not have attempted a 21 day fast without proper preparation. So next time it's going to be one day at a time.
                This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

Originally posted by -SEEKING- View Post
                  You know. The last time I fasted. It did not go well. I got really cranky and snapped at the youth pastor at a meeting. Luckily he knew that I meant nothing by it. I apologized more times than I can remember until he finally told me that it was ok and to not let it get to me. Honestly being that it was my first fast in many years, I should not have attempted a 21 day fast without proper preparation. So next time it's going to be one day at a time.
                  Bless your heart! If you are new to fasting, you should start out slow. An extended fast definitely requires some preparation.

A few suggestions:
                  1. Start the fast on a Friday. This is because usually the 2nd and 3rd days are the hardest so you won't be cranky at work and your church folk should forgive you!
                  2. An extended water fast should be preceeded by a few days of juice fasting. This will ease your body into the fast. This is especially helpful if you have a caffeine or sugar habit.
                  3. It's not wise to chew gum or suck on hard candy as both will keep your stomach expecting food and the hunger pangs will not go away.
                  My Blog
                  Pentecostal Distinctives

Comment

As for me, my fasting is sporadic but I've wanted to make it more regular. Every January, my Pastor calls the church to a corporate fast which varies in length as the Spirit prompts him. There are a number of folks in my church who fast fairly often. One of the reasons I know this is that we sell individual portable communion cups in the church bookstore and folks like to use these during their fasts. When someone comes in and buys 5, 7, 14, or 21 of them, I am pretty sure I know why without anyone having to say anything. I have read that founders of the Methodists made a habit of fasting twice a week (Wed & Fri). I don't think it's good to get legalistic about stuff including fasting but I do have this nudging in my spirit to be more disciplined about this spiritual discipline.

When I fast, I either do water only, juice (homemade), or vegetables/fruits only depending on length and leading. I don't really think that fasting non-food items is true fasting but for some that is the best they can do for various reasons and I know that God looks on the heart so that's cool. As long as there's a little discomfort involved, we have probably picked a good thing to fast.
                    My Blog
                    Pentecostal Distinctives

Comment

Working...
                    X