Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Words of the Lord

Hi I'm Anna and I'll write in the words of the Lord :

When Jesus came into the coast of Ceasarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, whom do men say that I the son of man am?

What does this mean to you I am the son of man am?

I believe this means that God was created in the body of a man named Jesus Christ, and, He was brought on this planet to help understand what His Father said, and, wants us to do. And, I know that He was then tried, convicted, and, killed(nailed on the cross), and, then rose again to get ready to bring us back to Heaven to meet our Creator. That is what those words mean to me.
    PSALM23
    http://encouragementcentral.wetpaint.com/

Please visit the aboce link to my website. I will be adding scripture as I feel it needs to be. And, please feel free to tell me about it. Thanks, and, GOD Bless!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Can you clarify, are you asking the origins of the title 'Son of Man' or what the response was? SofTy.
      1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul?

KJV

May the power of the Spirit of our God unite us. SofTy.

Comment

Originally posted by cjneely View Post

When Jesus came into the coast of Ceasarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, whom do men say that I the son of man am?

Hi Anna,

When Jesus asked this question of His disciples, Simon Peter was the one who answered correctly.

Mt 16:13-16
        13 When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, "Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?"
        14 So they said, "Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets."
        15 He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"
        16 Simon Peter answered and said, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." NKJV

When Jesus asked the question the first time, He gave them a clue.

The question "Who do you say that I am?" included the phrase "the Son of Man".

When they gave their guesses, He narrowed the question and left out the phrase, the Son of Man.

What is your answer to the question Anna? Who do you say that He is?

Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
        23 Guard your heart above all else,
        for it determines the course of your life.

Comment

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/son-of-man.html

Comment

In this passage Jesus tells the disciples about His true identity as Savior

Hi, Anna (cjneely)!
            Welcome to Bibleforums!!
            It's great to have you here!!

The Context of the saying you are asking about

The words you are asking about come up in a particuar context. Jesus has just fed the 4000 -- his second miraculous feeding (earlier it was 5000), and is alone with His disciples. He asks them the question you quote from Matthew's text (Matt. 16:13; cf. Mark 8:27, Luke 9:18). "When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I, the Son of man, am?" Jesus is asking what the people generally are saying about him -- who they think He is. The disciples report to him that they think He is one of the prophets. Then Jesus asks them "Who do you say that I am?"

At this point Peter, moved by God's Spirit says "You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God!" Jesus replies that Peter is blessed for saying this, for God Himself has revealed this to Peter.

This is the moment at which Jesus starts to reveal more fully to the disciples just Who He is. So He follows up on Peter's statement about who He (Jesus) is by explaining that He will have to be crucified, and on the third day rise again from the dead. This is very upsetting to the disciples, and Peter in particular, and Peter says "No! This must never happen to you!" Jesus replies that that rebuke from Peter is the Devil's own response. Jesus continues that "whoever would come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me!"

A week later, Jesus reveals himself more fully to Peter James and John in the "Transfiguration" -- going up on a mountain, to talk with Moses and Elijah, about his crucifixion, and having his glory revealed to them there!!

Jesus' Question Itself

Jesus is asking the disciples about how people perceive His (Jesus') identity.
            Then, next, Jesus asks them (the disciples) "Who do you say that I am?" In one way, the whole Gospel story -- in each of the Gospel texts -- Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John -- revolves around this very point. And it is the central question that God asks of us, of you and of me: Who is Jesus Christ?

Matthew tells us that in this context Jesus also refers to Himself as "the Son of Man". This is a very common way for Jesus to talk: Jesus refers to himself as "the Son of Man" 77 or 78 times in the Gospels. Just why he uses this phrase to refer to himself, what its significance is, is something that would require another post. There are threads on the subject. If this is the thing you are asking about, then let us know.

So I would say in summary:
            In this passage Jesus tells (or begins to tell) the disciples about His true identity as Savior -- and what that means: that He is the Son of God, and that He must bear the cross for our sins!!

Hope that that's helpful!

In friendship,
            Scruffy Kid

Comment

Hi I'm Anna and I'll write in the words of the Lord :When Jesus came into the coast of Ceasarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, whom do men say that I the son of man am?
              I think using that term may have been Jesus linking himself to the One seen by Daniel.
              ch.7 13"I kept looking in the night visions,
              And behold, with the clouds of heaven
              One like a Son of Man was coming,
              And He came up to the Ancient of Days
              And was presented before Him.
              14"And to Him was given dominion,
              Glory and a kingdom,
              That all the peoples, nations and men of every language
              Might serve Him
              His dominion is an everlasting dominion
              Which will not pass away;
              And His kingdom is one