A. W. Tozer's Attributes of God - Part 1 - Wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A. W. Tozer's Attributes of God - Part 1 - Wisdom

Any time we discuss theology, it seems that there is some confusion as to the nature and character of God. Not having a correct understanding of the nature and character of God can cause us to form some fairly strange and sometimes heretical doctrine. The best list of God's attributes I have ever found was in a book called Knowledge of the Holy written by a man named A.W. Tozer. If you are interested, I would like to go through and discuss (with scripture) Tozer's divine attributes of God. This is part one of what will likely be a long series of discussions. I have included a list of all of the attributes I would like to discuss, but for now we are only going to tackle Wisdom. Please keep all posts related to wisdom and have scripture ready to support your position.

Full list - Wisdom, Infinitude, Sovereignty, Holiness, Trinity, Omniscience, Faithfulness, Love, Omnipotence, Self-existence, Self-sufficiency, Justice, Immutability, Mercy, Eternal, Goodness, Gracious, Omnipresence

Let's get started with WISDOM.

Romans 11:33-36 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor? Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again? For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

What and excellent study!! Thank you for starting this!

I thought of the book of Job, especially the last few chapters of Job where God confronts Job.

Job 12:13 "To God belong wisdom and power; counsel and understanding are his.
    Job 38:2 "Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge?
    My Blog
    Pentecostal Distinctives
    Easter minus the Bunny, Eggs, and Chocolate
    Pentecost: the Forgotten Holy Day
    Pentecostal Emotionalism or Worship?
    Baptism in the Holy Spirit
    Christians and Vegetarianism/Veganism

Comment

The entire book of Proverbs.

Proverbs 2
      6 - For the LORD gives wisdom;
      From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.
      7 - He stores up sound wisdom for the upright;
      He is a shield to those who walk in integrity,
      I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
      - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Yeah, but what is wisdom? It's more than having knowledge, or being smart.

My working definition is: "Wisdom is having the ability to apply knowledge in the best manner possible under the given circumstances in a way that results in the good that God desires."

When you say "Wisdom," what are you talking about?

Comment

I found the following definition of wisdom: is knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action; sagacity, discernment, or insight. I wasn’t sure what “sagacity” meant but found that it relates to acuteness of mental discernment and soundness of judgment.

Applying this to God, I’d say that God is Wisdom of Knowledge of what is True and has Just Judgment regarding action (sagacity, discernment, and insight).
          My Blog
          Pentecostal Distinctives

Comment

Originally posted by RabbiKnife View Post
            YMy working definition is: "Wisdom is having the ability to apply knowledge in the best manner possible under the given circumstances in a way that results in the good that God desires."
            I think that is a good place to start. That is a more than acceptable definition of wisdom.

What does the Bible tell us about godly wisdom?

James 3:17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
            For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Missionary View Post
              I think that is a good place to start. That is a more than acceptable definition of wisdom.

What does the Bible tell us about godly wisdom?

James 3:17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
              I thought it was pretty good for an immature, dishonest mud-slinging warmonger.

Comment

The Bible tells us that all the treasures of wisdom are hid in Him...

Colossians 2:2-3 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

It tells us that His wisdom is manifold (multifaceted)....

Ephesians 3:10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,

Comment

So to have the mind of Christ is to have wisdom? And to have the mind of Christ one must have the Holy Spirit?
                  I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
                  - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Can you expound further?

Comment

If we are in fellowship, allowing the Holy Spirit to use us, allowing Him to guide our steps, we will demonstrate wisdom that is beyond our personal capabilities.
                      - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Yes.

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Missionary View Post
                          Yes.

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
                          And, since a few of the gifts of the Spirit are: discernment and Word of Wisdom, it would seem that the Baptism of the Holy Spirit does enable us to demonstrate wisdom beyond our own human abilities.
                          My Blog
                          Pentecostal Distinctives

Comment

Here is a good excerpt from Job on the value of God's wisdom...

Job 28:12-25 But where shall wisdom be found? and where is the place of understanding? Man knoweth not the price thereof; neither is it found in the land of the living. The depth saith, It is not in me: and the sea saith, It is not with me. It cannot be gotten for gold, neither shall silver be weighed for the price thereof. It cannot be valued with the gold of Ophir, with the precious onyx, or the sapphire. The gold and the crystal cannot equal it: and the exchange of it shall not be for jewels of fine gold. No mention shall be made of coral, or of pearls: for the price of wisdom is above rubies. The topaz of Ethiopia shall not equal it, neither shall it be valued with pure gold. Whence then cometh wisdom? and where is the place of understanding? Seeing it is hid from the eyes of all living, and kept close from the fowls of the air. Destruction and death say, We have heard the fame thereof with our ears. God understandeth the way thereof, and he knoweth the place thereof. For he looketh to the ends of the earth, and seeth under the whole heaven; To make the weight for the winds; and he weigheth the waters by measure.

Comment

Ephesians 5
                              17 - So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.

18 - And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit,
                              - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Working...
                              X