Art in the Bible....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Art in the Bible....

I am doing some study regarding those who were set aside to work art in the Tabernacle and Temple... basically I'm scouring the Bible to find every artist in it...

I would like some help... and I thought it would be an interesting discussion
    The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you,And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,And give you peace. Numbers 6:24-26

What is amazing is that after G_d called them to do the job, He also equipped them to do so...

Exodus 35:
    30 And Moses said unto the children of Israel, See, the LORD hath called by name Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah;

31 And he hath filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship;

32 And to devise curious works, to work in gold, and in silver, and in brass,

33 And in the cutting of stones, to set them, and in carving of wood, to make any manner of cunning work.

34 And he hath put in his heart that he may teach, both he, and Aholiab, the son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan.

35 Them hath he filled with wisdom of heart, to work all manner of work, of the engraver, and of the cunning workman, and of the embroiderer, in blue, and in purple, in scarlet, and in fine
    The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    there are better things ahead.
    -Holley Gerth

Comment

The plans for both the tabernacle and the temple were given by revelation:

Ex 26:30; 1 Chr 28:19

Interestingly, the chief craftsman for Solomon's temple was a man of Tyre named Huram, who served the king of Tyre and who had a Hebrew mother from the tribe of Dan (2 Chron 2).
      Love In Christ,
      Tanya

Comment

That's what I think was so amazing about the art in the Bible... that God filled them with wisdom and revelation... just like he does for any other ministry position...
        The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you,And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,And give you peace. Numbers 6:24-26

Comment

Originally posted by timmyb View Post
          ... just like he does for any other ministry position...
          And that is such a blessing!!
          He equips the willing ( the obedient ones)
          or Anoints the appointed
          The LORD is my Miracle

Hope is a seed
          God plants in our hearts
          to remind us
          -Holley Gerth

Comment

Originally posted by ACCM View Post
            And that is such a blessing!!
            He equips the willing ( the obedient ones)
            or Anoints the appointed
            i bet you heard that from a preacher...

Comment

Originally posted by TanyaP View Post
              The plans for both the tabernacle and the temple were given by revelation:

Ex 26:30; 1 Chr 28:19

Interestingly, the chief craftsman for Solomon's temple was a man of Tyre named Huram, who served the king of Tyre and who had a Hebrew mother from the tribe of Dan (2 Chron 2).
              i thought he was a king...

Comment

Hiram was the king of Tyre and Huram was his master craftsman.
                Love In Christ,
                Tanya

Comment

Nope, I am walking in it
                  The LORD is my Miracle

Hope is a seed
                  God plants in our hearts
                  to remind us
                  -Holley Gerth

Comment

i thought he was a king...
                    He was; Hiram was a Phoenician ruler, King of Tyre, who reigned for about 35 years and died in the 930s BC. He supplied the materials for David's palace and Solomon's Temple.

Comment

Huram was the craftsman, Hiram was the king. You can read about it in 2 Chronicles chapter 2.
                      Love In Christ,
                      Tanya

Comment

Hmmmm. Art in the Bible. Well, there is this:
                        Titus 3:12 When I shall send Artemas unto thee, or Tychicus, be diligent to come unto me to Nicopolis: for I have determined there to winter.
                        Sorry..............
                        Couldn't resist...

Comment

It is actually scriptural
                          See here ::Ex 31:6 And I, behold, I have given with him Aholiab, the son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan: and in the hearts of all that are wise hearted I have put wisdom, that they may make all that I have commanded thee;

Ex 35:10 And every wise hearted among you shall come, and make all that the LORD hath commanded;

Ex 35:22 And they came, both men and women, as many as were willing hearted, and brought bracelets, and earrings, and rings, and tablets, all jewels of gold: and every man that offered, offered an offering of gold unto the LORD.

Ex 35:25 And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen.

Ex 36:1 Then wrought Bezaleel and Aholiab, and every wise hearted man, in whom the LORD put wisdom and understanding to know how to work all manner of work for the service of the sanctuary, according to all that the LORD had commanded.

Ex 36:2 And Moses called Bezaleel and Aholiab, and every wise hearted man, in whose heart the LORD had put wisdom, even every one whose heart stirred him up to come unto the work to do it:

Ex 36:8 And every wise hearted man among them that wrought the work of the tabernacle made ten curtains of fine twined linen, and blue, and purple, and scarlet: with cherubim of cunning work made he them.

Their willingness = wiseheartedness..... and in their hearts the L_rd put His wisdom to do what He has called them to do.... THUS G_d has blessed the obedient/willing with wisdom
                          The LORD is my Miracle

Hope is a seed
                          God plants in our hearts
                          to remind us
                          -Holley Gerth

Comment

Hi Timmy,

Not sure you will find the word "art" in the Bible. But I was thinking that if I had to do a Bible search on the topic, I would search for related words like, "adorn", "adornment", "image", "beauty", "create", "creation". Also, like the Temple, other things men make are adorned with images or artwork. So we might look at words like "build", "built", "made", and "erected."

Also, we might think about the purpose of art. What is art? Why do we make art? How does art communicate ideas that common modes of communication fail to express?

If we follow this line of thinking, we might search for passages in which the Bible give us it's view on indirect forms of communication such as the parable, the story, the illustration, the riddle, and etc.

Good luck and keep hunting.

Comment

The greatest artist of all is in the Bible - God. He created beauty that all human artists can only copy.

As a photographer, I often observe the puny quality of even my best photos, compared to the Creation which I am trying to capture on film.

Even so, my pictures enable me to share my journeys with others who have not been to those places.
                              Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
                              23 Guard your heart above all else,
                              for it determines the course of your life.

Comment

Working...
                              X