What did Satan know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did Satan know?

Did Satan know that Jesus would rise from the dead?

If he didn't know then why did Jesus say "get behind me Satan" to Peter when he wanted to stop him from going to Jerusalem?

Can anybody make sense of what I'm trying to say?

Originally posted by LaurieF View Post

If he didn't know then why did Jesus say "get behind me Satan" to Peter when he wanted to stop him from going to Jerusalem?

Hi Laurie,

One thing is for sure. Satan is not omniscient. That attribute belings to God alone. Therefore, it's anyone's guess what he knows and doesn't know. Although I wouldn't be dogmatic about this, the incident you bring up seems to indicate that Satan did not fully grasp God's plan of salvation.
    In His Service,

Nomad

Got questions about Reformed theology? Want solid Biblical answers without all of the usual nastiness, mud slinging and straw-man portraits of Reformed Theology found in public forums? Then ask a Calvinist.

Ask a Calvinist

http://abidingtruth.wordpress.com/

Warranted Faith - Reformed Apologetics & Theology

Comment

I don't think Jesus' rebuke had so much to do with resurrection as it did His death. Peter would not have objected to his Lord rising to heaven as he would Him dying.
      This is another of satan's ploy for Jesus to do an end run around the cross to avoid the cross and thus secure man's redemption. Notice same words were used in my second reference -"get behind me Satan".

And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again. And he spake that saying openly. And Peter took him, and began to rebuke him. But when he had turned about and looked on his disciples, he rebuked Peter, saying, Get thee behind me, Satan: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men. And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.
      (Mar 8:31-35)

And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it. If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
      (Luk 4:5-8)

I think Jesus' rebuke had more to do with
      ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Comment

It is written:

1 Cor 2:8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

Shalom

Comment

Thats what I thought. So Jesus wasn't literally talking to Satan by rebuking Peter? Don't you think Satan thought he would gain victory from Christ dying? So why would he want to stop him from going to the cross?

Comment

Yes, I think ol' Satan had it in his head that once Jesus was dead it was a done deal. But, he wasn't as clever as he thunked he was! So true for much of ol'Satan's modus operandi -- he thinks he is all that and a bag of chips when he just ain't. I mean, look at his fall from grace--he actually thought he could defeat God? Really? Like, how stupid can you get--or how arrogant. The other interesting thing is, Satan knows scripture so he knows -- or should know -- how this whole thing works out but yet he persists in trying to change it! Dumb as a box of rocks....just plum dumb....
            My Blog
            Pentecostal Distinctives
            Easter minus the Bunny, Eggs, and Chocolate
            Pentecost: the Forgotten Holy Day
            Pentecostal Emotionalism or Worship?
            Baptism in the Holy Spirit
            Christians and Vegetarianism/Veganism

Comment

Thats what I thought. So Jesus wasn't literally talking to Satan by rebuking Peter? Don't you think Satan thought he would gain victory from Christ dying? So why would he want to stop him from going to the cross?
              Remember Scripture said that when Judas took the piece of bread from Jesus, Satan entered him. It was Satan in him that led Judas to go betray Jesus to the chief priests and the Pharisees. So I guess we can't be dogmatic either way, if Satan had known, he wouldn't have made Judas go and betray Christ.
              Tit 3:2 to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.

Comment

Jesus was speking to the carnel mind that Peter had fallen into for the moment. any thing that is not Christ, the annointed one, it is anti christ.

Comment

Working...
                X