Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overlooked Resurrection

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Overlooked Resurrection

    Matthew 27:52-53 says

    The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus' resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many people. (NIV)
    (This was after Jesus' death). Does anyone else find this extremely strange? Jesus did speak of a resurrection, yet this was of the Second Coming. Does anyone know why people were resurrected after Jesus' crucifixion?
    Jesus Lives
    Jesús vive
    Iesu wa ikite iru

    PUT ON THE FULL ARMOR OF GOD! (Eph 6:11)

  • #2
    I don't find it strange but I'm not sure why it happened.
    This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Christ Warrior View Post
      Matthew 27:52-53 says

      (This was after Jesus' death). Does anyone else find this extremely strange? Jesus did speak of a resurrection, yet this was of the Second Coming. Does anyone know why people were resurrected after Jesus' crucifixion?
      Was Lazareth resurrected or raised from the dead? Were these holy people raised from the dead or resurrected? Was anyone raised from the dead, resurrected?

      Only Jesus has been resurrected... so far.
      Slug1--out

      ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
        Was Lazareth resurrected or raised from the dead? Were these holy people raised from the dead or resurrected? Was anyone raised from the dead, resurrected?

        Only Jesus has been resurrected... so far.
        Hmm. Interesting. What's the difference? Between what happened to Lazarus and Jesus? Now you've got me curious.
        This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

        Comment


        • #5
          The graves were opened when the earthquake marked the death of Jesus. The dead did not resurrect until after Christ had risen from the dead. These gave witness to the resurrection appearing to many. We can only infer that these went into heaven with Christ.

          For the cause of Christ
          Roger

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by -SEEKING- View Post
            Hmm. Interesting. What's the difference? Between what happened to Lazarus and Jesus? Now you've got me curious.
            Lazurus was raised in his former body and Christ rose with a glorified body. For one.

            For the cause of Christ
            Roger

            Comment


            • #7
              It says they were raised to life, but it does not say they were resurrected. I think there is a difference there. As was previously mentioned Lazarus was raised to life after he died, but he did not have a resurrected body yet. Lazarus ultimately died again at some point. I can only assume that the same would have to be the case for these holy people too. Scripture clearly tells us we receive an incorruptible body at the resurrection and that is at the return of Jesus. So my line of thinking on this is that this was another miraculous sign to bring glory to God and testify to the power of Jesus.
              I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
              Have you laid your burdens down?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by notuptome View Post
                Lazurus was raised in his former body and Christ rose with a glorified body. For one.
                Jesus Christ was raised in his former body as well... The difference is that Lazarus' former body was not raised to be incorruptible, whereas Jesus' body was raised incorruptible.
                To This Day

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by markedward View Post
                  Jesus Christ was raised in his former body as well... The difference is that Lazarus' former body was not raised to be incorruptible, whereas Jesus' body was raised incorruptible.
                  Well I support the bodily resurrection of Christ. I said glorified body you say incorruptible body I think we mean the same thing. There were certainly some tweeks that Lazurus did not have. It still does not settle the question of the others who were resurrected with Christ.

                  For the cause of Christ
                  Roger

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sorry; my contention was with your phrasing that "Lazarus was raised in his former body", which seemed to imply that you did not believe Jesus Christ "was raised in his former body", when he was.
                    To This Day

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Christ Warrior View Post
                      Matthew 27:52-53 says

                      (This was after Jesus' death). Does anyone else find this extremely strange? Jesus did speak of a resurrection, yet this was of the Second Coming. Does anyone know why people were resurrected after Jesus' crucifixion?
                      Elijah 1Kings 17:21-22, Elisha 2 Kings 4:32-35, Peter Acts 9:40, and Paul Acts 20:9-11 also raised the dead.

                      Christ gives power to his disciples:
                      Matthew 10:8 “Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.”

                      So the disciples, including Judas had received power from Christ and nothing suggests they ever lost it.

                      As to why, the disciples were following the instructions of Christ. Today, we have medical technologies and practices that can - within a very small time frame - revive people within certain conditions. But this is not the same as what Christ, his disciples, and others did.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by notuptome View Post
                        Well I support the bodily resurrection of Christ. I said glorified body you say incorruptible body I think we mean the same thing. There were certainly some tweeks that Lazurus did not have. It still does not settle the question of the others who were resurrected with Christ.

                        For the cause of Christ
                        Roger

                        Personally I think there is a difference between being raised from dead to life and being resurrected. It may sound like splitting hairs, but I see the resurrection as getting our glorified/incorporable bodies. Being raised from the dead means you get the same old sinful body we had before. I think that is the distinction in this passage. Like you said about Lazarus missing some of the tweaks, I think these people lacked the tweaks too.

                        After all we know that Jesus is the first fruit of the resurrection and looking at the passages in context it shows that these holy people were raised at the time of Jesus' death when the veil in the temple had been torn. So if Jesus had just died and has not been raised yet then we can conclude that this raising of the dead has to be of the same nature as Lazarus' raising from the dead and lacking the tweaks needed to be part of the resurrection.
                        I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
                        Have you laid your burdens down?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Is there any extra Biblical evidence of these peoples who were raised? It would be very interesting to know of the reactions. Like someone sitting down and one of their firmly dead loved ones coming and saying "Hi, I'm back"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by newinchrist4now View Post
                            Is there any extra Biblical evidence of these peoples who were raised? It would be very interesting to know of the reactions. Like someone sitting down and one of their firmly dead loved ones coming and saying "Hi, I'm back"
                            The event certainly would have caused great commotion-yet I also have not seen anything other than the scripture, but that doesn't discount it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              True. I am wondering if that's where stories like that came down to us, some stories I heard had formly deceased people come back.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X