Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Would You Leave Your Church (New and Improved Poll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Would You Leave Your Church (New and Improved Poll)

I just started a thread on non-essentials, but that proved to be a bit difficult. So I thought I'd make the poll a bit broader than that and make the question simply this:

Which issues are important enough for you that you would leave your church over them?
    The Trinity
    9.06%
    The Deity & Humanity of Christ
    10.57%
    The Nature of Salvation
    10.19%
    The Resurrection of Christ
    10.94%
    The Return of Christ
    8.30%
    A specific eschatological position
    0.00%
    The Nature of Creation (Big-bang, Young Earth, GAP-theory)
    1.89%
    Homosexuality
    8.68%
    Divorce
    1.13%
    Role of women in the Church
    2.64%
    Baptism in water
    3.40%
    Baptism in the Holy Spirit
    4.15%
    Speaking in tongues
    3.40%
    Gifts of the Spirit
    3.40%
    The Character of God (His Holiness, Love, Wisdom, Power, etc.)
    7.55%
    Tithing / Giving
    1.13%
    Church Organization
    2.26%
    The Eternal Nature of Hell
    6.04%
    Observing the Sabbath / Sunday rest
    1.89%
    Other (please specify)
    3.40%
    Who have I in heaven but You oh God? Besides You, I desire nothing here on earth. My heart and my flesh may fail me, but God will be the strength of my heart and my portion forever...as for me, the nearness of God is my good - Psalm 73:25-26, 28a

Check out my new blog at pilgrimtozion.blogspot.com

Re: Why Would You Leave Your Church (New and Improved Poll)

Originally posted by Pilgrimtozion View Post
    I just started a thread on non-essentials, but that proved to be a bit difficult. So I thought I'd make the poll a bit broader than that and make the question simply this:

Which issues are important enough for you that you would leave your church over them?
    Objectivity and commitment to truth.
    Consistency of teaching (especially in connection to above)
    Practical teaching on sin (and the repentance thereof)
    Culture of community.

For these 4 reasons I forsake all fellowship and take my chances on my own.

Comment

Wow Pilgrim....that is quite a list....I'm gonna take a bit to think about it before I vote in this one. You might want to consider adding " What kind of cookies are served after the service" that is always an important thing for me. ( Just Kidding!)
      sigpic
      Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord and He will lift you up
      James 4:10

Comment

There are some basic truths that a church must have. If those exist, the body can be brought in line through study of the word and conversation. (In an ideal setting, of course)
        Psalm 19:14
        Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.
        sigpic

Comment

Fancy that - I accidentally checked Divorce when I didn't intend to. Just so you know.
          Who have I in heaven but You oh God? Besides You, I desire nothing here on earth. My heart and my flesh may fail me, but God will be the strength of my heart and my portion forever...as for me, the nearness of God is my good - Psalm 73:25-26, 28a

Comment

Fancy that - I accidentally checked Divorce when I didn't intend to. Just so you know.
            Why do you not have "quality of worship music" as one of the options to justify leaving??? I've actually seen it done.
            Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_no_one View Post
              Why do you not have "quality of worship music" as one of the options to justify leaving??? I've actually seen it done.
              Or the existance of music at all.

Comment

Originally posted by HisLeast View Post
                Or the existance of music at all.
                It's sad that a church can be split in two simply because of music tempo or the refreshments served after the message.
                sigpic

Comment

I voted:

The Trinity
                  The deity and humanity of Christ
                  The nature of salvation
                  The resurrection of Christ
                  The return of Christ
                  Homosexuality
                  Baptism in water
                  The character of God
                  To This Day

Comment

A few points I'd like to clarify:

Baptism of the Holy Spirit/Tongues/Gifts: I would leave my church if they made these essential for salvation.
                    Homosexuality: I would leave my church if a) it promoted hate toward the individuals or b) promoted permissive attitudes toward the behavior.
                    My Blog
                    Pentecostal Distinctives
                    Easter minus the Bunny, Eggs, and Chocolate
                    Pentecost: the Forgotten Holy Day
                    Pentecostal Emotionalism or Worship?
                    Christians and Vegetarianism/Veganism

Comment

I have been going to the same church my whole life 39 years. It's a roman catholic church, the only reason I would leave it is becasue the priests are boring and have no life in them. Not all of them but they really need to get someone in there younger with some fire in them. I have gone to many other churches, denominations and whatnot.

I feel the quick answer for people in today's world is just to leave, that is being a coward. I don't want to conform with the masses and just move because I am not completely happy. No church is a 100% perfect, just like people. I should become more active in the church and express what is needed, maybe someone will listen.
                      I'm astounded, bewildered, confused, baffled when people tell me there are 75 million people in America that are filled with the Holy Ghost and we're the most rotten nation on earth. "Leonard Ravenhill"

Comment

What I'd be interested in is why some of you chose some options but then didn't choose others.

Comment

What I'd be interested in is why some of you chose some options but then didn't choose others.
                          If you have questions, feel free to ask! I'll be back after lunch
                          sigpic

Comment

I chose the first four. I would add that if any of the other choices in the list became a salvation issue I would possibly leave. The Apostle Paul fought harder against those who tried to add conditions to God's grace than any other subject.

Comment

To add to my previous post, the other options I chose had to do with the Essentials of the Faith:
                              • The Trinity
                              • The Deity & Humanity of Christ
                              • The Nature of Salvation
                              • The Resurrection of Christ
                              • The Return of Christ
                              • The Character of God (His Holiness, Love, Wisdom, Power, etc.)

I also chose: Baptism in water because I don't believe scripture supports it being essential for salvation and if my church suddenly decided it was essential, I'd have to leave.
                              My Blog
                              Pentecostal Distinctives
                              Easter minus the Bunny, Eggs, and Chocolate
                              Pentecost: the Forgotten Holy Day
                              Pentecostal Emotionalism or Worship?
                              Christians and Vegetarianism/Veganism

Comment

Working...
                              X