Apostle/Disciple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apostle/Disciple

What is the difference between an apostle and a disciple?
    Psalm 19:14
    Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.
    sigpic

Re: Apostle/Disciple

Good question. The apostles were the 12 guys specifically chosen by Jesus to follow Him and minister with Him while he was here on earth. The disciples were the rest of the people who followed Jesus and heard His teachings and were trying to get close to Him as well.
    This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_no_one View Post

I think it depends on how it is used. From the following they appear to be the same.

Mt 10:1 And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.

Mt 11:1 And it came to pass, when Jesus had made an end of commanding his twelve disciples, he departed thence to teach and to preach in their cities.

Lk 6:13 And when it was day, he called unto him his disciples: and of them he chose twelve, whom also he named apostles;

Firstfruits

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_no_one View Post
        The Greek word "Apostolos" means one who is sent. The apostles were personally sent by Jesus to preach the Gospel, so they were Jesus' apostles, (Ones He sent). A disciple is student, a disciple of Jesus is one who learns from Jesus and follows His teachings.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch5 View Post
          The Greek word "Apostolos" means one who is sent. The apostles were personally sent by Jesus to preach the Gospel, so they were Jesus' apostles, (Ones He sent). A disciple is student, a disciple of Jesus is one who learns from Jesus and follows His teachings.
          Good answer .
          "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
          Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
          ... there are few who find it."

-----------------------------------------------

* All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

The New American Standard Bible®,
          Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
          1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
          Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis

Comment

Originally posted by Firstfruits View Post
            I think it depends on how it is used. From the following they appear to be the same.

Mt 10:1 And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.

Mt 11:1 And it came to pass, when Jesus had made an end of commanding his twelve disciples, he departed thence to teach and to preach in their cities.

Lk 6:13 And when it was day, he called unto him his disciples: and of them he chose twelve, whom also he named apostles;

Firstfruits
            This is not limited to 12 disciples turned apostles. Any who follow Jesus are disciples and all disciples can do all that the apostels can do.

In Luke we read about the Seventy being sent out. Here is a single scripture concerning part of their task so it wasn't ONLY speaking the Word of God to others:

Luke 10: 9 And heal the sick there, and say to them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you.’

Break, Break, Break...Phone call... ok, where was I? Hahaha

Also, the scripture covering the Great Commission. We have this twice in scripture:

Mt 28:18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore[c] and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

The point I want to focus on - Some will say that since this was given to the Apostles, this task is ONLY for the Apostles... WHAT? If THEY (Apostels) are to TEACH all, to observe ALL THINGS commanded of them, then WE are also to do the Great Commission and also DO as the Apostels have done. ALL THINGS, so what the Holy Spirit has done through them, He does through ALL of us as well.

Additional scripture concerning the Great Commission:

Mk 16:15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they[b] will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Again, in this additional information concerning the Great Commission... all the, "They will" and the "He who believes/those who believe", confirms that WE, or any Christians are to do as the Apostels BEGAN to do. Not that they were the ONLY ones capable to do, they just BEGAN to do all this through Christ.

The same Christ in them, is in us all, who are Christians. We are not limited except how we limited ourselves.

No, we're not Apostles as the first 12 were, but we are all disciples who have been taught and commanded to do as they did and since much they did was by the lead of the Holy Spirit (they DID as led), all we need to do is the same and any who allow the Holy Spirit to lead them WILL DO all that the Apostels did. For example, we will do as those 70 did as well.
            Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
              This is not limited to 12 disciples turned apostles. Any who follow Jesus are disciples and all disciples can do all that the apostels can do.

In Luke we read about the Seventy being sent out. Here is a single scripture concerning part of their task so it wasn't ONLY speaking the Word of God to others:

Luke 10: 9 And heal the sick there, and say to them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you.’

Break, Break, Break...Phone call... ok, where was I? Hahaha

Also, the scripture covering the Great Commission. We have this twice in scripture:

Mt 28:18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore[c] and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

The point I want to focus on - Some will say that since this was given to the Apostles, this task is ONLY for the Apostles... WHAT? If THEY (Apostels) are to TEACH all, to observe ALL THINGS commanded of them, then WE are also to do the Great Commission and also DO as the Apostels have done. ALL THINGS, so what the Holy Spirit has done through them, He does through ALL of us as well.

Additional scripture concerning the Great Commission:

Mk 16:15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they[b] will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Again, in this additional information concerning the Great Commission... all the, "They will" and the "He who believes/those who believe", confirms that WE, or any Christians are to do as the Apostels BEGAN to do. Not that they were the ONLY ones capable to do, they just BEGAN to do all this through Christ.

The same Christ in them, is in us all, who are Christians. We are not limited except how we limited ourselves.

No, we're not Apostles as the first 12 were, but we are all disciples who have been taught and commanded to do as they did and since much they did was by the lead of the Holy Spirit (they DID as led), all we need to do is the same and any who allow the Holy Spirit to lead them WILL DO all that the Apostels did. For example, we will do as those 70 did as well.
              Agreed!

God bless you!

Firstfruits

Comment

I'm going to play devil's advocate like I usually do here...

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                Christ sent the 12.
                Christ commanded all believers to go and spread the word.

Christ is SENDING both groups. All believers are apostles?

Comment

Originally posted by TexUs View Post
                  I'm going to play devil's advocate like I usually do here...

Christ sent the 12.
                  Christ commanded all believers to go and spread the word.

Christ is SENDING both groups. All believers are apostles?
                  The point of my post... the same Christ in them, is in us. We all do as they were able to do if we allow the Holy Spirit to work through all of us as they allowed the Holy Spirit to work through all of them.
                  Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

The Greek word "Apostolos" means one who is sent.
                    My post was also dealing with this comment as well.

If the 12 were sent, and we were sent... By the same arguments presented here we are all Apostles as well as Disciples.

Comment

My post was also dealing with this comment as well.

If the 12 were sent, and we were sent... By the same arguments presented here we are all Apostles as well as Disciples.
                      Jesus sent the 12 and Paul, He didn't send me, how can I be one sent by Christ if He didn't send me?

Comment

Jesus sent the 12 and Paul, He didn't send me, how can I can be one sent by Christ if He didn't send me?
                        Great Commission...

Comment

Great Commission...
                          Great Commsision? I wasn't there.

Comment

Great Commsision? I wasn't there.

There's a fine line there. So then do we not go and preach to anyone since none of Jesus words were spoken to us?
                            This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

It has generally been held that Apostles are those "personally" sent/commissioned by Jesus himself. It was Jesus who appeared to Paul on the Damascus Road.

Some hold that it can be passed down from those whom Jesus personally sent.

Comment

Working...
                              X