Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love.....

Love.

A simple yet complex word. A word that can attribute to have a variable or static meaning in English.

Love. To love, to give love. To be loved, to be a recipient of another’s love. To have love. To lack love. To seek love, in to give or to receive. To desire to love, again to either give or receive. The object of love. The subject of love

Jesus asks Peter, do you love me? And He asks using various strengths of love, agapao, then phileo. Again to Peter with intimate commitment, Jesus asks... do you agapao Me? And even comparative to fishing, even more that these?

So what is love,? Really, where does it come from? How does one love? Is it something that comes easy? Something that is hard to do?

Love is translate into English over 310 times within the bible, yet how deep is love understood but those Love is given.

I submit for consideration a thread about Love… This Thread. A thread that should not hold a divisional doctrinal position. A thread that reaches to love one another as Christ has loved us. A thread that builds up the body based on Christ’s first love of us.

And I also submit, a thread that will die an early death, sadly, for folks will openly read this, and walk past it, for what fun is there not to argue about some other doctrinal position that is more controversial? But I’d “love” to be shown wrong, that folks will search scriptures about love, offer comment in love to the thread - in a point to love each other and it be a game changer within some hearts to learn to love more, even when it may be hard to do. “Simon, son of John, do you Love Me? ……

For and to the glory of Christ....
    "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
    Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
    ... there are few who find it."

-----------------------------------------------

* All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

The New American Standard Bible®,
    Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
    1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
    Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis

Re: Love.....

Originally posted by Redeemed by Grace View Post
    Love.

A simple yet complex word. A word that can attribute to have a variable or static meaning in English.

Love. To love, to give love. To be loved, to be a recipient of another’s love. To have love. To lack love. To seek love, in to give or to receive. To desire to love, again to either give or receive. The object of love. The subject of love

Jesus asks Peter, do you love me? And He asks using various strengths of love, agapao, then phileo. Again to Peter with intimate commitment, Jesus asks... do you agapao Me? And even comparative to fishing, even more that these?

So what is love,? Really, where does it come from? How does one love? Is it something that comes easy? Something that is hard to do?

Love is translate into English over 310 times within the bible, yet how deep is love understood but those Love is given.

I submit for consideration a thread about Love… This Thread. A thread that should not hold a divisional doctrinal position. A thread that reaches to love one another as Christ has loved us. A thread that builds up the body based on Christ’s first love of us.

And I also submit, a thread that will die an early death, sadly, for folks will openly read this, and walk past it, for what fun is there not to argue about some other doctrinal position that is more controversial? But I’d “love” to be shown wrong, that folks will search scriptures about love, offer comment in love to the thread - in a point to love each other and it be a game changer within some hearts to learn to love more, even when it may be hard to do. “Simon, son of John, do you Love Me? ……

For and to the glory of Christ....
    When we love according to the will of God we will cause no harm/hurt to our neighbour.

Firstfruits

Comment

1 Corinthians 13 is mandatory, no?
      1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.
      4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Comment

I wish English was akin to Greek with the different distinctions of love. It seems to me that when I see "love" written in scriptures it is like a painting with a single shade of color missing.

If you don't mind, I'll cut and paste something I posted on this very same topic a few days ago....

When I was 12, "love" was that unexplainably intense feeling I got when I looked at the pretty girl in my class and imagined her and I together. Love was about the feelings that I felt, and if I had to be honest, pretty much exclusively that. I couldn't understand why my parents shook their heads and facepalmed when I used the word love in that context.

Fast forward a decade or so and a few years of marriage and now I understand why my parents rolled their eyes at me. Love has very little to do with my feelings at all. Love is the source of compulsion to place someone else's needs & wants above your own, combined with the actions themselves that meet those needs. A couple of illustrations....
        - 5-6pm is the lowest point in my day. Its all I can do to remember my address and defy gravity. But because my wife has stuff going on then that she can't avoid either, I do all the supper prep during that hour. I'd MUCH rather be on the couch, or sitting in the back with a beer.

Love is a perpetual denial of self for another's benefit. Denial of priveledge, denial of instinct, denial of comfort, and denial of pride. I believe real love is demonstrated in the most real life, pragmatic, applicable, brass-tacks, and rubber meets the road ways. If you can't think of ways you have (or actually would/will) sacrificed for someone, then you do not love them.

Comment

Originally posted by HisLeast View Post
          I wish English was akin to Greek with the different distinctions of love. It seems to me that when I see "love" written in scriptures it is like a painting with a single shade of color missing.
          QFT on all that...
          English language is a really inflexible language, at least compared to Greek.

If you sit down and study that chapter, (including researching the Greek), you'll find love is much more than "I like being around this person".

Originally posted by HisLeast View Post
          I'd MUCH rather be on the couch, or sitting in the back with a beer.
          LOL, you better not tell any of the Baptist churches down south that.

Comment

Originally posted by TexUs View Post
            LOL, you better not tell any of the Baptist churches down south that.
            Well, if I listened to what churches had to say, I doubt I'd even be alive right now. So those who think I'm sinning by having a cold one now and then in the privacy of my own back yard can stick and egg in their shoe and beat it. Barring that they can use quality exegesis to show me blanket prohibition for alcohol consumption.

EDIT: After going on that tangent I felt bad for derailing the thread, so to compensate allow me a question....

Does "love" mean racing to the most restrictive lifestyle possible so as not to offend brethren?

Comment

No.

The "weaker brother" strawman is one of the most over-used and abused Guy Fawkes in all of Scripture. Many try to use "love" to manipulate.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbiKnife View Post
                No.

The "weaker brother" strawman is one of the most over-used and abused Guy Fawkes in all of Scripture. Many try to use "love" to manipulate.
                How so ?

Comment

Because the people that most often try to use "love" to extort other believers into limiting their freedom are not "weaker" brothers at all; they are not in danger of losing their faith; they are simply trying to force other believers to accept their limited view of Christian liberty by demanding adherence to some set of rules of behavior.

I can only "offend" a brother with whom I have relationship and fellowship; I cannot, by definition, offend a hypothetical brother that might hypothetically see me drinking a cold brew at some hypothetical event.

The context of the "weaker brother" passage is clear that these people were people that had relationship with one another.

Comment

IE, "You're making me stumble you should not drink because that is not loving of me."

Naturally, take out "drink" and put anything else in its place.

Comment

OK, RK and Tex -- with more info I see your line of thinking.... But what if that brother is the one with the alcohol problem and he asks you not to drink... would that be different?

I guess what I am trying to position is how love has many forms and is given and received in many ways... and if one did 'manipulate' the actions of another claiming love, and that one submitted to the manipulation, wouldn't that still be love given, even though the requester of an action used that to his own advantage....

For did not the Jews manipulate Jesus in demanding His life for which Jesus freely gave when by all rights, he didn't have to? Just asking for clarification to the lines of what love is and is not?

Comment

OK, RK and Tex -- with more info I see your line of thinking.... But what if that brother is the one with the alcohol problem and he asks you not to drink... would that be different?

I guess what I am trying to position is how love has many forms and is given and received in many ways... and if one did 'manipulate' the actions of another claiming love, and that one submitted to the manipulation, wouldn't that still be love given, even though the requester of an action used that to his own advantage....

For did not the Jews manipulate Jesus in demanding His life for which Jesus freely gave when by all rights, he didn't have to? Just asking for clarification to the lines of what love is and is not?
                        I don't suspect that love would have a "pound sand" attitude when it comes to something that might cause strife among brethren. Personally... I totally agree that there is no sin in having a beer or a glass of wine... even a shot of bourbon if that's what you enjoy. Yes, in the US folks don't do the moderation thing well and that's a problem no doubt. Nevertheless there is still no sin in the having the drink.

But... the big proverbial but... it does cause a lot of strife among believers. If you want to have your beer in the privacy of your own home then privately have your beer. In that process... keep your mouth shut about it and don't flaunt the fact that you have a beer (not accusing you of that HL... just making a point for all) thus offending those that think it a sin. It doesn't matter who's the "weaker"... what matters is that someone gets offended and you may well cause them to sin in their offense. That shows love in that you go out of your way, doing all that you can do, to bring about peace with the brother and you do well.

Visit our new website
                        ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
                        "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

IF I have a relationship with someone who has a problem with alcohol, then no, I would never drink around them, but I would be certain in my ongoing relationship with them that the issue was discussed, including the issue of Christian liberty.

I think we err with our misunderstanding of the word "offense." Offense in the US these days means "you hurt my feelings" or "you didn't do what I wanted you to do." This is not offense. This is manipulation. "Offense" as used in the weaker brother scenario is an action that causes one to doubt the validity of the Christian message.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbiKnife View Post
                            IF I have a relationship with someone who has a problem with alcohol, then no, I would never drink around them, but I would be certain in my ongoing relationship with them that the issue was discussed, including the issue of Christian liberty.

I think we err with our misunderstanding of the word "offense." Offense in the US these days means "you hurt my feelings" or "you didn't do what I wanted you to do." This is not offense. This is manipulation. "Offense" as used in the weaker brother scenario is an action that causes one to doubt the validity of the Christian message.
                            So I understand your heart on this subject, love stops if one is being manipulated?

Comment

So I understand your heart on this subject, love stops if one is being manipulated?
                              Love has nothing to do with being manipulated. If you love someone, you refuse to let them engage in manipulation.

Comment

Working...
                              X