Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And forgive us our sins…

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • And forgive us our sins…

    Jesus gave the disciples a pattern in approaching God in prayer, for we read within Matthew 6 what we call today the Lord’s prayer.

    Matthew 6:5-13
    5 "When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.
    6 "But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.
    7 "And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words.
    8 "So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.
    9 "Pray, then, in this way:
    'Our Father who is in heaven,
    Hallowed be Your name.
    10 'Your kingdom come.
    Your will be done,
    On earth as it is in heaven.
    11 'Give us this day our daily bread.
    12 'And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
    13 'And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. [For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen
    .'

    For this thread, we see Jesus telling His disciples to ask God for forgiveness of debts or sins, right after asking God for food for the day, so the question is this: How often do you ask God to forgive you of your sins?
    24
    Daily
    37.50%
    9
    Weekly
    8.33%
    2
    Monthly
    8.33%
    2
    All the time… for I don’t want one unconfessed sin to slip by
    0.00%
    0
    When I think of them
    4.17%
    1
    Don’t need to, I no longer sin
    0.00%
    0
    Don’t need to, I’ve been forgiven of all sins when I became saved
    4.17%
    1
    At the moment I become aware of my sin.
    37.50%
    9
    "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
    Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
    ... there are few who find it."


    -----------------------------------------------

    * All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

    The New American Standard Bible®,
    Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
    1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
    Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

    Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis


  • #2
    Re: And forgive us our sins…

    Although I whole heartedly believe that His Grace was sufficient to cover all my sins, I do ask daily. I also can't ignore the fact that if I do mess up, I should confess it to Him, although He knows it, I'm acknowledging my failure before Him and acknowledging my dependance on Him.
    This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: And forgive us our sins…

      How often do I confess? Whenever the Holy Spirit prompts me, taps me on the shoulder to let me know what I just did or said was wrong. That can be many times a day on some days.
      I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
      - Mahatma Gandhi



      Comment


      • #4
        Re: And forgive us our sins…

        I selected daily and also the selection of "at the moment I become aware of my sin". The Holy Spirit has convicted me of sin I have done after my acceptance of Christ and have sinned since then but in my immaturity in Christ and as my balance of a relationship with God, through Jesus was more in the world... some of this past sin has come up in prayer with God as I was praying in the Spirit and I acknowldged this sin as it was placed before me, confessed it and asked God for forgivness.
        Slug1--out

        ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: And forgive us our sins…

          Originally posted by RabbiKnife
          I've recently been told that if I sin it it because I'm not trying hard enough not to sin or that I use the Bible out of context as an excuse for sinning, so I'm not sure how to answer since I am a carnal Christian.
          Not sure I follow
          "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
          Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
          ... there are few who find it."


          -----------------------------------------------

          * All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

          The New American Standard Bible®,
          Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
          1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
          Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

          Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: And forgive us our sins…

            Originally posted by RabbiKnife
            Just repeating what I've been told when I say "I sin willfully and repeatedly." Since I don't blame "ignorance" or others for my sin, this is what I have been told.
            Oh...

            You've been told that, but not what you are saying?
            "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
            Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
            ... there are few who find it."


            -----------------------------------------------

            * All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

            The New American Standard Bible®,
            Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
            1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
            Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

            Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: And forgive us our sins…

              Originally posted by Vhayes View Post
              How often do I confess? Whenever the Holy Spirit prompts me, taps me on the shoulder to let me know what I just did or said was wrong. That can be many times a day on some days.
              Thanks be to God for His Spirt that convicts us when we sin. I would hate to not have the witness of His Spirit with my spirit that I am His. What clearer evidence could we seek than His Spirit prompting us that we have sinned against His great love?

              For the cause of Christ
              Roger

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: And forgive us our sins…

                Originally posted by Vhayes View Post
                How often do I confess? Whenever the Holy Spirit prompts me, taps me on the shoulder to let me know what I just did or said was wrong. That can be many times a day on some days.
                No, "How often do you ask God to forgive you" is the question. That's different than confess.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: And forgive us our sins…

                  I'm not sure I'm tracing how confession is any different from asking God to forgive...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: And forgive us our sins…

                    Originally posted by Sirus View Post
                    No, "How often do you ask God to forgive you" is the question. That's different than confess.
                    Confession is the acknowledgement of sin! So how can a person NOT seek forgiveness without first confessing the sin... before even asking for God's forgivness? Confession is a fruit of conviction by the Holy Spirit and the bounty is healing and forgivness.
                    Slug1--out

                    ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: And forgive us our sins…

                      Originally posted by Redeemed by Grace View Post
                      Jesus gave the disciples a pattern in approaching God in prayer, for we read within Matthew 6 what we call today the Lord’s prayer.

                      Matthew 6:5-13
                      5 "When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.
                      6 "But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.
                      7 "And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words.
                      8 "So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.
                      9 "Pray, then, in this way:
                      'Our Father who is in heaven,
                      Hallowed be Your name.
                      10 'Your kingdom come.
                      Your will be done,
                      On earth as it is in heaven.
                      11 'Give us this day our daily bread.
                      12 'And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
                      13 'And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. [For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen
                      .'
                      For this thread, we see Jesus telling His disciples to ask God for forgiveness of debts or sins, right after asking God for food for the day, so the question is this: How often do you ask God to forgive you of your sins?
                      I think the idea was to pray for those things daily ("give us this day our daily bread") so I pray for forgiveness daily with the understanding that I have to forgive others in order to be forgiven (Matt 6:14-15).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: And forgive us our sins…

                        Originally posted by RabbiKnife
                        I'll take two if you'll take a check post-dated to May 12, 2011...

                        In God we trust all others pay cash...well at least we say we trust in God....with the way we act sometimes I could begin to doubt.

                        For the cause of Christ
                        Roger

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: And forgive us our sins…

                          Forgiveness was "granted" at the cross. When I confess my sin(s) I am agreeing with God that I did something/thought something that was displeasing to Him and appropriating that forgiveness so that I might be in a steady and strong relationship again.

                          Does that semantically please?
                          V
                          I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
                          - Mahatma Gandhi



                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: And forgive us our sins…

                            Originally posted by RabbiKnife View Post
                            I'm not sure I'm tracing how confession is any different from asking God to forgive...
                            Then it looks like you need to do a word study.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: And forgive us our sins…

                              Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                              Confession is the acknowledgement of sin!
                              ok

                              Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                              So how can a person NOT seek forgiveness without first confessing the sin... before even asking for God's forgivness?
                              I confess when I sin, not seeking forgiveness that has already been given. As a believer I'm not told to ask for forgiveness anywhere in scripture unless I'm at or near apostasy.

                              Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                              Confession is a fruit of conviction by the Holy Spirit
                              ok

                              Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                              and the bounty is healing and forgivness.
                              I already have healing -Mat 13:15, 1Pe 2:24 and "no more conscience of sins" -Heb 10:2

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X