Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Calvinism and Arminianism be reconciled?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Calvinism and Arminianism be reconciled?

Why or why not?
    Yes
    28.21%
    No
    61.54%
    Don't know
    10.26%

Re: Can Calvinism and Arminianism be reconciled?

I voted yes. I am both. Salvation is mystery. It can't be understood by our limited mind. Why try?

Comment

Originally posted by PneumaPsucheSoma View Post
      Why or why not?
      I voted no. I think many of the points in the two systems contradict each other.

E.g.
      Either Christ died for the whole world, or Christ only died for the elect. Christ can't possibly die for the whole world, yet only died for the elect.
      Either a believer has eternal security, or a believer can fall away. A believer can't have security and still fall away.
      Election is either unconditional, or conditional. Election cannot be unconditional yet conditioned on something.
      Either grace is resistible, or irresistible. It can't be irresistible, and yet someone can resist it.

The above four are totally contradictory to each other. I, for now, cannot see any middle ground, until proven wrong of course.
      Tit 3:2 to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.

Comment

Will this be seen from an academic perspective or a practical perspective? Why is there no third option? Are we thinking five pointers or seven pointers and is this in contrast to roman catholics or a specific protestant variation?

For the cause of Christ
        Roger

Comment

Why or why not?
          I don't think so, they both contain doctrines that are opposed to Scripture. If you change the doctrines then you no longer have Calvinism or Arminianism. However, those who hold to these doctrines can be reconciled together if they are willing to forgo the doctrines of men and seek the doctrines of the apostles.

Comment

I'm wondering why I should even care about Calvinism or Arminianism at all.

Seriously. I'm born again. I love my God and have a thirst for righteousness. I have the promise that I have been filled with the Holy Spirit and that he will guide and teach. And I got all of that long before I even heard of either of these guy's. So....Calvin? Arminius? Pshh.

Who needs them?

I've got Jesus.

Put me down for a vote of: I couldn't care less.
            Last edited by BrianW; Sep 24th 2010, 04:45 PM.
            Day by day
            Oh Dear Lord
            Three things I pray
            To see thee more clearly
            Love thee more dearly
            Follow thee more nearly
            Day by day

Comment

I could care less as well.

Just another "ism" to me which is nothing but man making something up to tickle their own ears and anyone else who they can suck in with them.
              Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

The argument is not over "is salvation efficacious," the argument is over "how does it work," which is a fine academic armchair debate to have, but is absolutely meaningless in the real world.

The "debate" has been around long enough that each side by defined various trigger words according to their own definition, so trying to change the definitions is what the debate as devolved into.

I personally have no problem saying that I am eternally secure and that there is the possibility of my committing apostasy, and that paradox does not bother me at all.

Comment

Why or why not?
                  I find myself thinking, "thank God we are not saved by how much we know, but by the One Who knows us." I have Christian friends and family members who are both C and A. The reason these two theological views can never be reconciled is because they are opposed to one another. Both groups are certain they hold the truth, but there is not two truths, there can only be one.

One reason the constant battle continues is because we are Christians, who are passionate about Bible study, and we seek to prove there is value in the study of Scripture from a sincere heart, because it brings us to mature faith and doctrine...or at least it should. Then of course there is another reason, that is because some have spent a lot of time in study, they see themselves as no longer needing to be taught, and become annoyed that anyone would dare question their doctrines. These are more concerned about proving they are right in their understanding, then they are in being shown why their doctrines will not withstand the scrutiny of the whole Bible.

I believe the argument will never be reconciled because each group are Christians who cannot see that sometimes pride has entered in. As long as men have pride, and we all do, this will never be reconciled.

Comment

Originally posted by ThyWordIsTruth View Post
                    I voted no. I think many of the points in the two systems contradict each other.

E.g.
                    Either Christ died for the whole world, or Christ only died for the elect. Christ can't possibly die for the whole world, yet only died for the elect.
                    Either a believer has eternal security, or a believer can fall away. A believer can't have security and still fall away.
                    Election is either unconditional, or conditional. Election cannot be unconditional yet conditioned on something.
                    Either grace is resistible, or irresistible. It can't be irresistible, and yet someone can resist it.

The above four are totally contradictory to each other. I, for now, cannot see any middle ground, until proven wrong of course.
                    I voted no for the same reasons.

Comment

Why or why not?
                      I don't think so, because wouldn't that reconciliation create a third option which would be unable to include every point of the two you're trying to reconcile?

Comment

I voted yes. I believe they both subscribe to the 5 solas so that is where I believe they find agreement.
                        Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1
                          I could care less as well.
                          I think you mean you couldn't care less.
                          To This Day

Comment

A spelling Nazi....Run!

Err...thanks. I edited my screw up after seeing that.
                            Day by day
                            Oh Dear Lord
                            Three things I pray
                            To see thee more clearly
                            Love thee more dearly
                            Follow thee more nearly
                            Day by day

Comment

That's not so much an issue of spelling as much as it is the exact opposite of what he was trying to say.
                              To This Day

Comment

Working...
                              X