Even the demons believe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even the demons believe...

I hear this a lot, but I am not real sure I get it in the context of believing is not enough. I just don't think you can get there from here. Thoughts?
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Re: Even the demons believe...

The demons believe that Jesus Christ is God the son. I would say they actually know it beyond the shadow of a doubt. The difference in my mind is that they have not acknowledged Him AS God of the Universe as well as their lives. It's the difference between head knowledge and heart knowledge.
    I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
    - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

I guess it shows precedence for believing, yet being opposed to God. If the demons can do it, why not people?

Comment

Because the fallen angels were never included in salvation's plan.
        For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Missionary View Post
          I hear this a lot, but I am not real sure I get it in the context of believing is not enough. I just don't think you can get there from here. Thoughts?
          Demons believe because they know (we don't) and yet they don't obey. Typical James using strong language in order to make his point: faith without works is dead, one the main theme's of his letter. Apparently the addressed people needed that message?

Comment

OK, suppose they decide to obey. Then what?

Comment

No, no thoughts..............
              If Satan can keep us busy swinging our swords at one another, there is no hope of a united attack on the kingdom of darkness. KJV, NIV, ESV or ABCDEFG; there is no time to bicker over such things. We'll devour each other if allowed to continue. We should grab the marching orders written in the way we best understand and get to work.

Andrew_no_one

Comment

I'll worry about the theological rammifications of that if it ever happens.

Comment

How do you know it hasn't?

Comment

How do you know it hasn't?
                    Having no insight into any realms beyond the purely physical, I can't say for certain that it hasn't. However, various truths lead me to believe it hasn't. Chiefly, we understand that for whatever purpose angels were created, they are not the same as man, and not for the same purpose as man. Given that angels (fallen or otherwise) are not part of the salvation plan, any choice angels truly had to be united with God was made in the distant past. Also given that we know what's in store for the fallen angels, its safe to assume their fate is already determined.

Comment

They have done the least.

Comment

Originally posted by HisLeast View Post
                        Having no insight into any realms beyond the purely physical, I can't say for certain that it hasn't. However, various truths lead me to believe it hasn't. Chiefly, we understand that for whatever purpose angels were created, they are not the same as man, and not for the same purpose as man. Given that angels (fallen or otherwise) are not part of the salvation plan, any choice angels truly had to be united with God was made in the distant past. Also given that we know what's in store for the fallen angels, its safe to assume their fate is already determined.
                        EXACTLY. That is precisely why I don't get the comparison.

Comment

Let me give it a shot in explaining the value. James is all about testing for genuine faith, for it was written to the 12 tribes who are scattered... so these where real early Christians.

James does not assume salvation as sometimes Paul and Peter does within their writings to the churches, but sets out challenging the 12 tribes with pretty strong instruction for his readers to know truth from fiction throughout his entire letter.

There are many - but if any of you... and... prove yourselves, and... do nots and let nots within the letter -- and when James arrives to Chapter 2, he is showing that there are two types of faith, carnal [or temporal] faith and God-breathed faith.

It becomes more clear past James examples of chapter 2 with Abraham's and Rahab the harlot's faith to showing that real faith is God breathed, for which the demon's lacked.

James 3:15 explains the variance between the two faiths/lifes and verse 17 confirms that the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.

So the demons believed, but their belief wasn't God breathed, yet they knew God, but were not of God in faith. That is what James is trying to convey -- know the metal of your faith and always test to see if it's real or phony. Again, James refrains from open acknowledgment to the faith of his audience, and writes to his readers to challenge them to examine what they believe and why they believe it and that it's the right thing to believe.
                          "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
                          Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
                          ... there are few who find it."

-----------------------------------------------

* All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

The New American Standard Bible®,
                          Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
                          1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
                          Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis

Comment

Originally posted by Vhayes View Post
                            The demons believe that Jesus Christ is God the son. I would say they actually know it beyond the shadow of a doubt. The difference in my mind is that they have not acknowledged Him AS God of the Universe as well as their lives. It's the difference between head knowledge and heart knowledge.
                            Hi V,

I've heard this a lot also, can you explain the difference?

Comment

You probably won't like my answer but, James uses the same word for believe that John does in John 3:16, so the belief they speak of is the same. Why were the demons condemned? It was because they rebelled against God, it was their works that got them condemned. This is the point that James is making in his letter, believing simply is not enough, one must also obey.

Comment

Working...
                              X