Does God have a physical body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does God have a physical body?

What do you think? Does God have a body like ours? If so, is it flesh and bone as the Mormons believe?

Re: Does God have a physical body?

Originally posted by Welder4Christ View Post
    What do you think? Does God have a body like ours? If so, is it flesh and bone as the Mormons believe?
    Mormons? You mean to ask of the Father, dont you?

The Son?
    Luk 24:38 And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
    Luk 24:39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

Jesus is God.

Comment

For the Father:

John 5:37
      "And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape."

God is spirit, but he also has a physical shape/form.
      "physical" not human ofcourse.
      We are his body, We are his representative, We are the extension of God to the earth. Every action should be a extension of God's love.

Comment

What do you think? Does God have a body like ours?
        I don't know. But Jesus said that God is a Spirit.

God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
        (John 4:24)

Comment

In agreement with Nzyr, God is a spirit.

Jn 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in Spirit and in truth.

Firstfruits

Comment

Jesus had a physical body. 1 Cor 15 42:-44 speaks of the ressurection of the dead. They will be raised with a spiritual body. So if we are created in the image of God, then yes, in my opinion I would say God also has a spiritual body.

Philemon 3:21 The NIV translates this verse as follows:
            (Phil 3:21 NIV) who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.

Comment

If God had a physical body and Jesus was with God from the begining then Jesus would not need to put on flesh in order to live with us.

Jn 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Firstfruits

Comment

Take a moment to think of the vast universe that we live in. God breathed it.

The solar system that we live in and all of the others that we know of and all of the others that we don't know of.

The earth itself and its ecosystem and all of the myriad creatures that live upon it.

The complexities of the human body and mind that even with all of the research that has been done still isn't completely understood.

God did that. God is awesome. God is omnipotent. God is the very creator of the space time continuum.

I don't think that the entire wisdom of mankind combined could even grasp the concept of all that he is capable of.

What couldn't he do or have if he wished it?
                Day by day
                Oh Dear Lord
                Three things I pray
                To see thee more clearly
                Love thee more dearly
                Follow thee more nearly
                Day by day

Comment

The Father does not have a physical body.

The Son does have a physical body.

The Spirit does not have a physical body.

Comment

Originally posted by Uriel View Post
                    The Father does not have a physical body.

The Son does have a physical body.

The Spirit does not have a physical body.
                    Knowing that until Jesus came to dwell with us he was with God and therefore as God is, he was spiritual, and now that he has returned to the Father has he then returned to how he was before he came?

Firstfruits

Comment

Originally posted by Firstfruits View Post
                      Knowing that until Jesus came to dwell with us he was with God and therefore as God is, he was spiritual, and now that he has returned to the Father has he then returned to how he was before he came?

Firstfruits
                      The Word before becoming incarnate of the Virgin Mary was spirit. Since the incarnation however, he has remained flesh and blood. The resurreciton was a bodily one and he ate, drank, and had physical interactions with the disciples after he was raised. He ascended into heaven in a body and St Stephen when he was being martyred saw the Lord standing at the right hand of the Father. The Lord Jesus Christ still has a body. The Lord is the frist born of the Resurrection we will all have a body like his in the end. Bodily resurrection is one of the main points of the faith, as declared in the Nicene Creed and Apostles Creed and refered to throughout the New Testament.

Comment

Originally posted by Uriel View Post
                        The Word before becoming incarnate of the Virgin Mary was spirit. Since the incarnation however, he has remained flesh and blood. The resurreciton was a bodily one and he ate, drank, and had physical interactions with the disciples after he was raised. He ascended into heaven in a body and St Stephen when he was being martyred saw the Lord standing at the right hand of the Father. The Lord Jesus Christ still has a body. The Lord is the frist born of the Resurrection we will all have a body like his in the end. Bodily resurrection is one of the main points of the faith, as declared in the Nicene Creed and Apostles Creed and refered to throughout the New Testament.
                        When he arose from the dead and ate with the disciples that was before he had returned to heaven, if Jesus returned to heaven with a physical body does that mean that heaven requires us to be physical? So does God not also require a physical body since Jesus and God share the same throne?

Firstfruits

Comment

When he arose from the dead and ate with the disciples that was before he had returned to heaven, if Jesus returned to heaven with a physical body does that mean that heaven requires us to be physical? So does God not also require a physical body since Jesus and God share the same throne?

Firstfruits
                          It does not require us to be physical or the Father to be physical or the Holy Spirit to be physical. Since Stephen sees the Lord standing at the right hand of the Glory of God, it follows/shows that Jesus is still in a physical body. In Revelation 1 we see John speaking to the Lord and he places his hand on John's shoulder, and that he has hair, eyes, feet, hands, and all physical aspects. From what we see from Acts is that Jesus is at the right hand of God. Since the Father, Son, and Holy Spririt are three persons they do not all require bodies.

Jesus is the frist born of the Resurreciton, heaven is not the final destination, the new earth as spoken of in Revelation is the final destination, where all Christians will have a new resurrected body. Heaven can hold physical bodies, as Holy Writ and the Chruch teaches that Enoch and Elijah both were taken to heaven without dying. Jude speaks of the archangel Michael disputing the devil for the body of Moses, it is assumed that Michael was taking the body to heaven. In heaven we, Christians may or maynot have a body, Revelation shows the matryrs had a body of some sort since he sees a great number of them in robes. But we do know that we will have physical bodies at the Resurrection like Jesus and they will be like Jesus's body is now. It shows the great humbility and scarifice of the Lord to continue to have the body and even more so a body with scars from his Passion. The Church thoughout her history has taught and believed as the Holy Scriptures teach that Jesus has a physical body since his incarnation and Resurrection.

Comment

The new resurrected body that Jesus exhibited was not like the physical body He received at His incarnation. John 20:26 Jesus stood in the midst of the disciples the door being shut. Luke 24:37-43 Jesus states He is not a ghost but He has substance and then He ate fish and honeycomb. The resurrected body of Christ is clearly different from our bodies of flesh and blood.

God the Father has form or shape but not a body like ours. Moses asked to see God in Exo 33:18-23. It is very interesting that when God made man God gave man the form and likeness that God chose.

God being omnipresent would seem to make having a body too constraining. But I am constrained by the limits of my tabernacle of flesh.

For the cause of Christ
                            Roger

Comment

If God had a physical body and Jesus was with God from the begining then Jesus would not need to put on flesh in order to live with us.

Jn 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Firstfruits
                              That's simply not true. He had to come like us. He could not come incorruptible and spiritual. He had to be a man. Many passages speak of this. That's all that passage says. It does not suggest that He did not have a body prior to becoming a natural, corruptible, mortal, man. It says nothing of the sort.

Comment

Working...
                              X