Mordecai.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mordecai.

A Jew is a person of the Tribe of Judah. A Benjamite is a person of the tribe of Benjamin.

How can Mordecai be both or was he lying?

ESTHER 2:5 Now in Shushan the palace there was a certain Jew, whose name was Mordecai, the son of Jair, the son of Shimei, the son of Kish, a Benjamite;

ESTHER 3:4 Now it came to pass, when they spake daily unto him, and he hearkened not unto them, that they told Haman, to see whether Mordecai's matters would stand: for he had told them that he was a Jew.
    Until you've lost all faith in humanity you will be forever blind.

Re: Mordecai.

Judah and Benjamin remained as the southern kingdom. When they were exiled I suspect they were colloquially all called Jews.
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
    Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Comment

Originally posted by teddyv View Post
      Judah and Benjamin remained as the southern kingdom. When they were exiled I suspect they were colloquially all called Jews.
      Colloquially? So he lied then?

Comment

Originally posted by napsnsnacks View Post
        Colloquially? So he lied then?
        No. They all came to be called Jews or Jewish.

Comment

Originally posted by nzyr View Post
          No. They all came to be called Jews or Jewish.
          Then that is an error since Jews are of the tribe of Judah. From the Christian perspective past and future, claiming to be a Jew and actually being a Jew are two different things and should not be confused or misused as this is mentioned in Revelation.

Anyone who claims to be a Jew and isn't really of the tribe of Judah is in a horrific position as we see in Revelation.

Comment

Anyone who claims to be a Jew and isn't really of the tribe of Judah is in a horrific position as we see in Revelation.

Poor Paul then.

Acts 21:39 "Paul replied, “I am a Jew, from Tarsus in Cilicia, a citizen of no obscure city. I beg you, permit me to speak to the people.”
            This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

Originally posted by -SEEKING- View Post

Poor Paul then.

Acts 21:39 "Paul replied, “I am a Jew, from Tarsus in Cilicia, a citizen of no obscure city. I beg you, permit me to speak to the people.”
              To expound on what you shared. Paul fruther stated in his letter to the Philippians how he was a Jew.

Philippians 3

4 although I myself might have confidence even in the flesh. If anyone else has a mind to put confidence in the flesh, I far more:
              5 circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee;
              6 as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless.
              I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
              Have you laid your burdens down?

Comment

Originally posted by TrustingFollower View Post
                To expound on what you shared. Paul fruther stated in his letter to the Philippians how he was a Jew.

Philippians 3

4 although I myself might have confidence even in the flesh. If anyone else has a mind to put confidence in the flesh, I far more:
                5 circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee;
                6 as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless.
                Thanks for the follow-up TF, that makes my comment more complete.
                This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

Originally posted by napsnsnacks
                  Then that is an error since Jews are of the tribe of Judah.
                  The word "Jew" initially referred to those of the tribe of Judah. Its meaning then expanded to refer to anyone who lived in the Southern Kingdom of Judah, regardless of which tribe they were from. Following the Babylonian Exile, the Northern Kingdom of Israel no longer existed, and all Israelites who returned to the Promised Land lived in the rebuilt Southern Kingdom of Judah, so hence, the term "Jew" was applied to all people of Israel.

Don't over-literalize the term.

claiming to be a Jew and actually being a Jew are two different things and should not be confused or misused as this is mentioned in Revelation.
                  No it isn't.

That's not what the Revelation says.
                  To This Day

Comment

Originally posted by -SEEKING- View Post

Poor Paul then.

A Jew is still a Jew regardless of where they are born. There has never been any doubt that Paul was a Jew.

You can't compare your verse to this verse that plainly states that Mordecai was of the tribe of Benjamin:

ESTHER 2:5 Now in Shushan the palace there was a certain Jew, whose name was Mordecai, the son of Jair, the son of Shimei, the son of Kish, a Benjamite;

Your comparison leads on to believe that this "the son of Jair, the son of Shimei, the son of Kish, a Benjamite;" means that Mordecai was born within the borders of Benjamin instead of actually being of the tribe of Benjamin.

Comment

Originally posted by TrustingFollower View Post

Philippians 3

The entire collection of the tribes was known as the "Hebrews" just as they were the "House of Israel but a Jew is a member of the tribe of Judah so you cannot substitute "Hebrews" and "Jews" as being synonymous.

Comment

Originally posted by markedward View Post
                        The word "Jew" initially referred to those of the tribe of Judah. Its meaning then expanded to refer to anyone who lived in the Southern Kingdom of Judah, regardless of which tribe they were from. Following the Babylonian Exile, the Northern Kingdom of Israel no longer existed, and all Israelites who returned to the Promised Land lived in the rebuilt Southern Kingdom of Judah, so hence, the term "Jew" was applied to all people of Israel.

Don't over-literalize the term.

No it isn't.

That's not what the Revelation says.
                        OK then who are these current/future (if they exist then they also do now) devil worshipers passing themselves off as Jews?

REV 2:9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

REV 3:9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

Comment

A Jew is still a Jew regardless of where they are born. There has never been any doubt that Paul was a Jew.

You can't compare your verse to this verse that plainly states that Mordecai was of the tribe of Benjamin:

Your comparison leads on to believe that this "the son of Jair, the son of Shimei, the son of Kish, a Benjamite;" means that Mordecai was born within the borders of Benjamin instead of actually being of the tribe of Benjamin.
                          You just totally contradicted yourself. Paul was of the tribe of Benjamin, yet he called himself a Jew. You said Jews were only from the tribe of Judah. Clearly that's not the case.

Comment

Originally posted by napsnsnacks
                            REV 2:9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.
                            The true Jews are, per Paul's letter to the Romans, the people who have faith in Jesus. The "false Jews" were people who were ethnically Jewish (i.e. Israelites) but were "false" because they did not have faith in Jesus.
                            To This Day

Comment

Mordecai.

A Jew is a person of the Tribe of Judah. A Benjamite is a person of the tribe of Benjamin.

How can Mordecai be both or was he lying?

ESTHER 3:4 Now it came to pass, when they spake daily unto him, and he hearkened not unto them, that they told Haman, to see whether Mordecai's matters would stand: for he had told them that he was a Jew.
                              I'm an American. I'm the son of Leon, the son of Oscar, the son of Columbus, the son of John, the son of Edward, the son of John, who came from Ireland. Does that make me Irish?

Comment

Working...
                              X