No announcement yet.

Not Just Ten commandments!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information Not Just Ten commandments!!!!!

God gathered Israel before him at Mount Sinai to speak to them and give them his commandments statues and judgments, however by the time God had spoken to them the tenth commandment the fear of the people was so strong that they no longer wanted to hear directly from God. Every other commandment was then given to Moses and given to Israel.

Deut 5:22 These words The LORD spake unto all your assembly in The mount out of The midst of The fire, of The cloud, and of The thick darkness, with a great voice: and he added no more. And he wrote Them in two tables of stone, and delivered Them unto me.
    23 And it came to pass, when ye heard the voice out of the midst of the darkness, (for the mountain did burn with fire,) that ye came near unto me, even all the heads of your tribes, and your elders;
    24 And ye said, Behold, the LORD our God hath showed us his glory and his greatness, and we have heard his voice out of the midst of the fire: we have seen this day that God doth talk with man, and he liveth.
    25 Now therefore why should we die? for this great fire will consume us: if we hear the voice of the LORD our God any more, then we shall die.
    26 For who is there of all flesh, that hath heard the voice of the living God speaking out of the midst of the fire, as we have, and lived?
    27 Go thou near, and hear all that the LORD our God shall say: and speak thou unto us all that the LORD our God shall speak unto thee; and we will hear it, and do it.

28 And the LORD heard the voice of your words, when ye spake unto me; and the LORD said unto me, I have heard the voice of the words of this people, which they have spoken unto thee: they have well said all that they have spoken.
    29 O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!
    30 Go say to them, Get you into your tents again.
    31 But as for thee, stand thou here by me, and I will speak unto thee all the commandments, and the statutes, and the judgments, which thou shalt teach them, that they may do them in the land which I give them to possess it.
    32 Ye shall observe to do therefore as the LORD your God hath commanded you: ye shall not turn aside to the right hand or to the left.
    33 Ye shall walk in all the ways which the LORD your God hath commanded you, that ye may live,
    and that it may be well with you, and that ye may prolong your days in the land which ye shall possess.

When God therefore speaks of the law of Moses and obedience to it God is not Just referring to the first ten.

God bless.

Firstfruits

Here's one for you:
    Deuteronomy 31:26 Take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee.
    Notice it says 'side' of the ark? The tablets of stone, containing the ten, were inside the ark, but these were placed on the side of it. God Himself puts a distrinction between them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kahtar View Post
      Here's one for you:
      Deuteronomy 31:26 Take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee.
      Notice it says 'side' of the ark? The tablets of stone, containing the ten, were inside the ark, but these were placed on the side of it. God Himself puts a distrinction between them.
      The ten were the ones spoken directly to Israel and as it is written are the words of the covenant, but that does not diminish the other commandments that God gave because they did not want to hear directly from God.

Firstfruits

Comment

True enough. Nevertheless, God put a disctinction between them.
        And I think that disctinction remains today. The law (ie 10 commandments) is written upon our heart (our innermost part, where the Holy Spirit dwells), while the others are outward.
        And those 10 preceded the others, existing prior to the Mosaic covenant.

Comment

True enough. Nevertheless, God put a disctinction between them.
          And I think that disctinction remains today. The law (ie 10 commandments) is written upon our heart (our innermost part, where the Holy Spirit dwells), while the others are outward.
          And those 10 preceded the others, existing prior to the Mosaic covenant.
          In the following God said that in order for Israel to receive the blessings/benefits they must keep all his commandments, there was not diistinction made.

Deut 28:1 And it shall come to pass, if thou shalt hearken diligently unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe and to do all his commandments which I command thee this day, that the LORD thy God will set thee on high above all nations of the earth:

Deut 28:2 And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God.

31 But as for thee, stand thou here by me, and I will speak unto thee all the commandments, and the statutes, and the judgments, which thou shalt teach them, that they may do them in the land which I give them to possess it.
          32 Ye shall observe to do therefore as the LORD your God hath commanded you: ye shall not turn aside to the right hand or to the left.
          33 Ye shall walk in all the ways which the LORD your God hath commanded you, that ye may live, and that it may be well with you, and that ye may prolong your days in the land which ye shall possess.

Remember that this is after the ten were given.

Firstfruits

Comment

After the ten Commandments!!!

Ex 20:18 And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off.
            Ex 20:19 And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die.
            Ex 20:20 And Moses said unto the people, Fear not: for God is come to prove you, and that his fear may be before your faces, that ye sin not.
            Ex 20:21 And the people stood afar off, and Moses drew near unto the thick darkness where God was.
            Ex 20:22 And the LORD said unto Moses, Thus thou shalt say unto the children of Israel, Ye have seen that I have talked with you from heaven.

It was nor God that said that he would not continue to speak and give Israel his law as he had begun, so if it had not been for the fear that Israel had then the time that Moses had stayed away in the mount being given the rest of the commandments statues and judgments, Israel would have continued to share the experience.

Firstfruits

Comment

Right. The Mosaic covenant INCLUDED the 10 commandments, but the entire covenant was incumbant upon them.
              It is interesting that they refused to stand and hear it from God. I believe God wanted a relationship with all of them, as He had with Moses, but they refused because of their fear, and probably also because of the hardness of their hearts.
              Later on, they even rejected Him as their king, wanting a human king like all the other nations.

Comment

Right. The Mosaic covenant INCLUDED the 10 commandments, but the entire covenant was incumbant upon them.
                It is interesting that they refused to stand and hear it from God. I believe God wanted a relationship with all of them, as He had with Moses, but they refused because of their fear, and probably also because of the hardness of their hearts.
                Later on, they even rejected Him as their king, wanting a human king like all the other nations.
                we have not come to that mountian, we have come to the heavenly jerusalem the one that is free from the law of moses. this is the new covenant. were we have freedom to serve god in the spirit, as jesus is our high preist and mediator NOT MOSES! in this law of moses you speak of the punishment is also included and very specific, you people who want to be under the law of moses never mention this, are you saying that the penalty for disobeying has been abolished? or that christ took our punishment, and we should try a little harder to obey the law? does'nt the bible say that god took away the first to establish the new covenant , we recieved the spirit of god by believing not obeying. the same way the people of isreal were killed in the desert because they did'nt believe. besides god revoked this covenant with isreal and judah. zech 11:10 you see its all about believing not obeying! living by the spirit and producing the fruits of the spirit. that is what you need to be consentrating on and not the law moses. god loves you and wants you to come to him through jesus and not moses. yaza

Comment

yaza, you're sure making alot of assumptions and unwarranted accusations.
                  You seem to have gotten way more out of my post than I put in there!

Comment

Originally posted by Firstfruits View Post
                    The ten were the ones spoken directly to Israel and as it is written are the words of the covenant, but that does not diminish the other commandments that God gave because they did not want to hear directly from God.

Firstfruits
                    Are you saying we are bound to keep the 613?
                    Phl 4:11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.

Comment

Originally posted by SIG View Post
                      Are you saying we are bound to keep the 613?
                      If you are under the law of Moses, then yes, or else where in the ten commandments are the feasts, tithing and all the other things that are done because they are written in the law.

Firstfruits

Comment

This is the situation as I see it:
                        I don’t keep the letter of the law concerning the covenant of Moses, but I do keep the Ten Commandments in the spirit of the law.

I simply don’t feel free to commit murder and adultery and to bear false witness, etc.
                        I don’t for a moment think that any of you do either.

It seems to me that only one commandment might you find objectionable - the Sabbath.
                        I reject the edict of the Pope (c321 AD) (following the Constantine’s pagan-Christian synthesis),
                        and choose to worship on the day of the week which the Father sanctified. (Gen 2:3)

Because of this, it is assumed that I “keep the law of Moses” and thus determined that I am
                        disrespecting God for choosing a day of His choosing (His “Plan-A”),
                        rather than accepting what the rest of society blindly follows as tradition. (Man’s Plan-B)

Some even try to load Sabbath keepers with the added baggage of keeping the
                        600+ Mosaic “how-to” instructions which we have all been freed of.
                        …Including animal offerings – which I take offence to -
                        for the honor of my Lord and Savior who already paid the ultimate horrible price.

So as I see it, it is really only the Sabbath which some find so distasteful.
                        • Thou shalt not kill. OK
                        • Thou shalt not have any other gods before Me. OK
                        • Thou shalt not take My name in vain. OK
                        • Thou shalt remember to keep the Sabbath holy. Note to self: Get rid of this thing!!!
                        • Thou shalt honor thy father and mother. OK
                        • Thou shalt not commit adultery. OK
                        • Thou shalt not steal. OK
                        • Thou shalt not bear false witness. OK
                        • Thou shalt not covet. OK

Comment

Originally posted by Richard H View Post
                          This is the situation as I see it:
                          I don’t keep the letter of the law concerning the covenant of Moses, but I do keep the Ten Commandments in the spirit of the law.

I simply don’t feel free to commit murder and adultery and to bear false witness, etc.
                          I don’t for a moment think that any of you do either.

It seems to me that only one commandment might you find objectionable - the Sabbath.
                          I reject the edict of the Pope (c321 AD) (following the Constantine’s pagan-Christian synthesis),
                          and choose to worship on the day of the week which the Father sanctified. (Gen 2:3)

Because of this, it is assumed that I “keep the law of Moses” and thus determined that I am
                          disrespecting God for choosing a day of His choosing (His “Plan-A”),
                          rather than accepting what the rest of society blindly follows as tradition. (Man’s Plan-B)

Some even try to load Sabbath keepers with the added baggage of keeping the
                          600+ Mosaic “how-to” instructions which we have all been freed of.
                          …Including animal offerings – which I take offence to -
                          for the honor of my Lord and Savior who already paid the ultimate horrible price.

So as I see it, it is really only the Sabbath which some find so distasteful.
                          • Thou shalt not have any other gods before Me. OK
                          • Thou shalt not take My name in vain. OK
                          • Thou shalt remember to keep the Sabbath holy. Note to self: Get rid of this thing!!!
                          • Thou shalt honor thy father and mother. OK
                          • Thou shalt not commit adultery. OK
                          • Thou shalt not steal. OK
                          • Thou shalt not bear false witness. OK
                          • Thou shalt not covet. OK
                          It is clear that God gave more than ten commandments, it was only because of fear that God did not speak all his commandments to Israel. God did not say keep only the first ten but all that he had commanded, so can we pick and choose which commandments we observe?

Deut 5:22 These words The LORD spake unto all your assembly in The mount out of The midst of The fire, of The cloud, and of The thick darkness, with a great voice: and he added no more. And he wrote Them in two tables of stone, and delivered Them unto me.
                          23 And it came to pass, when ye heard the voice out of the midst of the darkness, (for the mountain did burn with fire,) that ye came near unto me, even all the heads of your tribes, and your elders;
                          24 And ye said, Behold, the LORD our God hath showed us his glory and his greatness, and we have heard his voice out of the midst of the fire: we have seen this day that God doth talk with man, and he liveth.
                          25 Now therefore why should we die? for this great fire will consume us: if we hear the voice of the LORD our God any more, then we shall die.
                          26 For who is there of all flesh, that hath heard the voice of the living God speaking out of the midst of the fire, as we have, and lived?
                          27 Go thou near, and hear all that the LORD our God shall say: and speak thou unto us all that the LORD our God shall speak unto thee; and we will hear it, and do it.

28 And the LORD heard the voice of your words, when ye spake unto me; and the LORD said unto me, I have heard the voice of the words of this people, which they have spoken unto thee: they have well said all that they have spoken.
                          29 O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!
                          30 Go say to them, Get you into your tents again.
                          33 Ye shall walk in all the ways which the LORD your God hath commanded you, that ye may live,
                          and that it may be well with you, and that ye may prolong your days in the land which ye shall possess.

With God it was all or nothing.

Deut 11:26 Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse;

Deut 11:27 A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day:

Deut 11:28 And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God, but turn aside out of the way which I command you this day, to go after other gods, which ye have not known.

Deut 28:15 But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:
                          Deut 28:16 Cursed shalt thou be in the city, and Cursed shalt thou be in the field.
                          Deut 28:17 Cursed shall be thy basket and thy store.
                          Deut 28:18 Cursed shall be the fruit of thy body, and the fruit of thy land, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep.
                          Deut 28:19 Cursed shalt thou be when thou comest in, and Cursed shalt thou be when thou goest out.

Firstfruits

Comment

Obeying the law .....

I would love to meet the person who can obey all the law. I've never met an absolutely perfect, totally sinless person before.

The law was given a a schoolmaster to lead mankind to the Savior. No one can keep the law, and anyone who thinks they can is only fooling themselves.

Galatians 3:19-25 tells us the true intent of the law. "Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator. Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one. Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, veriily righteousness should have been by the law. But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Chrsit might be given to them that believe. But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith."

The law was fulfilled by Christ. If we try to live under the law, and we break even one law, we are guilty of breaking them all. (James 2:10) I surely don't want that hanging over my head.

The law declares us to be a sinner by showing us that there is no possible way for us to fulfill the law. "Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. (Romans 3:20).

Praise God that He provided the way for us to live under grace. One difference between living under the law and living under grace is the heart motivation. The believer under grace is motivated to live a holy life by the love of Christ, not the ordinances of the law. If we go back to the Old Testament to find our rules for living, we are placing ourselves back under the law. Paul described this condition in Galatians 5:4 as "fallen from grace."

Many blessings to all.
                            "I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High." Psalm 9:2

Comment

Originally posted by graceforme View Post
                              I would love to meet the person who can obey all the law. I've never met an absolutely perfect, totally sinless person before.

The law was given a a schoolmaster to lead mankind to the Savior. No one can keep the law, and anyone who thinks they can is only fooling themselves.

Galatians 3:19-25 tells us the true intent of the law. "Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator. Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one. Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, veriily righteousness should have been by the law. But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Chrsit might be given to them that believe. But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith."

The law was fulfilled by Christ. If we try to live under the law, and we break even one law, we are guilty of breaking them all. (James 2:10) I surely don't want that hanging over my head.

The law declares us to be a sinner by showing us that there is no possible way for us to fulfill the law. "Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. (Romans 3:20).

Praise God that He provided the way for us to live under grace. One difference between living under the law and living under grace is the heart motivation. The believer under grace is motivated to live a holy life by the love of Christ, not the ordinances of the law. If we go back to the Old Testament to find our rules for living, we are placing ourselves back under the law. Paul described this condition in Galatians 5:4 as "fallen from grace."

Many blessings to all.
                              Thank you Graceforme,

Do the following mean that if we are keeping the Mosaic law that we are not living according to grace?

Rom 9:32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;

Rom 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Firstfruits

Comment

Working...
                              X