Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hypothetical Scenario

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hypothetical Scenario

    A boy at the age of 13 loses his parents to a violent crime and is sent to live with his uncle who is a Christian. His uncle teaches the boy and equips him with sound biblical truth and the boy eventually grows into a strong believer in the Lord and teaches the gospel to hundreds of thousands of people seeing lives changed dramatically.

    Question:

    Did God cause the death of the boy's parents so that the boy would eventually grow into the strong man of God that he was? In a situation like this did God plan for the parents to die a horrible and violent death so that the boy could be used for a greater good?
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

    -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

  • #2
    Re: Hypothetical Scenario

    I believe everything that God does is for the greater good, although it may be impossible to understand this with our limited human intellect.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Hypothetical Scenario

      Hi Vertical - good to "see" you again!

      I don't think God "caused" the death of the parents as much as He used what was intended for evil for the good.

      As I have said before, God knows all things (all that will happen) He just doesn't force all things (that DO happen).
      I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
      - Mahatma Gandhi



      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Hypothetical Scenario

        Originally posted by Fenris View Post
        I believe everything that God does is for the greater good, although it may be impossible to understand this with our limited human intellect.
        Certainly everything that God does is good. However, would God cause the violent death in the scenario above in order to work the good in the boy?
        "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

        -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Hypothetical Scenario

          Originally posted by Vhayes View Post
          Hi Vertical - good to "see" you again!

          I don't think God "caused" the death of the parents as much as He used what was intended for evil for the good.

          As I have said before, God knows all things (all that will happen) He just doesn't force all things (that DO happen).
          Hello, good to "see" you as well.
          "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

          -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Hypothetical Scenario

            Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
            Certainly everything that God does is good. However, would God cause the violent death in the scenario above in order to work the good in the boy?
            I don't pretend to understand God's motives. All we can see is the effect of what He does.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Hypothetical Scenario

              'All things' work toward the good of those who love/are obedient to Him.


              Father bless.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Hypothetical Scenario

                Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
                Certainly everything that God does is good. However, would God cause the violent death in the scenario above in order to work the good in the boy?
                Why not? He caused the death of many... even the entire world once short 8 people so the human race could have a new start. He also allowed satan to pester Job only to glorify Himself through Job in the end. I don't see anything wrong with God allowing the death of parents to glorify Himself through their son who is mentored by the uncle.
                Slug1--out

                ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Hypothetical Scenario

                  Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
                  A boy at the age of 13 loses his parents to a violent crime and is sent to live with his uncle who is a Christian. His uncle teaches the boy and equips him with sound biblical truth and the boy eventually grows into a strong believer in the Lord and teaches the gospel to hundreds of thousands of people seeing lives changed dramatically.

                  Question:

                  Did God cause the death of the boy's parents so that the boy would eventually grow into the strong man of God that he was? In a situation like this did God plan for the parents to die a horrible and violent death so that the boy could be used for a greater good?
                  No God did not cause the death of the parents, however, God can and usually does bring good out of evil. One of my favorite scholars describes God's plans like a GPS direction system. There is a set plan but we can, and I would add often do, go off course and so God reworks the route so that we get to the same place. The example N.T. Wright gives, the scholar referenced above, is that of Israel's exodus. Did God plan for them to spend 40 years wandering in the desert, no, but stuff happened so he made a different route to get them there. Also the plan was for Adam and Eve to live in the garden and not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Once this happened God, reworked the plan and Christ came to redeem us.

                  Human action and evil affect God's plans because he allows us to have free will. It does not mean that God did not foresee it happening or that it was the most direct route that he had planned for us. It just shows that we live in a fallen world and are fallen people. The world would be great and perfect is everyone always did the will of God and did exactly what he told them to do. The reality is that there is evil in the world, people usually don't follow God's will, and a lot of people, including Christians, either don't listen for God, or don't know how to hear from him. Thus, it seems that the God GPS of life is doing a lot of recalculating routes for us.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Hypothetical Scenario

                    Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
                    A boy at the age of 13 loses his parents to a violent crime and is sent to live with his uncle who is a Christian. His uncle teaches the boy and equips him with sound biblical truth and the boy eventually grows into a strong believer in the Lord and teaches the gospel to hundreds of thousands of people seeing lives changed dramatically.

                    Question:

                    Did God cause the death of the boy's parents so that the boy would eventually grow into the strong man of God that he was? In a situation like this did God plan for the parents to die a horrible and violent death so that the boy could be used for a greater good?
                    No. God most definitely did not. The thief comes to Steal, kill, and destroy.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Hypothetical Scenario

                      Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                      Why not? He caused the death of many... the entire world once even short 8 people so the human race could have a new start. He also allowed satan to pester Job only to glorify Himself through Job in the end. I don't see anything wrong with God allowing the death of parents to glorify Himself through their son who is mentored by the uncle.
                      There is a huge difference between the word "allow" and the word "cause."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Hypothetical Scenario

                        Originally posted by MoreMercy View Post
                        'All things' work toward the good of those who love/are obedient to Him.


                        Father bless.
                        The first question that arises from this passage of scripture . . .

                        Does God use all things to work together for good for those who love Him or does God cause all things in order to work together for good?
                        "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

                        -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Hypothetical Scenario

                          Originally posted by Reynolds357 View Post
                          There is a huge difference between the word "allow" and the word "cause."
                          So if God "allows" the death of the parents, does this mean He caused it? To me, the result in the end is God's will. God caused Ananias and his wife to die so I don't see how anyone can say He won't or can't cause someone to die for His ultimate will in the end.
                          Slug1--out

                          ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Hypothetical Scenario

                            Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                            Why not? He caused the death of many... the entire world once even short 8 people so the human race could have a new start.
                            Okay. Let's change that scenario. Let's say the rest of the world at that time wasn't totally wicked. Let's say that many of those outside of the 8 saved were just as they were. What would you think then?

                            He also allowed satan to pester Job only to glorify Himself through Job in the end.
                            Is that the only reason? Do you think, for example, that God would have my Christian wife murdered in order to teach me a greater good?

                            I don't see anything wrong with God allowing the death of parents to glorify Himself through their son who is mentored by the uncle.
                            Okay. Let's add to the scenario then with another realistic example. Let's say that the boy has a brother, and this brother reacts to the death of his parents the exact opposite of his brother. Let's say that this boy totally rejects and despises God from that point forward, and eventually goes on to lead countless people away from God through his research in the field science and physics?
                            "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

                            -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Hypothetical Scenario

                              Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
                              Okay. Let's change that scenario. Let's say the rest of the world at that time wasn't totally wicked. Let's say that many of those outside of the 8 saved were just as they were. What would you think then?



                              Is that the only reason? Do you think, for example, that God would have my Christian wife murdered in order to teach me a greater good?



                              Okay. Let's add to the scenario then with another realistic example. Let's say that the boy has a brother, and this brother reacts to the death of his parents the exact opposite of his brother. Let's say that this boy totally rejects and despises God from that point forward, and eventually goes on to lead countless people away from God through his research in the field science and physics?
                              We can "let's add" this to death and you will be the cause of this threads end
                              Slug1--out

                              ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X