• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swearing oaths?

Ought a follower of Christ swear oaths?

Why, or why not?

Scripture?
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
    ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......
    ....Live your life the same way.... ~ *

Please pray for the 'Persecuted Church'.

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Re: Swearing oaths?

Originally posted by Amos_with_goats View Post
    Not with Jews, apparently

Comment

How about that scripture let your yes be yes and your no be no. I gotta look it up. But it says something to the effect of NOT taking an oath.
      This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

It is interesting that the US Military specifically rejected the idea of the 'Oath of enlistment'. It was deemed to be a violation (and the option of 'affirming' the precept added) to avoid violation of individual beliefs.
        * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
        ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Comment

Originally posted by -SEEKING- View Post
          How about that scripture let your yes be yes and your no be no. I gotta look it up. But it says something to the effect of NOT taking an oath.
          Matthew 5:33-37
          “Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.’ But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God’s throne; nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black. But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one.
          "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Fenris View Post
            Not with Jews, apparently

Tried to rep you for that one.

As for oaths, the answer is: it depends. Jesus and James warned of taking oaths; however, Paul places himself under oath multiple times in his epistles. The commandment on taking oaths is to not use "the name of the Lord thy God in vain", meaning any oath taken should be kept.

Of course, nothing is probably completely absolute. Consider the case of Jepthah and his daughter. Which is worse: breaking an oath or setting your daughter on fire?
            If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. - John 8:36

Comment

Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
              Matthew 5:33-37
              “Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.’ But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God’s throne; nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black. But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one.
              Thank you VerticalReality. Saved me some time.
              This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

Honestly I swear........oops

Comment

For those who would indicate that taking an oath is wrong, is it then wrong for a Christian who is elected president to say the oath of office?

Comment

Originally posted by GitRDunn View Post
                    For those who would indicate that taking an oath is wrong, is it then wrong for a Christian who is elected president to say the oath of office?
                    Interesting question.

Each president recites the following oath, in accordance with Article II, Section I of the U.S. Constitution:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."
                    see post #4.

Comment

If elected I would take the oath of office.

For the cause of Christ
                      Roger

Comment

Originally posted by notuptome View Post
                        If elected I would take the oath of office.

For the cause of Christ
                        Roger
                        Thats good to know Roger.

I would vote for you.

Comment

Why, or why not?

Scripture?
                          Since it has already been mentioned about letting our yes be yes and our no be no...I'll add this:

2Cr 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Often this is used only in the context of marriage. But, I think this goes well beyond the marriage vow. In any situation where we are aligning ourselves with a person or group, we are being yoked to them. What does "yoked" mean? Two animals yoked together must move in one direction in unison. If we join with a business partner, we must move in one direction in unison with them. If we join a club or fraternity or social organization, we are agreeing to move in step with them. Thus, we become yoked to them. Who are we getting yoked to? Believers or nonbelievers? Can we be yoked to unbelievers and make them walk in our step? Or, will we find our Christian walk adversely affected by having to adjust our walk to fit those unbelievers we are yoked to?

How does this apply to swearing oaths? Good question. Is the oath simply a declaration that our word is truth before God? There is no yoking. Is the oath a promise to uphold the beliefs and practices of the person/organization? This is a yoking. If I wish to join a knitting guild and that guild requires me to swear an oath to adhere to their practices and beliefs and those practices and beliefs are not inline with my faith--then to swear that oath is against biblical principles because it yokes me to nonbelievers.
                          My Blog
                          Pentecostal Distinctives
                          Easter minus the Bunny, Eggs, and Chocolate
                          Pentecost: the Forgotten Holy Day
                          Pentecostal Emotionalism or Worship?
                          Baptism in the Holy Spirit
                          Christians and Vegetarianism/Veganism

Comment

Thats good to know Roger.

I would vote for you.
                            I'll only need another 20 or 30 million more. Not to mention a half a billion dollars. Ouch. I do have one specific qualification for my voters though, you gotta' be born again or you cain't vote for me.

For the cause of Christ
                            Roger

Comment

Originally posted by GitRDunn View Post
                              Saying "I promise" to do something is sketchy enough but taking an oath swearing to your own head... by heaven... in God's name... etc. That is in direct opposition to the teaching of Christ. VR already provided the Scripture for this... here it is again.

Matthew 5:33 ¶"Again, you have heard that the ancients were told, `YOU SHALL NOT MAKE FALSE VOWS, BUT SHALL FULFILL YOUR VOWS TO THE LORD.´
                              34 "But I say to you, make no oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God,
                              35 or by the earth, for it is the footstool of His feet, or by Jerusalem, for it is THE CITY OF THE GREAT KING.
                              36 "Nor shall you make an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black.
                              37 "But let your statement be, `Yes, yes´ or `No, no´; and anything beyond these is of evil.

Now... if you are going to take the teaching of Jesus as something you, a Christian, should follow... then how can the answer be anything but "NO?" And office, military, whatever... it says what it says and Jesus said it. Who do we, as Christians, follow?

Visit our new website
                              ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
                              "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Working...
                              X