Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bible/Translation for 14 year old Daughter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bible/Translation for 14 year old Daughter?

Can anyone recommend a great Bible/Translation for my 14 year old daughter?

Looking for something easy to read so she will find it easy to understand the Word of God.

Thank you for any help.

TripleB

Re: Bible/Translation for 14 year old Daughter?

Originally posted by TripleB View Post

Looking for something easy to understand so she will find it easy to follow the Word of God.

Thank you for any help.
    TripleB
    NKJV should be good for a 14 year old. It still has the structure of the KJV, but it is updated and more readable.

Comment

My kids really enjoy and understand the NIV. Give it a shot. You could always show her several versions online and see which one she likes best.
      This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

Originally posted by TripleB View Post

Looking for something easy to read so she will find it easy to understand the Word of God.

Thank you for any help.

TripleB
        Hard to recommend one without knowing more about her. She might find something more colloquial like the NLT or CEV to her liking but then if she wants to get into a deeper study she'll want a more formal version. She might find the NKJV easy to read, but then she might prefer something more colloquial.

I'd second the advice to let her see a few and choose for herself.
        24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
        I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
        I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

---

1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
        1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.

Comment

A fourteen year old is pretty comfortable around a computer. Get her to use the Bible that you are most comfortable with. (makes for easier discussion on your part). Show her BibleGateway, and let her browse the translations that you recommend, with the recommendations your receive in the thread.

She'll be able to search several translations without purchasing one then finding out later there's another translation that would have been better.

It'll also introduce her to good study habits.
          Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.

Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Originally posted by -SEEKING- View Post
            My kids really enjoy and understand the NIV. Give it a shot. You could always show her several versions online and see which one she likes best.
            I tend to recommend the NIV even to adults, as a translation that's both readable and accurate.

If she finds the NIV too hard, the CEV is less accurate, but more readable, and is often recommended for children.

Follow the links to BibleGateway to explore other versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Radagast View Post
              I tend to recommend the NIV even to adults, as a translation that's both readable and accurate.

If she finds the NIV too hard, the CEV is less accurate, but more readable, and is often recommended for children.

Follow the links to BibleGateway to explore other versions.

I know this is my preference and it's - ahem - a while since I was 14, but I personally find the CEV harder to read as it just seems too lightweight.
              24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
              I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
              I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

---

1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
              1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.

Comment

As a father to a couple of teenagers I would recommend either the ESV, HCSB, or NASU. all are very readable and easily understandable. The NASU is the most accurate translation followed very closely by the ESV. One thing to consider is whether you want to get your child a study bible or not. If you are thinking along the lines of a study bible then hands down I say get the ESV. I have one of these and is by far the best study bible I have seen come along. Below is a link for the ESV study bible so you can look at what I am taking about.

http://www.esvstudybible.org/
                I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
                Have you laid your burdens down?

Comment

Originally posted by TrustingFollower View Post
                  The NASU is the most accurate translation followed very closely by the ESV.
                  Comparing English translations to the Greek, I find the NIV and ESV to be the most accurate.

Comment

Working...
                  X