What is the pure sacrifice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the pure sacrifice?

Jesus said, “The bread that I will give you is my flesh” (John 6:51); and further stated that, “unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood, you will not have life within you” (John 6:53). Then at the Last Supper, He made an offering of His sacrificial body and blood by the following acts. He thanked His Father, took bread, broke it and gave it to His disciples to eat, and said, “This is my (sacrificial) body”; and then took the cup and gave it them to drink and said, “This is my (sacrificial) blood”. (Matthew 26:26-29). He then commanded us do this (re-enter his sacrificial offering) as often as possible so that we will keep His Spirit alive in our heart (Luke 22:19); and make His eternal sacrifice ever-present to the World (1 Corinthians 11:26). Therefore, when ever the Lord’s Supper is celebrated, it fulfills Malachi’s prophesy (Malachi 1:11) which stated that, from the rising of the sun to its setting, in every place a pure sacrifice will be offered to God. Paul emphasizes the reality of Jesus’ presence in the bread and wine at the Lord’s Supper by stating that, those who eats the bread and drink the cup of the Lord unworthily are guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord (Corinthians 11:27).

Re: What is the pure sacrifice?

When I found out what Christ's perfect/pure obedience was unto, then I found out what pure sacrifice was to be also for me unto Father.

Father does no longer desire sacrifice from us, He desires our love of Him, and our love of our fellow man, amen.
    That is my pure sacrifice now, learn children and let that be all of our: pure sacrifices unto Him.

Father blesses.

Comment

Originally posted by MoreMercy View Post
      Father does no longer desire sacrifice from us, He desires our love of Him, and our love of our fellow man, amen.
      That is my pure sacrifice now, learn children and let that be all of our: pure sacrifices unto Him.

I think the OP is specifically referring to the sacrifice of the Eucharist. The Passion and death of the Lord are made present in the Eucharistic elements under the form of bread and wine, memorializing Christ's sacrifice for us.
      If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. - John 8:36

Comment

Originally posted by arunangelo View Post
        Jesus said, “The bread that I will give you is my flesh” (John 6:51); and further stated that, “unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood, you will not have life within you” (John 6:53). Then at the Last Supper, He made an offering of His sacrificial body and blood by the following acts. He thanked His Father, took bread, broke it and gave it to His disciples to eat, and said, “This is my (sacrificial) body”; and then took the cup and gave it them to drink and said, “This is my (sacrificial) blood”. (Matthew 26:26-29). He then commanded us do this (re-enter his sacrificial offering) as often as possible so that we will keep His Spirit alive in our heart (Luke 22:19); and make His eternal sacrifice ever-present to the World (1 Corinthians 11:26). Therefore, when ever the Lord’s Supper is celebrated, it fulfills Malachi’s prophesy (Malachi 1:11) which stated that, from the rising of the sun to its setting, in every place a pure sacrifice will be offered to God. Paul emphasizes the reality of Jesus’ presence in the bread and wine at the Lord’s Supper by stating that, those who eats the bread and drink the cup of the Lord unworthily are guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord (Corinthians 11:27).
        Communion is taken in remembrance of the what Jesus Christ did.
        1 Corinthians 11:24-"And when He had given thanks, He brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is My body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of Me."
        There is nothing in the bread and wine that does anything to the partaker.
        When Paul said:
        1 Corinthians 11: 27-29-"Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body."

What Christ did for us was die for our sins. It is not to be taken lightly when we have communion, we are to remember what Christ did for us and take it with a pure heart by confessing our sins. Those who take it without thought or consideration of all that was done for them, take it unworthily.

I don't understand how Malachi 1:11 has anything do do with communion today. Could you explain?
        .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
        .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Comment

Originally posted by karenoka27 View Post
          There is nothing in the bread and wine that does anything to the partaker.
          I have to disagree on this point. I believe that a grace is transferred, as this seems quite explicit in the words of Christ himself in the Gospel of John, as well as the Pauline writings on Eucharistic theology.

Comment

Originally posted by Knight Templar View Post
            I have to disagree on this point. I believe that a grace is transferred, as this seems quite explicit in the words of Christ himself in the Gospel of John, as well as the Pauline writings on Eucharistic theology.
            Gods grace is received through faith which comes through hearing the word of God. Catholic theology of receiveing grace through the communion elements is wholly against the word of God. The inference (original OP) that the Holy Spirit dies in the heart of him who does not receive the elements of the communion is wrong.

Catholics teach that grace is received through the seven sacraments. This is works based salvation and wholly opposed to Gods plan of salvation by grace through faith apart from works. Those who depend on anything other than Christ for their salvation are on the road that leads to destruction.

For the cause of Christ
            Roger

Comment

Originally posted by notuptome View Post
              Gods grace is received through faith which comes through hearing the word of God. Catholic theology of receiveing grace through the communion elements is wholly against the word of God.
              It's not just a Roman Catholic doctrine. It was held by the Reformers as well, and has multiple scriptural bases.

Comment

It's not just a Roman Catholic doctrine. It was held by the Reformers as well, and has multiple scriptural bases.
                Nothing in scripture supports the idea that grace is received by anything other than faith and that faith through the hearing of the word of God.

The reformers were trying to escape the oppression of rome. The rcc has a long history of holding its adherents hostage by teaching that the "church" is the vehicle through which grace is given to men. Those who have come to Christ are free from serving the rudiments of men. Free to worship Christ our Redeemer in Spirit and truth.

Heb 10:9-14 describes Christ's sacrifice of Himself for the redemption of men. Verses 28-31 stand in stark warning to rome.

For the cause of Christ
                Roger

Comment

Nothing in scripture supports the idea that grace is received by anything other than faith and that faith through the hearing of the word of God.
                  One cannot divorce the eucharistic celebration from faith. The scriptures are extremely plain in this regard, as well as the grace bestowed on the communicant (even pointing out that damnation is the end for misuse).

Comment

One cannot divorce the eucharistic celebration from faith. The scriptures are extremely plain in this regard, as well as the grace bestowed on the communicant (even pointing out that damnation is the end for misuse).
                    The misuse as you put it is unsaved persons partaking thinking through this observance they will receive favor from God. The communion observance is not necessary for salvation. Like water baptism communion is for born again believers but has no direct influence on their salvation.

For the cause of Christ
                    Roger

Comment

The misuse as you put it is unsaved persons partaking thinking through this observance they will receive favor from God. The communion observance is not necessary for salvation. Like water baptism communion is for born again believers but has no direct influence on their salvation.
                      While from a theological perspective, the celebrating of the Eucharist is not necessary for salvation, it forms the basis of Christian worship, inasmuch as it is communion with Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Concerning baptism, we read in Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. God has linked salvation together with baptism, that we must be born of water and the Spirit. However, even though the Lord ordained the sacraments for salvific grace, He himself is not limited by them.

Comment

You talk as though grace was a kind of gravy to be poured out of a gravy bowl. But the grace of God is describing God's attitude towards us. It is not something that occurs of itself. When we partake of the bread and wine god acts in grace towards us and blesses us. I am sure we can agree on that. But there is no 'grace' in the elements. The meal is one at which the Father and Jesus Christ are present. And it is they Who act graciously in our hearts along with the Holy Spirit.

When Paul says 'by grace are you saved' (Ephesians 2.8) he was not saying that there was a something called grace. He was speaking of our Saviour acting through His grace, i.e. His undeserved love and compassion.

Comment

While from a theological perspective, the celebrating of the Eucharist is not necessary for salvation, it forms the basis of Christian worship, inasmuch as it is communion with Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Concerning baptism, we read in Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. God has linked salvation together with baptism, that we must be born of water and the Spirit. However, even though the Lord ordained the sacraments for salvific grace, He himself is not limited by them.
                          Happily we can agree on your first point. It might have been different if u had expanded on it lol :-))

You cannot really take one verse in a doubtful passage (Mark 16.16) and make it the dogmatic answer to the question of the necessity of baptism. And besides you will note that Jesus only said that those who did not believe are condemned. He did not say it of those who were not baptised. Thus his emphasis in the statement was on believing or not believing. Baptism was mentioned because it was simply expected that someone who believed would be baptised.

Paul put it in its correct place. 'Christ did not send me to baptise but to preach the Gospel. for the preaching of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to those who are being saved it is the power of God.' (1 Corinthians 1.17-18) He too lays the emphasis away from baptism. Of course we should be baptised. However many Quakers and Salvationists were never baptised, but it would be a brave man who denied, especially in the second case, that those highly successful preachers of the Gospel were not saved.

Comment

Originally posted by petepet View Post
                            He did not say it of those who were not baptised. Thus his emphasis in the statement was on believing or not believing. Baptism was mentioned because it was simply expected that someone who believed would be baptised.
                            You say this as though it was mentioned in an offhanded way, almost as an afterthought. However, it wasn't, and the Apostle Peter confirms we are "saved by water", not by the physical act of getting dunked, but again, by grace of God who works through the sacrament. I fail to see how that is analogous to pouring gravy.

Comment

We already received God's grace, he sent His Son to die for our sins. Scripture does not teach that we receive His grace once we take communion, it has a symbolic meaning; but it contributes nothing towards our salvation.

Comment

Working...
                              X