Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it mean to do things "In the Spirit"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does it mean to do things "In the Spirit"?

at the church i attend, they push praying in the Spirit. For them, paying in the Spirit means speaking in ecstatic tongues (which i do not believe in which is why i am leaving). i don't look down on anyone who believes in this but my real question is this: other than praying in the Spirit, what else should we do in the Spirit and what exactly does this mean? Do you beleive praying in the Spirit means speaking in tongues? scripture references please

Re: What does it mean to do things "In the Spirit"?

You do not have to pray in tongues to experience the spirit.The Holy spirit guides us in our daily lives.He will grieve you if you are in a wrong situation,he will aide you in your prayers,and let you know what you need to do.I hope you find a church that teaches the truth.GOD bless
    Praising GOD for his mercy and grace!!

Comment

Originally posted by sofy View Post
      at the church i attend, they push praying in the Spirit. For them, paying in the Spirit means speaking in ecstatic tongues (which i do not believe in which is why i am leaving). i don't look down on anyone who believes in this but my real question is this: other than praying in the Spirit, what else should we do in the Spirit and what exactly does this mean? Do you beleive praying in the Spirit means speaking in tongues? scripture references please
      Out of curiosity... How long did you go to this church?

Visit our new website
      ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
      "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Although we should all have the same spirit, we do not all receive the same gifts.

1 Cor 12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.

1 Cor 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

1 Cor 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

1 Cor 12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

1 Cor 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

1 Cor 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

1 Cor 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

1 Cor 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

God bless!

Firstfruits

Comment

Tongues is one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Pray in the spirit is written in Eph 6:18 (NIV Version), but in the KJV it reads, Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the spirit.

Prayer = G4335. proseuche, pros-yoo-khay'; from G4336; prayer (worship); by impl. an oratory (chapel):--X pray earnestly, prayer.

Supplication = G1162. deesis, deh'-ay-sis; from G1189; a petition:--prayer, request, supplication.

So we pray earnestly to God with our petitions and prayer requests.

in the spirit. Some people take this to mean - as waiting on God or as lead by the Holy Spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
            Out of curiosity... How long did you go to this church?
            for about 8 years. Slowly but surely, God has been opening my eyes to certain things

Comment

I look at Rom 8:26 and see the Holy Spirit aiding our prayers when we cannot express to the Lord the burden on our heart. I believe that the Lord knows what is on our hearts when we cannot express it. I do not believe that the early church and the apostles ever spoke in ecstatic utterances but spoke in known languages to facilitate communication with the listeners. Peter at pentacost is a prime example.

Of what possible benefit is it to pray in a language you cannot understand? Is there a language the Lord cannot understand? I have never spoken to my earthly father is an unknown language except when I was young and had not developed language skills.

For the cause of Christ
              Roger

Comment

for about 8 years. Slowly but surely, God has been opening my eyes to certain things
                I see.

Visit our new website
                ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
                "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
                  I see.
                  More slowly opening eyes?

For the cause of Christ
                  Roger

Comment

Originally posted by notuptome View Post
                    More slowly opening eyes?

For the cause of Christ
                    Roger
                    Uh... no. More curious.

Visit our new website

A.W. Tozer said,

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Of what possible benefit is it to pray in a language you cannot understand?
                      Scripture covers this clearly Roger and it is of great benefit. Let's look at the scripture(s):

1 Cor 14:2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

Then the scripture go further and explain the benefit:

1 Cor 14:4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.

So, praying in tongues which cannot be understood, it's for the person's edification. Their spirit is being empowered by the Holy Spirit to talk directly to God. In the flesh there is no need for understanding because it's on a spiritual level, not any physical level nor emotional. They are edified on a spiritual level.

Is there a language the Lord cannot understand?
                      No

I have never spoken to my earthly father is an unknown language except when I was young and had not developed language skills.
                      Why make a comment that belittles those who speak in tongues? Are you comparing them to or saying that they are infants?
                      Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

No you do not have to pray in tongues to pray in the Spirit. Praying in the Spirit can be in tongues but not limited to tongues.

Stand by, let me look up some scripture. Roger already brought out a good one concerning the Holy Spirit making groanings for us as we can't even utter what's in our heart. So the Holy Spirit prays for us.

Edit...

1 John 5:14 Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. 15 And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.

So... how do we KNOW what is according to God's will? Well, praying with faith is God's will for us. Also praying fervently is God's will for us. How about in supplication, intercession, and thanks? All this is God's will as well which can only be know by what? By the Holy Spirit... so to do all this, you are listening to the Holy Spirit and thus, praying in the Spirit.

James 5:15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Confess your trespasses[a] to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

1 Timothy 2: 1 Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,

will continue later...
                        Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                          Scripture covers this clearly Roger and it is of great benefit. Let's look at the scripture(s):

1 Cor 14:2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

Then the scripture go further and explain the benefit:

1 Cor 14:4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.

So, praying in tongues which cannot be understood, it's for the person's edification. Their spirit is being empowered by the Holy Spirit to talk directly to God. In the flesh there is no need for understanding because it's on a spiritual level, not any physical level nor emotional. They are edified on a spiritual level.
                          What does it mean to be edified? Especially edified on a spiritual level that you cannot comprehend?
                          Why make a comment that belittles those who speak in tongues? Are you comparing them to or saying that they are infants?
                          Isn't that what Paul said in verse 13 of the previous chapter?

For the cause of Christ
                          Roger

Comment

What does it mean to be edified? Especially edified on a spiritual level that you cannot comprehend?
                            Experience it and know... I don't know, I don't pray in tongues. All I have is scripture that TELLS ME it is to edify those who pray in tongues. If you want to doubt scripture, do so... not my problem.
                            Slug1--out

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                              Experience it and know... I don't know, I don't pray in tongues. All I have is scripture that TELLS ME it is to edify those who pray in tongues. If you want to doubt scripture, do so... not my problem.
                              It is prophecy that edifies not tongues. You believe this, praying in tongues, but you don't know what it is? Scripture does not tell you to edify those who speak in tongues which you seem unable to define anyhow. Prophecy is the preaching of Gods word and this is what edifies the believer in the church. The mysteries spoken of are those things in the OT revealed as shadows that should be fulfilled in Christ. These things are now written in the word of God, NT, and made manifest for all. When the apostles spoke in tongues they spoke in human languages as Peter evidenced at pentacost. Tongues were never seen as ecstatic utterances but languages that at least one in the crowd understood and could interpret. Those who were prophets preached the word of God and taught the revealed mysteries that men should learn of Christ and His saving grace.

For the cause of Christ
                              Roger

Comment

Working...
                              X