Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

unicorns in the bible..depending on translation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unicorns in the bible..depending on translation?

Soooo what is your take on this:

Job 39:9-12 (King James Version)

9 Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?

10 Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?

11 Wilt thou trust him, because his strength is great? or wilt thou leave thy labour to him?

12 Wilt thou believe him, that he will bring home thy seed, and gather it into thy barn?

Psalm 29:6 (King James Version)

6He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.

Isaiah 34:7 (King James Version)

7 And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness.

From Answers in Genesis:

However, the linguistics of the text cannot conclusively prove how many horns the biblical unicorn had. While modern translations typically translate re’em as “wild ox,” the King James Version (1611), Luther’s German Bible (1534), the Septuagint, and the Latin Vulgate translated this Hebrew word with words meaning “one-horned animal.” 13

The importance of the biblical unicorn is not so much its specific identity—much as we would like to know—but its reality. The Bible is clearly describing a real animal. The unicorn mentioned in the Bible was a powerful animal possessing one or two strong horns—not the fantasy animal that has been popularized in movies and books. Whatever it was, it is now likely extinct like many other animals. To think of the biblical unicorn as a fantasy animal is to demean God’s Word, which is true in every detail.

In the New King James version it calls them wild oxen:

Isaiah 34:7 (New King James Version)

7 The wild oxen shall come down with them,
    And the young bulls with the mighty bulls;
    Their land shall be soaked with blood,
    And their dust saturated with fatness.”

Job 39:9-12 (New King James Version)

9 “Will the wild ox be willing to serve you?
    Will he bed by your manger?

10 Can you bind the wild ox in the furrow with ropes?
    Or will he plow the valleys behind you?

11 Will you trust him because his strength is great?
    Or will you leave your labor to him?

12 Will you trust him to bring home your grain,
    And gather it to your threshing floor?

Psalm 29:6 (New King James Version)

6 He makes them also skip like a calf,
    Lebanon and Sirion like a young wild ox.

So what do you think?

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Re: unicorns in the bible..depending on translation?

I'd probably defer to the scholars on this, not that it's something I lose sleep over. If it truly was a one horned animal, possibly a rhino? But I don't know if rhinos ever populated that part of the world.
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
    Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Comment

Maybe it's a narwhal.

Comment

Originally posted by crawfish View Post
        Maybe it's a narwhal.
        Before they returned to the sea?

(Great, now I have the Narwhal song from Weebl in my head.)
        Last edited by teddyv; Nov 19th 2010, 07:59 PM. Reason: typo
        Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
        Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Comment

Originally posted by crawfish View Post
          Maybe it's a narwhal.
          Yea when they still had legs that is...

God bless
          "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

Who knows all the things GOD has created?What about the leviathon?I like to say if GOD says there are unicorns,then there are unicorns-nothing is impossible with GOD.
            Praising GOD for his mercy and grace!!

Comment

It may be the aurochs. Which is believed to be the wild ancestors of our domestic cattle. They were larger and wilder than the domestic cattle of today. Or maybe it's the rhinoceros.

Comment

Another metaphore perhaps

There seem to be quite a few in the Bible.

Comment

Originally posted by moonglow View Post
                  Soooo what is your take on this:

Job 39:9-12 (King James Version)

9 Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?

10 Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?

11 Wilt thou trust him, because his strength is great? or wilt thou leave thy labour to him?

12 Wilt thou believe him, that he will bring home thy seed, and gather it into thy barn?

Psalm 29:6 (King James Version)

6He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.

Isaiah 34:7 (King James Version)

7 And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness.

From Answers in Genesis:

However, the linguistics of the text cannot conclusively prove how many horns the biblical unicorn had. While modern translations typically translate re’em as “wild ox,” the King James Version (1611), Luther’s German Bible (1534), the Septuagint, and the Latin Vulgate translated this Hebrew word with words meaning “one-horned animal.” 13

The importance of the biblical unicorn is not so much its specific identity—much as we would like to know—but its reality. The Bible is clearly describing a real animal. The unicorn mentioned in the Bible was a powerful animal possessing one or two strong horns—not the fantasy animal that has been popularized in movies and books. Whatever it was, it is now likely extinct like many other animals. To think of the biblical unicorn as a fantasy animal is to demean God’s Word, which is true in every detail.

In the New King James version it calls them wild oxen:

Isaiah 34:7 (New King James Version)

7 The wild oxen shall come down with them,
                  And the young bulls with the mighty bulls;
                  Their land shall be soaked with blood,
                  And their dust saturated with fatness.”

Job 39:9-12 (New King James Version)

9 “Will the wild ox be willing to serve you?
                  Will he bed by your manger?

10 Can you bind the wild ox in the furrow with ropes?
                  Or will he plow the valleys behind you?

11 Will you trust him because his strength is great?
                  Or will you leave your labor to him?

12 Will you trust him to bring home your grain,
                  And gather it to your threshing floor?

Psalm 29:6 (New King James Version)

6 He makes them also skip like a calf,
                  Lebanon and Sirion like a young wild ox.

So what do you think?

God bless
                  I don't know for sure, but perhaps it is something to do with translation? The other possibilities as I see it are either that it is not meant to be a literal unicorn or it could be referencing the animal that is believed to be the source of many unicorn myths. The origin of the myths is believed to be, at least partly, due to deer with just a single horn in the center of their heads (here is a link to a story with a picture of one)

Comment

All my translations show "Re'im" as "wild ox".

Comment

The long lost verses... (with apologies to Gary Larson)

Gen 7:25-28 And Noah didst descend into the midst of the animals, and there he didst find the remains of the unicorns. (26) And Noah didst beat upon his breast at the demise of these beautiful creatures, yea, (27) and Noah didst thereafter confine all carnivores to C deck. (28) And with great mourning didst Noah dump the remains of the unicorns over the side.
                      24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
                      I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
                      I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

---

1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
                      1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.

Comment

Originally posted by tango View Post
                        The long lost verses... (with apologies to Gary Larson)

Gen 7:25-28 And Noah didst descend into the midst of the animals, and there he didst find the remains of the unicorns. (26) And Noah didst beat upon his breast at the demise of these beautiful creatures, yea, (27) and Noah didst thereafter confine all carnivores to C deck. (28) And with great mourning didst Noah dump the remains of the unicorns over the side.
                        It must be true cause there is a song even about it...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.

My sister and I use to listen to this song over and over when we were kids and were convicted it was true...

Comment

Originally posted by Fenris View Post
                          All my translations show "Re'im" as "wild ox".
                          Yep.

And the ancient Arabic translation is Antelope.

Comment

Originally posted by ignis View Post
                            Yep.

And the ancient Arabic translation is Antelope.
                            I did not know that. very interesting.

Comment

I really do not find it hard to believe that unicorns existed at one time.

Comment

Working...
                              X