What Makes Revival A Revival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Makes Revival A Revival

This is a word that is often used when there is a special week long service and a church invites an evangelist in and they come preach some fired up message and everyone tries to get folks to visit the "revival" at their church that week.

Then there is the meeting that was extended such as we saw at Brownsville and now in Mobile Alabama at this "Bay of the Holy Spirit Revival." Many look at the healing of Delia Knox and say... "what a powerful revival" but then does healing constitute a revival? I'd say no... not at all. In fact... while I think it well a good service down there in Mobile and I've listened to several of them via the Internet and when the preacher preaches... he's got a good message... but still nothing I see there which makes me say, "now that's a Revival!"

So what is it that makes revival for real? How do you know when there is a true revival and I am talking a "no doubt" revival.

Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Re: What Makes Revival A Revival

IMHO,

Revival: Man on his face before the Cross... repentance.. and then GETTING UP and doing greater things. (healing optional).
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
    ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......
    ....Live your life the same way.... ~ *

Please pray for the 'Persecuted Church'.

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Comment

I have one word for you when I think of revival. It's something that is sustained over many many years and should one go back they would still see the fruits of the Godly visitation year after.

The problem with Brownsville is that the church is the opposite. More homelessness, more crime and more businesses closed than ever. And the church that says they were in revival, is struggling in debt, inward focused and their services are all about patting each other on the back saying "look how good we are and look how our names are written in history". Well, the book of life is what I am concerned about and whether God will be saying to them "Great is your reward" or "Go away I know you not".

It isn't just healing although that's part of it, it isn;t only salivations, although that is part of it, it isn't church growth, although that is part of it. It's all about Godly repentance by the "church" and a desire to see the world come to Jesus before its too late. It's about the power of sin being broken over believers. It is total unwavering obedience to God's word. No compromise even to the point of death.

It's about the church seeing with the eyes of Jesus and having compassion for those in their neighbourhoods. Those who don't smell like them and dress like them yet they are the very ones Jesus would go to. It's about preachers not having hte fear of man in them but having the fear of God. Preachers not worrying if the worship is traditional enough, contemporary enough, or worried about the service if it was Spirit filled enough or conservative enough. But its the people of God opening up their very being and allow God to move in them and through them to reach out to the lose. To be God's hands extended. Oh how i pray for such a time in my lifetime.
      Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

Originally posted by amazzin View Post
        I have one word for you when I think of revival. It's something that is sustained over many many years and should one go back they would still see the fruits of the Godly visitation year after.

The problem with Brownsville is that the church is the opposite. More homelessness, more crime and more businesses closed than ever. And the church that says they were in revival, is struggling in debt, inward focused and their services are all about patting each other on the back saying "look how good we are and look how our names are written in history". Well, the book of life is what I am concerned about and whether God will be saying to them "Great is your reward" or "Go away I know you not".

It isn't just healing although that's part of it, it isn;t only salivations, although that is part of it, it isn't church growth, although that is part of it. It's all about Godly repentance by the "church" and a desire to see the world come to Jesus before its too late. It's about the power of sin being broken over believers. It is total unwavering obedience to God's word. No compromise even to the point of death.

It's about the church seeing with the eyes of Jesus and having compassion for those in their neighbourhoods. Those who don't smell like them and dress like them yet they are the very ones Jesus would go to. It's about preachers not having hte fear of man in them but having the fear of God. Preachers not worrying if the worship is traditional enough, contemporary enough, or worried about the service if it was Spirit filled enough or conservative enough. But its the people of God opening up their very being and allow God to move in them and through them to reach out to the lose. To be God's hands extended. Oh how i pray for such a time in my lifetime.
        I totally agree that Brownsville failed that test ultimately. I think it started out good and certainly had as good a chance as we've had in this country in many years. But ultimately... it failed the revival test. There was no real lasting effect and I think that is what testifies of real revival.

Visit our new website
        ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
        "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

I agree with amazzin.

The test of revival is to look and see what is happening at that church 6 months later, 2 years later, or 10 years later.

Anybody can get caught up in an emotional surge for a few days and fall right back into the old routine. A true revival changes people. I'm not saying that they will be perfect nor am I saying that everybody will be smiling like a cheshire cat and clicking their heels for 10 years. But, they will show evidence of a transformational meeting with God.
          sigpic
          ".....it's your nickel"

Comment

I can bear witness to this first hand. I was never lead to attend any of the 'revival' services in Brownsville, but have spent the last two years involved with street witnessing, and outreach in the Brownsville community. It is common to encounter 'revival refugees' who fondly recall the revival while continuing in the trap of prostitution, drug and alcohol abuse, and other or the world's prisons.
            * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
            ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Comment

I love that word "Transformational (Transformation)". There was a video VHS series a number of years ago about past modern revivals and the signs of a revival being a sustained transformation.

Originally posted by jayne View Post
              I agree with amazzin.

The test of revival is to look and see what is happening at that church 6 months later, 2 years later, or 10 years later.

Anybody can get caught up in an emotional surge for a few days and fall right back into the old routine. A true revival changes people. I'm not saying that they will be perfect nor am I saying that everybody will be smiling like a cheshire cat and clicking their heels for 10 years. But, they will show evidence of a transformational meeting with God.
              Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

I hear you but in a "revival" wouldn't the prostitutes, drug abusers and criminals have to make their own minds? I wouldn't necessarily blame the church for this. Although had they truly encountered God then they would not be going back to their old lifestyles.

Originally posted by Amos_with_goats View Post
                I can bear witness to this first hand. I was never lead to attend any of the 'revival' services in Brownsville, but have spent the last two years involved with street witnessing, and outreach in the Brownsville community. It is common to encounter 'revival refugees' who fondly recall the revival while continuing in the trap of prostitution, drug and alcohol abuse, and other or the world's prisons.
                Amazzin

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
                  I totally agree that Brownsville failed that test ultimately. I think it started out good and certainly had as good a chance as we've had in this country in many years. But ultimately... it failed the revival test. There was no real lasting effect and I think that is what testifies of real revival.
                  There was lasting change as a result of Brownsville. I personally know some people who are not the same to this day. Doesn't mean the church didn't have problems later, or whatever. But there was lasting and significant change in peoples lives as a result of those meetings.
                  Matt 9:13
                  13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                  NASU

Comment

Originally posted by Amos_with_goats View Post
                    IMHO,

Revival: Man on his face before the Cross... repentance.. and then GETTING UP and doing greater things. (healing optional).
                    This is a great answer.
                    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                    NASU

Comment

Did Israel experience a revival in Jesus day? I say yes they did! Some were saved, but in the end, they rejected Jesus big time. But the results of that "revival" were felt more in the Gentile world as those that were revived under Jesus ministry moved out into the world to minister.

I don't know about all the negative things that happened at Brownsville. I am sure there are some. But I do know this, I had friends that played around in the world that were changed because of that service. I have a preacher friend that will never be the same because of how God ministered to him there. Say what you will about the end of it all, but there is certainly lasting fruit from that meeting.
                      NASU

Comment

I hear you but in a "revival" wouldn't the prostitutes, drug abusers and criminals have to make their own minds? I wouldn't necessarily blame the church for this. Although had they truly encountered God then they would not be going back to their old lifestyles.
                        Absolutely.

My point was to agree with your comments on the lasting effects in the community.

While (as Brother Mark says) there may well have been people who experienced a permanent transformation, others had a much more temporary experience...

....there are many who were there, I have spoken to many (some literally)in the shadow of the large buildings constructed) who have not experienced lasting change.

Similar to the phenomena here;

Matthew 12:43-45 (New King James Version)

An Unclean Spirit Returns

43 “When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, he goes through dry places, seeking rest, and finds none. 44 Then he says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came.’ And when he comes, he finds it empty, swept, and put in order. 45 Then he goes and takes with him seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man is worse than the first. So shall it also be with this wicked generation.”

Personal revival MUST be a part of anything that is a revival. Corporate experience is never a substitute, no matter how compelling.

Comment

Yes and some will say throughout the world. I've personally experience some of the benefits of Brownsville. I visited for an entire week and was greatly impacted. when I returned to Canada in the small church I pastored I spoke of what I saw and a hunger increased in that church that it doubled to 500 in less than a year because the hunger grew and people reached out to the needy and lost. But again it wasn't a revival because all the others churches remained the same. In a revival the churches will not be able to contain the increase.

However, the "awakening" that came upon Brownsville and its leaders fizzled out in many places including the leadership of Brownsville being scattered. The issue with Michael Brown stands out in my mind that it could not be revival if this sort of thing happened.

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                          There was lasting change as a result of Brownsville. I personally know some people who are not the same to this day. Doesn't mean the church didn't have problems later, or whatever. But there was lasting and significant change in peoples lives as a result of those meetings.
                          Amazzin

Comment

I would disagree. In fact it is after the Holy Spirit fell that that region experienced a revival in the truest sense of the interpretation (ACTS). When 3000 are added to the church, baptised in water and the Holy Spirit all in the same day, that's revival!

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                            Did Israel experience a revival in Jesus day? I say yes they did! Some were saved, but in the end, they rejected Jesus big time. But the results of that "revival" were felt more in the Gentile world as those that were revived under Jesus ministry moved out into the world to minister.

I don't know about all the negative things that happened at Brownsville. I am sure there are some. But I do know this, I had friends that played around in the world that were changed because of that service. I have a preacher friend that will never be the same because of how God ministered to him there. Say what you will about the end of it all, but there is certainly lasting fruit from that meeting.
                            Amazzin

Comment

Yes and some will say throughout the world. I've personally experience some of the benefits of Brownsville. I visited for an entire week and was greatly impacted. when I returned to Canada in the small church I pastored I spoke of what I saw and a hunger increased in that church that it doubled to 500 in less than a year because the hunger grew and people reached out to the needy and lost. But again it wasn't a revival because all the others churches remained the same. In a revival the churches will not be able to contain the increase.

However, the "awakening" that came upon Brownsville and its leaders fizzled out in many places including the leadership of Brownsville being scattered. The issue with Michael Brown stands out in my mind that it could not be revival if this sort of thing happened.
                              OK. I get what you are saying now. You aren't saying it wasn't a move of God. Your just saying the impact wasn't wide spread enough for you to call it a revival. I hear a lot of people say "Brownsville wasn't a revival" because they don't think God was in it. I even heard preaching against them! Now I understand what you guys are saying. Not sure I agree with it, but it all goes back to what we want to call "revival". Thanks for the explanation. I don't feel the need to be so defensive about it now.
                              NASU

Comment

Working...
                              X