Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our Reasonable service.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Our Reasonable service.

    According to the following scriptures, are we doing our reasonable service to God? Does what we do identify us as belonging to Christ and therefore to God?

    Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

    Jn 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

    Jn 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

    Thank You.

    Firstfruits

  • #2
    Are we living according to His will?

    Mt 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

    Firstfruits

    Comment


    • #3
      What's your hypothesis?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by HisLeast View Post
        What's your hypothesis?
        How do we know when we are doing a reasonable service to God?

        Firstfruits

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Firstfruits View Post
          How do we know when we are doing a reasonable service to God?
          Thats not a hypothesis, thats a question. What's your hypothesis?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by HisLeast View Post
            Thats not a hypothesis, thats a question. What's your hypothesis?
            I am not asking for the sake of an argument. Can we know if we are doing our reasonable service to God?

            Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

            Jn 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

            How do we know if we truly belong to God?

            Firstfruits

            Comment


            • #7
              Hi Firstfruits,

              My comment isn't so much to answer your question, but to give clarity to the scripture you are using as a premise. If it helps the discussion we might remember that the word rendered "service" speaks about the temple service, which Paul uses metaphorically to talk about our sensible response to God's mercy. What kind of "sacrifice" is appropriate in view of God's mercy? How about giving your body as a living "sacrifice," which is a rational response to mercy.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BroRog View Post
                Hi Firstfruits,

                My comment isn't so much to answer your question, but to give clarity to the scripture you are using as a premise. If it helps the discussion we might remember that the word rendered "service" speaks about the temple service, which Paul uses metaphorically to talk about our sensible response to God's mercy. What kind of "sacrifice" is appropriate in view of God's mercy? How about giving your body as a living "sacrifice," which is a rational response to mercy.
                Yes, but what does it mean to give your body as a living sacrifice?

                Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

                Firstfruits

                Comment


                • #9
                  Romans 12:1 "I BESEECH ye therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service."

                  Maybe this will help - the "reasonable service" of Rom. 12:1 is worship, that is performed with the heart, mind, and soul of intelligent beings, and is in contrast to the worsip of idols of Romans 1:25.

                  Men were to bring themselves to God instead of offering sacrifices as they did under the law. The former sacrifices belonged wholly to God, and mankind was now to belong wholly to God.

                  "present your bodies a living sacrifice" -

                  Following is a list of commands about the body:

                  1. Yield it to God (Rom 11:1; 6:13-20).
                  2. Make it a living sacrifice (Rom. 12:1)
                  3. Make it holy (Rom. 11:1; 1 Cor. 3:17)
                  4. Make it accepted of God (Rom. 12:1)
                  5. Make it full of light (Mt. 6:22)
                  6. Reckon it dead to sin (Rom. 6:1)
                  7. Refuse it alive to God (Rom. 6:1)
                  8. Refuse its slavery to sin (Rom. 6:12)
                  9. Mortify its deeds (Rom. 8:13)
                  10. Refuse to defile it (1 Cor. 3:17)
                  11. Make it a fit temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 3:16-17; 6:13-20)
                  12. Keep it free from fornication and only for the Lord (1 Cor. 6:13-20)
                  13. Glorify God in it (1 Cor. 6:20)
                  14. Control it (1 Cor. 9:27)
                  15. Put off its sins (Col. 2:11)

                  Taking it a step further:

                  Take a look at Verse 2 "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God."

                  Two commands are given. If we obey these two commands, we will be in obedience to the perfect will of God. Obeying God's will is our "reasonable service."

                  God Bless.
                  "I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High." Psalm 9:2

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by graceforme View Post
                    Romans 12:1 "I BESEECH ye therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service."

                    Maybe this will help - the "reasonable service" of Rom. 12:1 is worship, that is performed with the heart, mind, and soul of intelligent beings, and is in contrast to the worsip of idols of Romans 1:25.

                    Men were to bring themselves to God instead of offering sacrifices as they did under the law. The former sacrifices belonged wholly to God, and mankind was now to belong wholly to God.

                    "present your bodies a living sacrifice" -

                    Following is a list of commands about the body:

                    1. Yield it to God (Rom 11:1; 6:13-20).
                    2. Make it a living sacrifice (Rom. 12:1)
                    3. Make it holy (Rom. 11:1; 1 Cor. 3:17)
                    4. Make it accepted of God (Rom. 12:1)
                    5. Make it full of light (Mt. 6:22)
                    6. Reckon it dead to sin (Rom. 6:1)
                    7. Refuse it alive to God (Rom. 6:1)
                    8. Refuse its slavery to sin (Rom. 6:12)
                    9. Mortify its deeds (Rom. 8:13)
                    10. Refuse to defile it (1 Cor. 3:17)
                    11. Make it a fit temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 3:16-17; 6:13-20)
                    12. Keep it free from fornication and only for the Lord (1 Cor. 6:13-20)
                    13. Glorify God in it (1 Cor. 6:20)
                    14. Control it (1 Cor. 9:27)
                    15. Put off its sins (Col. 2:11)

                    Taking it a step further:

                    Take a look at Verse 2 "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God."

                    Two commands are given. If we obey these two commands, we will be in obedience to the perfect will of God. Obeying God's will is our "reasonable service."

                    God Bless.
                    Thank you Graceforme,

                    That has been most helpful, you did not however give the two commandments that we will be in the perfect will of God.

                    God bless you

                    Firstfruits

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I find that when folks examine Romans 12:1 they tend to overlook the "Therefore..."

                      In presenting our bodies as a "living sacrifice" related to our "reasonable service", Paul is connecting a charge to the Roman believers with his earlier presentation in Rom. 9-11.

                      Of course, folks tend to go right from Rom. 8 straight to Rom. 12 making the "Therefore..." fit what most interpret as Paul's presentation of salvation / justification - thus missing how and why we are to present our bodies as set apart for the Lord's purposes related to His mercy that he just talked about and defined in 11:28-36.

                      The "mercies of God" (see Isa. 55:3) as Paul defines it involves the mercies of God towards us obtained through the disobedience of Israel; yet the disobedient people will obtain mercy through "the mercy shown you" - for God has committed them all to disobedience "that he might have mercy on all". Paul is stunned by the depth of the riches of both the wisdom and knowledge of God in the manner in which the Lord orchestrates His incredible (and incredibly complex) plan to bring Israel into her irrevocable gifts and calling that He is still committed to - and the mercy shown to us is part of the process of bringing mercy to the disobedient!

                      "Therefore..."
                      The Rookie

                      Twelve is the number of government. Thus, it is quite apropos that I am on my way towards wielding the power of twelve bars - each bar like, say, a tribe.....or a star.....or, maybe an apostle. A blue apostle. Like apostle smurfs. Does anyone remember smurfs? And all the controversy about them being from the devil? It's probably bad that I juxtaposed "apostle" and "smurf" in the same sentence. But then, I probably lost you at "blue apostle". Yes, my friends, this is what "rare jewel of a person" is actually implying. "Rare Jewel of a Person" really means, "Potentially Insane".

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by the rookie View Post
                        I find that when folks examine Romans 12:1 they tend to overlook the "Therefore..."

                        In presenting our bodies as a "living sacrifice" related to our "reasonable service", Paul is connecting a charge to the Roman believers with his earlier presentation in Rom. 9-11.

                        Of course, folks tend to go right from Rom. 8 straight to Rom. 12 making the "Therefore..." fit what most interpret as Paul's presentation of salvation / justification - thus missing how and why we are to present our bodies as set apart for the Lord's purposes related to His mercy that he just talked about and defined in 11:28-36.

                        The "mercies of God" (see Isa. 55:3) as Paul defines it involves the mercies of God towards us obtained through the disobedience of Israel; yet the disobedient people will obtain mercy through "the mercy shown you" - for God has committed them all to disobedience "that he might have mercy on all". Paul is stunned by the depth of the riches of both the wisdom and knowledge of God in the manner in which the Lord orchestrates His incredible (and incredibly complex) plan to bring Israel into her irrevocable gifts and calling that He is still committed to - and the mercy shown to us is part of the process of bringing mercy to the disobedient!

                        "Therefore..."
                        Thank you The Rookie,

                        God bless you.

                        Firstfruits

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by the rookie View Post
                          I find that when folks examine Romans 12:1 they tend to overlook the "Therefore..."

                          In presenting our bodies as a "living sacrifice" related to our "reasonable service", Paul is connecting a charge to the Roman believers with his earlier presentation in Rom. 9-11.

                          Of course, folks tend to go right from Rom. 8 straight to Rom. 12 making the "Therefore..." fit what most interpret as Paul's presentation of salvation / justification - thus missing how and why we are to present our bodies as set apart for the Lord's purposes related to His mercy that he just talked about and defined in 11:28-36.

                          The "mercies of God" (see Isa. 55:3) as Paul defines it involves the mercies of God towards us obtained through the disobedience of Israel; yet the disobedient people will obtain mercy through "the mercy shown you" - for God has committed them all to disobedience "that he might have mercy on all". Paul is stunned by the depth of the riches of both the wisdom and knowledge of God in the manner in which the Lord orchestrates His incredible (and incredibly complex) plan to bring Israel into her irrevocable gifts and calling that He is still committed to - and the mercy shown to us is part of the process of bringing mercy to the disobedient!

                          "Therefore..."
                          Thanks Rookie. I like how your explanation maintains Paul's flow of thought. And so, to answer your question, Firstfruit, to find out what Paul means by a living sacrifice, I would continue to read chapter 12, and perhaps 13 and 14.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BroRog View Post
                            Thanks Rookie. I like how your explanation maintains Paul's flow of thought. And so, to answer your question, Firstfruit, to find out what Paul means by a living sacrifice, I would continue to read chapter 12, and perhaps 13 and 14.
                            Thank you BroRoj,

                            Will do.

                            Firstfruits

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Firstfruits View Post
                              Thank you Graceforme,

                              That has been most helpful, you did not however give the two commandments that we will be in the perfect will of God.

                              God bless you

                              Firstfruits
                              The two commandments were included in the passage. Take another look.

                              Romans 12:1 tells us this: "..... that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service."

                              How do we accomplish this?

                              1. "Be not conformed to this world"

                              AND

                              2. "be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind"


                              "that you may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God."

                              Many blessings to you.
                              Last edited by graceforme; Sep 21st 2008, 10:42 PM. Reason: Spelling error
                              "I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High." Psalm 9:2

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X