Is God truly good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is God truly good?

i know, it may seem like a silly question, and i'm not looking for theology here, but the blessed truth. i got into a conversation with a pagan kid the other day, and these questions came upon me.

if everything is truly relative....then we as humans are incredibly limited in what we can decipher.

How do we know that all the things God offers us- peace, love- are really good? How do we know they are not just feelings we as humans like, but are sinful? How do you know that love is a good thing, and how do you know God is truly the best?

If everything is relative, then couldn't the roles of God and Satan be reversed? How do we know lying is bad and telling the truth is good?
    I am convinced that my purpose here is not to proclaim my glory, or anyone else's, but to reach out to a world lost in hunger and pain and show them the passionate life, the living water, that is my precious Christ Jesus.

I am a 15 year old on a mission.

My testimony found here ---> http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=130814

Have your friend take a a glass coke-bottle, break off the top if it so that exposed sharp glass shards remain, and ask him if he is willing to jab it into his eye.

Perhaps the pain and perceived damage is only relative and not absolute.

Perhaps it really won't hurt; but might actually feel good and give him the benefit of x-ray vision.

If things are relative with God as he proposes, then why can't the expected outcome of a coke-bottle also be relative to what he wants it or thinks it might be?

Non-Christians only use the relative and not absolute arguement when it involves poking sticks at Christians for their beliefs. When called to task for it in their regular lives; they won't abandon the absolutes for their preceived relative speculations.

Comment

Originally posted by faith&charity View Post
      i know, it may seem like a silly question, and i'm not looking for theology here, but the blessed truth. i got into a conversation with a pagan kid the other day, and these questions came upon me.

if everything is truly relative....then we as humans are incredibly limited in what we can decipher.

How do we know that all the things God offers us- peace, love- are really good? How do we know they are not just feelings we as humans like, but are sinful? How do you know that love is a good thing, and how do you know God is truly the best?

If everything is relative, then couldn't the roles of God and Satan be reversed? How do we know lying is bad and telling the truth is good?

I'll respond to this like I would to my Sunday School class of 8-12 yr-olds. We accept the Bible by faith. We accept Christ by faith. Every answer for every question we can ever have in this life is offered to us in the Bible.

All we have to do is look to God's Word to see what is bad and what is good. Scripture clearly tells us that Satan is ruler of darkness and God is the ruler of light. Now, I understand that a pagan kid might not believe this truth, and of course they are always trying to discredit God or put doubt in the minds of believers. They will, of course, reap the results of evil in days to come.

I don't know what else to say about this - we live by faith, not by sight and we accept what God has given us by faith.

Many blessings to you.
      "I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High." Psalm 9:2

Comment

And faith is -

The substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not seen...
        Hebrews 11:1
        We either believe or do not believe. Apparently this kid does not believe. Don't let him sway you from your belief.

g
        "Gripped in the Hand of God"

Comment

Originally posted by David Taylor View Post
          Have your friend take a a glass coke-bottle, break off the top if it so that exposed sharp glass shards remain, and ask him if he is willing to jab it into his eye.

Perhaps the pain and perceived damage is only relative and not absolute.

Perhaps it really won't hurt; but might actually feel good and give him the benefit of x-ray vision.

If things are relative with God as he proposes, then why can't the expected outcome of a coke-bottle also be relative to what he wants it or thinks it might be?

Non-Christians only use the relative and not absolute arguement when it involves poking sticks at Christians for their beliefs. When called to task for it in their regular lives; they won't abandon the absolutes for their preceived relative speculations.
          That hurts even when only imagined!
          Robin

Truth is so obscure in these times and falsehood so established that, unless one loves the truth, he cannot know it. - Blaise Pascal
          And Jesus saith unto him [Thomas], I am the way the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. - John 14:6
          Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford
          Those who compromise with Christís enemies may be reckoned with them. - C.H. Spurgeon

Comment

Short answer... No...

Long answer...

God is not JUST good, he is great, he is perfect, he is the best, he is the most loving, he is the most caring and the the word "Good" cannot describe him.

Comment

We don't posses the standard by which to measure God.
              Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Originally posted by faith&charity View Post
                One solid answer for the goodness of God -

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?" Romans 2:4

SECONDLY - we have God's Word to discern what is of God and what is of Satan. His Word tells us what is wrong or right/good or bad. If a person is well grounded in scripture, they will know the difference.

Comment

Is God truly good?
                  ----------------------------------------------------

Yes........ for it's His nature .... it's one attribute of Him... The Bible states there is 'none' that is good.. but God Himself...

Jesus Himself.. in the humility of His mind when asked by the rich young ruler...

Good master???? He replied... who is Good? there is none good.. but God Himself....

Jesus Himself said this... and as stated by Paul in Phillipians... the 'mind' of Christ...... He thought it not robbery to be equal with God..

yet HE WAS GOD IN THE FLESH....

Jesus was sent by the Father.. and thru Him Jesus went about "doing Good" and healing those what were oppressed of the devil........

Jesus Himself was so Humble that He did not equate it robbery to be equal with God... yet He was God.. God in the flesh... You can get a good picture of His humility.. and the stark realiziation that there is Only One that is Good and that is God Himself.....
                  Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
                  ------------------------------------------------
                  Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
                  The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
                  Jeremiah 31:3

Comment

I also believe that His Goodness...............>>>>> is His Glory........

No one can match it .... and He stands alone in that category....
                    Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
                    Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
                    The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
                    Jeremiah 31:3

Comment

the major idea i recieved from all these replies is...that God came first, that He decided what was good or evil, and we are supposed to live like that.

Anyone want to expand a little more?
                      I am convinced that my purpose here is not to proclaim my glory, or anyone else's, but to reach out to a world lost in hunger and pain and show them the passionate life, the living water, that is my precious Christ Jesus.

My testimony found here ---> http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=130814

Comment

I doubt any of us could expand on it better than His inspired Word:

Pro 3:4 Then you will win favor and esteem in the sight of God and of people.
                        Pro 3:5 Trust in Adonai with all your heart; do not rely on your own understanding.
                        Pro 3:6 In all your ways acknowledge him; then he will level your paths.
                        Pro 3:7 Don't be conceited about your own wisdom; but fear Adonai, and turn from evil.
                        Pro 3:8 This will bring health to your body and give strength to your bones.
                        Pro 3:9 Honor Adonai with your wealth and with the firstfruits of all your income.
                        Pro 3:10 Then your granaries will be filled and your vats overflow with new wine.
                        Pro 3:11 My son, don't despise Adonai's discipline or resent his reproof;
                        Pro 3:12 for Adonai corrects those he loves like a father who delights in his son.
                        Pro 3:13 Happy the person who finds wisdom, the person who acquires understanding;
                        Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

The Bible is clear on what is good and what is not.

Trust in the judgement of the Lord. I've learned that a fundamental part of being a Christian is knowing what is sin and what is pure. Your Pagan friend will struggle to gain such understanding without Jesus in his heart. I think that is why non-believers always try to compromise on moral issues, they can't judge for themselves. Men are born sinners, only God can grant understanding.
                          "I could not but smile out to God in praises,
                          in assurance of victory,
                          because God would by things that are not,
                          bring to naught things that are.
                          Of which I had great assurance, and God did it"
                          - Oliver Cromwell

Comment

If God were not absolutely good, then you and I would be in big trouble.

Postmodernist relativism is a lie. It claims that there are no absolutes; that everything is relative. God is absolutely God, absolutely just, absolutely holy, absolutely sovereign, absolutely eternal.

The next time someone tells you that everything is relative, ask him or her if that statement is relative.

If someone tells you that there are no absolutes, ask them if they are absolutely sure.

Relativism is the sinful heart's way of justifying itself and excusing itself from responsibility and moral accountability to God.

Comment

Originally posted by faroutinmt View Post
                              If God were not absolutely good, then you and I would be in big trouble.

Postmodernist relativism is a lie. It claims that there are no absolutes; that everything is relative. God is absolutely God, absolutely just, absolutely holy, absolutely sovereign, absolutely eternal.

The next time someone tells you that everything is relative, ask him or her if that statement is relative.

If someone tells you that there are no absolutes, ask them if they are absolutely sure.

Relativism is the sinful heart's way of justifying itself and excusing itself from responsibility and moral accountability to God.
                              thank you, thank you, thank you. this makes so much sense, and i just needed to see it all layed out like that. Relativism is a lie...that is so, so encouraging.

Comment

Working...
                              X