Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The origin of demons and evil spirits

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Please Help The origin of demons and evil spirits

    A friend of mine posed this question to me. I didn't find an answer that seemed satisfactory. Maybe someone here can help us. Here's the question as she gave it to me:

    Can you please help me? Where do Satan's demons and evil spirits come
    from? Are demons and evil spirits fallen angels? I have read all Dake's
    commentaries, which, according to him, they are not. But if they're not,
    WHERE DO THEY COME FROM?? God created all beings except Jesus and the Holy Spirit. (Even Satan was an angel of God.) So, if they are different to fallen angels, WHERE DO THEY COME FROM?
    Thanks!


    Thanks in advance for your help.
    God Bless.
    "I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High." Psalm 9:2

  • #2
    demons are spirit and are fallen angels which fell with satan. satan was before, was one of the highest ranked angels. But because he got jealous of God, he wanted to be like God. And gathered 1/3 of the angels in heaven and made war with Micheal and his angels. But they lost, and there was no place found for them in heaven, so they cast them to the earth.

    Job 1:7 - The LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?" Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it."
    We are his body, We are his representative, We are the extension of God to the earth. Every action should be a extension of God's love.

    Comment


    • #3
      The OP raises a good question. What created evil? Did God? Can something purely good create evil? Or is evil eternal?

      My puny mind has not grapsed the answer to these questions, if indeed there is one.

      Comment


      • #4
        Evil - the absence of Good.Darkness - the absence of light.Jude and Enoch had some interesting things to say about the origins of demons, but it's very controversial.

        Comment


        • #5
          Demons are angels who rebelled against God.
          ----------------------------------------------
          When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Literalist-Luke View Post
            Demons are angels who rebelled against God.
            I agree. In the following verse, Satan is described as a great red dragon. And the stars that he drew to the earth are the angels that he convinced to follow him.

            Rev 12:3-4
            (3) And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads.
            (4) And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.

            Rev 12:9
            (9) And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

            Mat 25:41
            (41) Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

            Comment


            • #7
              helpful verses

              Isa 45:7I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I YHWH do all these [things].


              Jud 1:6And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
              Thus says YHWH, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.
              -Jeremiah 6:16

              Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. - Matthew 11:29

              Comment


              • #8
                Ah diffangle beat me to it.

                God created evil (Isaiah 45:7).

                But perhaps the more interesting question is why did he create evil?

                Legoman

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by graceforme View Post
                  A friend of mine posed this question to me. I didn't find an answer that seemed satisfactory. Maybe someone here can help us. Here's the question as she gave it to me:

                  Can you please help me? Where do Satan's demons and evil spirits come
                  from? Are demons and evil spirits fallen angels? I have read all Dake's
                  commentaries, which, according to him, they are not. But if they're not,
                  WHERE DO THEY COME FROM?? God created all beings except Jesus and the Holy Spirit. (Even Satan was an angel of God.) So, if they are different to fallen angels, WHERE DO THEY COME FROM?
                  Thanks!


                  Thanks in advance for your help.
                  God Bless.
                  Hello graceforme,

                  What Kahtar says is true. The answer is somewhat controversial. But it really isn't very complicated.

                  Angels are beings created to minister in both the spiritual and physical realms and the have physical bodies that are designed for that task. In every account in scripture and all ancient Hebrew writings, they are depicted as having a physical form, though different in nature from our own.

                  'Demons', what are often referred to as unclean spirits in the New Testament, are just that - spirits. They possess no physical form. In some ancient writings like the book of Enoch among others, they are revealed to be the children of fallen angels (male) and the daughters of men (female) as told to us in Genesis 6. When these children physically die, because they are unclean they are cursed that their spirit must remain here on earth, experiencing all of the lusts of the flesh but having no physical form with which to satisfy their thirst, hunger, fatigue, etc. And so they seek to possess the bodies of others.

                  Fallen angels and demons are both cursed. And those fallen angels that interbred with the daughters of man have already been judged and are bound under darkness (Jude). Their children are not bound, but their disembodied spirits roam the earth in agony, seeking to possess the weak and unrighteous. A distinguishing feature between the two is that angels already have a body and therefore do not seek to possess another. Demons (unclean spirits) on the other hand, do not have a physical form and do seek to possess other's bodies.

                  Those who are filled with the Holy Spirit have nothing to fear though, because unclean spirits cannot coexist in the same body with Him. They are the Temple of Adonai.

                  There is a lot of misunderstanding and fiction surrounding this topic,
                  but if you stick to what the scriptures actually say and ignore the traditions of men, you should be alright. Another term used for these children of fallen angels is Nephilim. It comes from the Hebrew for 'fallen' and is used in scripture to describe the offspring of these fallen angels.


                  Be Blessed in Him,
                  Phillip
                  Shalom


                  sigpicWhile scripture is inspired, the understanding of its true meanings are most often just the opposite. Contextual understanding of scripture has fallen victim to ignorance and apathy. It has been corrupted by a desperate adherence to the traditions of man and the agendas of the reprobate mind.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bladers View Post
                    demons are spirit and are fallen angels which fell with satan. satan was before, was one of the highest ranked angels. But because he got jealous of God, he wanted to be like God. And gathered 1/3 of the angels in heaven and made war with Micheal and his angels. But they lost, and there was no place found for them in heaven, so they cast them to the earth.

                    Job 1:7 - The LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?" Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it."


                    Revelation 12:7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
                    8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
                    9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.



                    This could not have possibly occured before man was created. Look at verse 9. It's pretty clear that this war occurs within this earth age, and not in eternity past. This verse says that he deceiveth the whole world. How is that possible before there was a world full of people for satan to deceive? When did we know of him as the old serpent? In Gen ch 3. And besides, in Job, we see that satan presents himself before the Lord on several occasions. When was the time of Job? After the flood. So if satan was cast out of heaven prior to this, then how do we explain that he presented himself before the Lord in the book of Job?
                    We know the scene must be in heaven, because satan told the Lord that he had come from walking to and fro in the earth.

                    What is my point? Rev 12 does nothing to prove or clarify where demons originated from.

                    But getting back to this war in heaven and satan and his angels being cast to the earth. We see in 2 Thessalonians 2 that God shall send them strong delusion. If one actually reads the next ch in Rev, Rev 13, one can see that once satan is cast to the earth, this strong delusion starts occuring. But once again, and getting back to my point, by putting this war in heaven, in eternity past, we fail to see the real point of this war and what it does to the inhabitants of the earth at that time.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by divaD View Post
                      Revelation 12:7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
                      8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
                      9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.



                      This could not have possibly occured before man was created. Look at verse 9. It's pretty clear that this war occurs within this earth age, and not in eternity past. This verse says that he deceiveth the whole world. How is that possible before there was a world full of people for satan to deceive? When did we know of him as the old serpent? In Gen ch 3. And besides, in Job, we see that satan presents himself before the Lord on several occasions. When was the time of Job? After the flood. So if satan was cast out of heaven prior to this, then how do we explain that he presented himself before the Lord in the book of Job?
                      We know the scene must be in heaven, because satan told the Lord that he had come from walking to and fro in the earth.

                      What is my point? Rev 12 does nothing to prove or clarify where demons originated from.

                      But getting back to this war in heaven and satan and his angels being cast to the earth. We see in 2 Thessalonians 2 that God shall send them strong delusion. If one actually reads the next ch in Rev, Rev 13, one can see that once satan is cast to the earth, this strong delusion starts occuring. But once again, and getting back to my point, by putting this war in heaven, in eternity past, we fail to see the real point of this war and what it does to the inhabitants of the earth at that time.
                      So the pride of Lucifer and his gathering angelic followers occurred prior to the fall of man.
                      [Lucifer became known as Satan – the ‘prince of the power of the air’ (Eph 2:2) – having lost his position as archangel, but having access to those on the Earth.]
                      The expulsion (the war in Heaven) of Satan and 1/3 of the angels from Heaven is yet to come.

                      Right?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        God did not create moral evil.

                        Originally posted by Coptichristian View Post
                        The OP raises a good question. What created evil? Did God? Can something purely good create evil? Or is evil eternal?

                        My puny mind has not grapsed the answer to these questions, if indeed there is one.
                        Hi It depends what you mean by 'evil'

                        If you mean the 'evils' that can come on us as a result of circumstances (which is what Isaiah meant when he said that God created evil) then there is a sense in which God created 'evil' because He created the natural world which bring these 'evils' on us.

                        If you mean moral evil, moral evil is not something that was created, it is the result of freewill action. God created man capable of doing evil but He did not create the evil that man does. Man 'created' that.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by graceforme View Post
                          A friend of mine posed this question to me. I didn't find an answer that seemed satisfactory. Maybe someone here can help us. Here's the question as she gave it to me:

                          Can you please help me? Where do Satan's demons and evil spirits come
                          from? Are demons and evil spirits fallen angels? I have read all Dake's
                          commentaries, which, according to him, they are not. But if they're not,
                          WHERE DO THEY COME FROM?? God created all beings except Jesus and the Holy Spirit. (Even Satan was an angel of God.) So, if they are different to fallen angels, WHERE DO THEY COME FROM?
                          Thanks!

                          Thanks in advance for your help.
                          God Bless.
                          In my view we recognise the presence of Satan in the Garden of Eden. We recognise the presence of evil angels in Genesis 6.1-4. We recognise the existence of devils/demons from Deuteronomy. But we are nowhere told when they came into existence or where they came from (as Calvin makes clear).

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Richard H View Post
                            So the pride of Lucifer and his gathering angelic followers occurred prior to the fall of man.
                            [Lucifer became known as Satan – the ‘prince of the power of the air’ (Eph 2:2) – having lost his position as archangel, but having access to those on the Earth.]
                            The expulsion (the war in Heaven) of Satan and 1/3 of the angels from Heaven is yet to come.

                            Right?


                            Hi Richard H.

                            The first part of your question I honestly have no definite answer. Part of me wants to believe that the devil fell in the garden when tempting and deceiving man, because this is when and where God cursed the serpent, another part of me can't reconcile that to the fact that the tree of knowledge of good and evil was present before the fall occured. Obviously evil was already in existence.

                            Now to the last part of your question, yes, the battle is future. Another clue would be this.


                            Revelation 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
                            11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.



                            There is no way this could have occured in eternity past. And this is directly linked to the war in heaven, and satan and his angels being cast out. What this shows is this, this war has to occur after the birth, death, and resurrection of Christ, otherwise verse 10 and 11 make no sense, since this is a direct result of satan and his angels being permanetly cast out of heaven.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by divaD View Post
                              Hi Richard H.

                              The first part of your question I honestly have no definite answer. Part of me wants to believe that the devil fell in the garden when tempting and deceiving man, because this is when and where God cursed the serpent, another part of me can't reconcile that to the fact that the tree of knowledge of good and evil was present before the fall occured. Obviously evil was already in existence.

                              <snip>
                              Thanks for the answer, divaD.

                              Ya know I always assumed that Satan became Satan before the creation.
                              Your pointing out that he (or was it just snakes?) was cursed by God for having tempted Eve AND the tree of the knowlege..., is something to consider.

                              Richard

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X