Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romans 10:1-13

Greetings,

In the majority of "gospel tracts" that are being handed out these days, you will probably find at least one reference to Romans 10:9,10 and also Romans 10:13. These verses are quoted along with about 6 or 8 other verses as part of what has been commonly called "The roman road". This has been an attempt to condense the plan of salvation to a short presentation that can be easily printed in tract form. It is the purpose of this post to show what Paul really meant in Romans the 10th chapter. Let me make a statement about Rom. 10:9,10, and 13. These verses are not a sinners prayer, as some gospel tracts have used them. Romans 10:1-13 is dealing exclusively with the nation of Israel. Let's take a look at it in context.

Rom.10:1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

10:2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

10:3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

We see here in the beginning of chapter 10, which is really a continuation of chapter 9, that Paul is dealing with Israel. The next 4 verses show the difference between the law of Moses which the Israelites trusted in so much and the righteousness which is by faith.

Rom. 10:5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.

10:6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above

10:7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)

10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

In verse 5 we see that Paul is quoting from the law(Lev. 18:5) to show that trying to keep God's commandments to the letter could not bring life. Paul quotes this verse also in the book his letter to the Galatians.

Gal. 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

3:12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

But notice that to show the righteousness which is of faith, Paul is still quoting from the law of Moses.

Deut. 30:11 For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off.

30:12 It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?

30:13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?

30:14 But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.

30:15 See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil;

Paul is referring back to the time when Moses said to the Isrealites before they were to cross over into the promised land that he had set before them a choice of life or death, good or evil. So in the the next verse of Romans, the 9th and 10th verse, Paul is referring to what it will take for Israel to be saved. They must acknowledge Jesus Christ as their saviour and Lord. As I said before, these verse are not a sinner's prayer that you can lead an individual Gentile in and they are saved eternally. For one thing you will notice that in these two verses, there is not one word about repentance. I would hope that we all believe that we must repent to be saved.

Now let's deal with the 13th verse of Rom. 10. To fully understand the 13th verse, you must take the 11th and 12th verses with it.

Rom. 10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

10:12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

The key word in verse 13 is "whosoever". Paul is not saying in this verse, which by the way is a quotation from the book of Joel which was also quoted by Peter on the day of Pentecost, that all you have to do is call on the name of the Lord to be saved. He is showing that whosoever, whether you are Jew or Gentile, can call upon the name of the Lord and receive salvation. If you will read Romans 10 and 11 in context and with an open mind, you will see that this is true.

Here's a question . Why would Paul tell us in Romans 10:9-13 that all we have to do is call upon the name of the Lord to be eternally saved and in the same letter tell us that we have to put to death the deeds of the body to live? (Rom. 8:11-13)
    Think about it.

Goph

OK, I've thought about it and believe the same as I did before I read your post. Now you tell us about it. What's your point?
    ----------------------------------------------
    When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

Hello gophgetter:

I entirely agree with your analysis. The material is about Israel. And I am glad you caught the allusion to the Deuteronomy passage. People can be led astray if they "parachute" down into a block of text without the relevant context. I submit that the entire chapter 9 to 11 block is about Israel.

And so the potter account in chapter 9 is not about the pre-destination of individual believers to salvation or to loss, it is about Israel, and God's right to use her as He wishes in His plan of redemption.

I have a proposed answer to your question at the end, but I am in a rush. Hope to get back to you.

You may be interested in a thread about the whole book of Romans. You have to look a page or two back in the list of threads. It was exceedingly active, with some lively debate, until we hit chapter 5. You may want to check that out.

Comment

Originally posted by gophgetter View Post

Here's a question . Why would Paul tell us in Romans 10:9-13 that all we have to do is call upon the name of the Lord to be eternally saved and in the same letter tell us that we have to put to death the deeds of the body to live? (Rom. 8:11-13)
        Think about it.

Goph
        "And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work. What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded. (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear unto this day. And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them: Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway. I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy. Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness? For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:" Rom 11:6-13

Comment

So, then, are you saying that the Romans Road is not an effective strategy for witnessing? I had actually never heard of this strategy until this last week, when my church started their street witnessing ministry. This is the way that the ministry leader wants us to evangelize. Is it not a good idea, then?

Think about it.
          Isn't putting the death the deeds of the body the same as crucifying the flesh?

Rom. 6:5,6For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.

When we call upon the name of the Lord, we are immediately brought into salvation, but also remember that salvation is also an ongoing process, and is not completed until the Day of Jesus Christ. This is done through God's work of sanctification:

2 Thes. 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in truth

Rom. 13:11 And do this, knowing the time, that now it is high time to wake up out of sleep; for now our salvation is nearer than we first believed

Salvation comes to us when we call upon the name of the Lord, but it is also ongoing. It is not yet complete....but it becomes perfected as we put to death the evil deeds of the flesh. That is how we are sanctified...it is ongoing salvation, and this is what we must do to live.

Comment

Greetings,

In the majority of "gospel tracts" that are being handed out these days, you will probably find at least one reference to Romans 10:9,10 and also Romans 10:13. These verses are quoted along with about 6 or 8 other verses as part of what has been commonly called "The roman road". This has been an attempt to condense the plan of salvation to a short presentation that can be easily printed in tract form. It is the purpose of this post to show what Paul really meant in Romans the 10th chapter. Let me make a statement about Rom. 10:9,10, and 13. These verses are not a sinners prayer, as some gospel tracts have used them. Romans 10:1-13 is dealing exclusively with the nation of Israel. Let's take a look at it in context.
            I am not sure of your objection. Are you suggesting that the following passage only applies to Jews?:

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

If we take your concept of allowing passages only to be applicable to who they are addressed, then we can just toss out the whole book of Romans entirely:

Romans 1:1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,
            7 To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

I think I get your objection though. I think it is this:
            Originally posted by gophgetter
            This has been an attempt to condense the plan of salvation to a short presentation that can be easily printed in tract form.
            But I suggest that the basic Gospel is contained in those few short verses. It isn't one particular formula or recipe that saves us. And it isn't a sinners prayer. It is by God's grace through faith in our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Any "salvation" is only applicable to what one is "saved" from. As Jesus offered, those who are not sick need no physician. So some trust in the following must be believed when presenting the Gospel:

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
            As I said before, these verse are not a sinner's prayer that you can lead an individual Gentile in and they are saved eternally. For one thing you will notice that in these two verses, there is not one word about repentance. I would hope that we all believe that we must repent to be saved.
            I don't thing that repentance is excluded in the verses. There is repentance in a heart that truly believes, so repentance is implied in those who confess a true belief. For belief, I think the process goes like this: repent (discover that you are wrong about God, change your mind about God, understand that your standing before God is doubtful, that you need a Saviour, basically acknowledging the convicting work of the Holy Spirit within you), and believe (hear the Gospel, respond to the Truth, confess your belief, trust in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour).

I agree though that there is not an "incantation" of words that will save us.
            Think about it.
            Romans 8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

This is the result of Salvation, not the accomplishment thereof. Of course we should walk in the Spirit. But we don't just pick up our journey by making a determined "New Year's resolution". Christ must be our Lord and Saviour.

Interesting thread. BTW, I do not believe in eternal security. However, I do believe in eternal security of the believer (faithful). There is a difference.

God Bless!
            Last edited by watchinginawe; Sep 24th 2008, 12:20 AM.
            Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

Working...
            X