I have switched to the NIV Bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have switched to the NIV Bible

After years and years of reading, and being a fan of the KJV, i have turned the tides and now read the NIV. I actually like the NIV much better. I realize no edition of the bible is the "true" bible, and after doing alot of research I have realized the KJV is the most deceiving version out there.
    I'm astounded, bewildered, confused, baffled when people tell me there are 75 million people in America that are filled with the Holy Ghost and we're the most rotten nation on earth. "Leonard Ravenhill"

Re: I have switched to the NIV Bible

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    After years and years of reading, and being a fan of the KJV, i have turned the tides and now read the NIV. I actually like the NIV much better. I realize no edition of the bible is the "true" bible, and after doing alot of research I have realized the KJV is the most deceiving version out there.
    I would have to disagree that the KJV is "deceiving." I like modern translations. NIV is close to the bottom of my list of translations, but I do not oppose it.

Comment

I started out with the KJV back in the 60's when I was a kid. There is nothing deceiving about it; it just uses out of date English and perhaps not the best original texts. Today I use mostly the NASV and NKJV; I just never really liked the NIV, though I will occasionally see how it reads.

Comment

Originally posted by Reynolds357 View Post
        I would have to disagree that the KJV is "deceiving." I like modern translations. NIV is close to the bottom of my list of translations, but I do not oppose it.
        What is your favorite modern version?
        I'm astounded, bewildered, confused, baffled when people tell me there are 75 million people in America that are filled with the Holy Ghost and we're the most rotten nation on earth. "Leonard Ravenhill"

Comment

What is your favorite modern version?
          What would you consider a modern version? Like after what year exactly? Me personally I enjoy many versions but I would say that the NASB is my go-to choice.
          This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

My choice is either NASB or TLB. They are literal translations into the modern language. The NIV is a "Nearly Inspired Version"
            Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

I am and always have been a fan of the NIV
              Psalm 19:14
              Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_no_one View Post
                Won't keep that against you.....yet
                Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

Originally posted by amazzin View Post
                  Won't keep that against you.....yet
                  Saw what you will my friend. I've got away to many notes in it to switch now.
                  Psalm 19:14
                  Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.
                  sigpic

Comment

Saw what you will my friend. I've got away to many notes in it to switch now.
                    Isn't that a very important comment really? I for one, have memorized many verses over many years in NKJV. If I am given another translation I am almost lost finding the verses. So I preach and study in NKJV and from time to time I make my point I use other versions.

Whatever makes it easier for you, use it. I too have lots of notes and colors from all the years I have used the Bible I use today. I can't see myself departing from it
                    Amazzin

Comment

I enjoy it as well. It was my first ever bible translation.
                      This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

My fav version is the NKJV. Next is the ESV. I like the HCSB version also, I have that Bible in the door of my truck so I always have a Bible handy no matter where I travel. Plus it's small enough I can stick it in my back pocket.
                        Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Originally posted by -SEEKING- View Post
                          What would you consider a modern version?
                          I have no clue, that is what I am asking. I know alot of people think the NASB is the best "modern" bible out there. I have never even heard of the NASB version. But I will find out now.

Comment

I have no clue, that is what I am asking. I know alot of people think the NASB is the best "modern" bible out there. I have never even heard of the NASB version. But I will find out now.
                            Well just in case you have a hard time finding it, it's the New American Standard Bible.

Comment

The one problem I do have with the NIV version, it feels like I am reading a kids story book. It's almost written to simplified, or "dumbed down"

Comment

Working...
                              X