Scholars verses God's Word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion Scholars verses God's Word

Is there or could it be......"man"no~gender ~puts more of their own trust in all the scholars that study His word for many years and also include what their own opinion and mind tells them how to rightly divide God's Word correctly and to assume it means this when it means that of God's own letter to us.When 'we' have the information to follow what the scriptures and the different languages, also the history to gather information rather than putting their/our trust in God and what His Holy Spirit teaches us? When we need milk and we get meat and vise~verse by taking on info; from another when we can't digest it, especially when it might be wrong.Even so as Christians, we should be able to discern what is the Truth and what is False, by the Word of God. This would also fit in the category of preaching,teaching or making known that what is spoken in the flesh is just flesh without The Spirit. To speak the Truth.....We must know the Truth. "The Mind of Christ"
    " May The Peace of God Be With Us"
    Jer:29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you....
    <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
    Knowledge Will Be Increased
    In Christ Jesus, Darlene
    sigpic

People believe whatever they want to believe. Everyone else, from their opinion, is just listening to "the interpretations of man" or "doesn't have the holy spirit" or other such things.

Comment

Hisleast
      I agree with you so much.I've heard the excuses & more. People in general~~ not pointing fingers at no one~~thinking anything that makes it easy and not put forth the effort to long studying will "they" believe anything.And let their own self ignore their own truth and could very well get deceived. With those that truly study and listen to The Spirit in their heart will have the Truth inside and know when they share God's Word to others.They know in their Spirit they have done right.Because, we will be judged for every idle word that comes from our mouth and we are accountable for them who we speak God's Truth to.
      Thanks for your honesty H.L.; in Christ,Darlene and God bless
      In Christ Jesus, Darlene
      sigpic

Comment

Not sure I'm with you entirely. I said people are going to believe what they want... not necessarily what feels easy. Pretty much everyone who takes a doctrinal stand on anything believes they are doing so via the holy spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by HisLeast View Post
          Not sure I'm with you entirely. I said people are going to believe what they want... not necessarily what feels easy. Pretty much everyone who takes a doctrinal stand on anything believes they are doing so via the holy spirit.
          I understand what you mean."about what feels easy.Of course 'we' all want to feel as though we know all things via The Holy Spirit.But, that's where we have to be really honest with our self When I said that ...it was like either an opinion from my own thoughts or it could be true.
          All is cool,Darlene
          In Christ Jesus, Darlene
          sigpic

Comment

Scripture nowhere states that the Holy Spirit is obligated to simply walk us through the process of Biblical interpretation and that the end result will be infallible. Some Christians will appeal to John 16 to justify their practices in this area, BUT notice that Jesus' audience when saying those words about being led to all truth is his disciples, NOT a mixed group of believers or the entire Church throughout history. In addition, he said those words BEFORE any of the New Testament was written. One can easily gather this from simply looking closely at the text itself. Jesus is confirming that the apostles will be led by the Spirit of truth and through his leading, establish the Church and its core beliefs. That means he will also lead them and the other NT writers to preserve the truth that the Spirit conveys to them in Scripture. That means that Christians should submit to what the text says linguistically and, if necessary, look at the original languages and study the cultural background that may underlie a given passage before applying it to today. It's not advocating privatized, reader-response criticism, whereby readers have freedom to interpret Scripture as they please and that their conclusions about the text's meaning are sovereign and should never be criticized either by others around them or the Church itself. Scripture wasn't written in a vacuum. It addresses the cultural and historical issues confronting its writers and their initial audiences. This should never be ignored by modern interpreters.

Comment

Originally posted by cdo View Post
              Is there or could it be......"man"no~gender ~puts more of their own trust in all the scholars that study His word for many years and also include what their own opinion and mind tells them how to rightly divide God's Word correctly and to assume it means this when it means that of God's own letter to us.When 'we' have the information to follow what the scriptures and the different languages, also the history to gather information rather than putting their/our trust in God and what His Holy Spirit teaches us? "
              That's a great point. Our pastor has written his own study bible...been working on it since 1977. He told the Lord that he wouldn't read one single commentary for the first 20k hours he put into that work. He wanted God to reveal everything to him without outside influence. He said when he reached 20k hours, he started comparing his notes with commentators notes, and surprisingly most of it matched up. Just goes to show that God will reveal truth strictly from the scriptures, if we are willing to look for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sold Out View Post
                That's a great point. Our pastor has written his own study bible...been working on it since 1977. He told the Lord that he wouldn't read one single commentary for the first 20k hours he put into that work. He wanted God to reveal everything to him without outside influence. He said when he reached 20k hours, he started comparing his notes with commentators notes, and surprisingly most of it matched up. Just goes to show that God will reveal truth strictly from the scriptures, if we are willing to look for it.

Yes, our God is a Mighty God who will give to those who seek His Word and Give His knowledge of His Holy word, which is not of any private interpretation, but, for all who wont the Mind of Christ. To be guided by His Word of Life in all things concerning.Allowing the Spirit to open up the minds that seek Truth
                In Christ Jesus, Darlene
                sigpic

Comment

Is there or could it be......"man"no~gender ~puts more of their own trust in all the scholars that study His word for many years and also include what their own opinion and mind tells them how to rightly divide God's Word correctly and to assume it means this when it means that of God's own letter to us.When 'we' have the information to follow what the scriptures and the different languages, also the history to gather information rather than putting their/our trust in God and what His Holy Spirit teaches us? When we need milk and we get meat and vise~verse by taking on info; from another when we can't digest it, especially when it might be wrong.Even so as Christians, we should be able to discern what is the Truth and what is False, by the Word of God. This would also fit in the category of preaching,teaching or making known that what is spoken in the flesh is just flesh without The Spirit. To speak the Truth.....We must know the Truth. "The Mind of Christ"
                  Not sure I completely understand the post. Are you saying all Bible Scholars are to be ignored?

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy

Comment

cdo, what if there was a conflict between the Bible and what you believed the "Spirit" was telling you? How would you handle that?
                    ----------------------------------------------
                    When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

Originally posted by OldChurchGuy View Post
                      Not sure I completely understand the post. Are you saying all Bible Scholars are to be ignored?

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy
                      No,that's not my intention to totally ignore the Bible Scholars.What my post was to mean is "do we put our trust in scholars more than we do God's Spirit.That's a biggy! In other words "you can't serve the writings of "man" and the Spirit of God to fill us with all wisdom & understanding".God's word stands no matter what.How can (gender)anyone use the teaching of man in the times we need it ?
                      When we put our trust in God's word.That should be what is abiding in our heart.
                      To me it comes down to:We talk to God and ask.......or do we look for the writings of scholars and look for answers that only God will provide.
                      I believe God's Word is # One.In Christ,Darlene
                      In Christ Jesus, Darlene
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Literalist-Luke View Post
                        cdo, what if there was a conflict between the Bible and what you believed the "Spirit" was telling you? How would you handle that?
                        The Bible and The Spirit Will never conflict (each other) Their One in the Same It would have to do with my understanding,
                        In Christ Jesus, Darlene
                        sigpic

Comment

What makes one a bible scholar? One that has received a degree in denomination, a degree from a secular university, or someone who has devoted much time to study of the bible and/or certain topics within?

Comment

Originally posted by Emanate View Post
                            What makes one a bible scholar? One that has received a degree in denomination, a degree from a secular university, or someone who has devoted much time to study of the bible and/or certain topics within?
                            So 'these scholars' were taught by 'previous scholars' same as they 'were taught by their scholars' and on down the line.......
                            Being taught with nothing in God's word to be revealed.
                            Last edited by cdo; Sep 23rd 2008, 05:26 PM. Reason: added thoght
                            In Christ Jesus, Darlene
                            sigpic

Comment

So 'these scholars' were taught by 'previous scholars' same as they 'were taught by their scholars' and on down the line.......
                              Being taught with nothing in God's word to be revealed.

And we see how the doctors of the law (biblical scholars) missed the Messiah.
                              Last edited by Emanate; Sep 23rd 2008, 06:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X