The Universal Wrath of God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Universal Wrath of God

Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness...

As we can see, all ungodliness will be met by God's wrath.

Rom 3:9 What then? are we better [than they]? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;
    Rom 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
    Rom 3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

Rom 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned...

Gal 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

1Jo 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Clearly, every one of us harbors ungodliness within.

Therefore, all of us will have the wrath of God poured down upon us.

My question is this:

What does this wrathful judgment entail for the unbelievers that it does not entail for you and I?

Originally posted by Coptichristian View Post
    What does this wrathful judgment entail for the unbelievers that it does not entail for you and I?
    An unbearable day of reckoning I imagine.

Comment

2 Peter 1

2Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
      3According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
      4Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
      5And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
      6And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
      7And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
      8For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
      9But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. 10Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
      We have to start with faith and then build on that to gain some of the virtue of Christ. If we keep this process going in a positive way, we avoid the wrath of God that comes upon the ungodly.

Comment

Originally posted by hisleast
        An unbearable day of reckoning I imagine.
        Why do you imagine such?

Comment

Originally posted by ethnikos
          If we keep this process going in a positive way, we avoid the wrath of God that comes upon the ungodly.
          But aren't we all ungodly to the degree that sin is in us?

Comment

Why do you imagine such?
            The answer is found in your first post...

I've stored up a lifetime of sin and selfishness that I'm only now waking up to. There aren't enough years left for me to build enough works to cover my multitude of sins. IF the slate of my sins hasn't been wiped clean then I imagine I'm going to suffer a pretty substantial eternal consequence.

Comment

Originally posted by hisleast
              I've stored up a lifetime of sin and selfishness that I'm only now waking up to. There aren't enough years left for me to build enough works to cover my multitude of sins. IF the slate of my sins hasn't been wiped clean then I imagine I'm going to suffer a pretty substantial eternal consequence.
              Seeing that there is sin in all of us, it stands to reason that nobody's slate is wiped clean yet.

Comment

Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness...

As we can see, all ungodliness will be met by God's wrath.

Rom 3:9 What then? are we better [than they]? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;
                Rom 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
                Rom 3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

Rom 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned...

Gal 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

1Jo 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

My question is this:

Jesus bore the full wrath of God that you are talking about:

"All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned, each one to his own way; and Jehovah has laid on Him the iniquity of us all." (Isa.53: 6).

How do we receive the free gift of salvation?

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only-begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." (Joh. 3: 16).

"Faithful is the Word and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief." (1Tim.1: 15)

"not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit," (Tit.3: 5).

"For by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." (Eph.2: 8-9).

Jesus the Righteous One and last Adam came in the likeness of sinful man and lived a perfectly sinless and righteous life on behalf of those who could not, and then took our sins upon Himself as though He was the one who had sinned, and bore our sins in His own body on the cross."

The wrath of God will only come upon those who reject this their only salvation - and this is why God "is not slow concerning His promise, as some count slowness, but is long-suffering toward us, not purposing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." (2Pet.3: 9).

ananias

ananias
                "But you must not be called Rabbi, for One is your teacher, Christ, and you are all brothers.

And call no one your father on the earth, for One is your Father in Heaven.

Nor be called teachers, for One is your Teacher, even Christ."
                (Mat.23: 8-10)

AND

"I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. As I have loved you, you should also love one another.

By this all shall know that you are My disciples, if you have love toward one another."
                (Joh.13: 34-35)

Comment

Christ has already endured the wrath of God for our sakes. Those of us who choose to accept that sacrifice on our behalf will be spared. Those who reject it will have to endure it on their own, and will wind up eternally condemned.
                  ----------------------------------------------
                  When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

ananias,

I must take issue with what you wrote.

Yes, our iniquity was laid upon Jesus, but this does not mean that Jesus is our scapegoat. Jersus did not die in our stead. Rather, we are to die with Him.

Comment

Everlasting punishment in the lake of fire.

Matthew 25:41, 46
                      Revelation 20:15

Comment

My question is this:

Jesus said, "And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not [himself], neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many [stripes]. But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few [stripes]. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more. I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled? Luke 12:47-49

Comment

My question is this:

They will suffer the full penalty of their sins.

Comment

ananias,

I must take issue with what you wrote.

Yes, our iniquity was laid upon Jesus, but this does not mean that Jesus is our scapegoat. Jersus did not die in our stead. Rather, we are to die with Him.
                            Of course Jesus was our scapegoat. What do you think the scapegoat in the old testament symbolized?

If you are in Jesus Christ, you have died with Him: Romans 6:3, 4

If you belong to Christ, all your sins are now forgiven: Colossians 2:13

Of course Jesus died in our stead. What else did He take our sins upon Himself? So that they will not be reckoned to us. If Christ did not die in your place, there is no hope for you, since you can never redeem yourself.

Comment

Jesus said, "And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not [himself], neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many [stripes]. But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few [stripes]. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more. I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled? Luke 12:47-49

Wow, Teke, that is an illuminating passage, for sure.

Perhaps then it is just a matter of degree? That would make sense to me. Depending on how much hay and stubble is in our soul, the flame of God will feel either more or less severe to us.

Comment

Working...
                              X