Flag Banner Waving in Your Church - Tell Me Your Denomination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help Flag Banner Waving in Your Church - Tell Me Your Denomination

Our new fellowship (church group) has recently stopped a few people waving banners and flags (no flags from countries) in church. The reason is because the teachers of flagging, outside of our church, have a doctrine of different beliefs, which is a certain denomination (which I don't want to mention). They say this denomination is associated with flagging and will be stopped because of that association.

Yet I think many denominations do flagging. Am I wrong?

PLEASE - Comment of flagging to you as well.

Hey -- if I missed you in the the list "Other" mention it please here.
    Catholic
    0.00%
    Lutheran
    0.00%
    Anglican
    5.26%
    Reformed
    0.00%
    Presbyterian
    0.00%
    Methodist
    5.26%
    Baptist
    5.26%
    Pentecostal
    21.05%
    Charismatic
    5.26%
    Vineyard
    0.00%
    United Church
    0.00%
    Quakers
    0.00%
    Messianic
    0.00%
    Seventh-day Adventist
    5.26%
    Non-Denomination
    26.32%
    Other
    26.32%

The poll is expired.

Re: Flag Banner Waving in Your Church - Tell Me Your Denomination

Originally posted by Kylism View Post
    Our new fellowship (church group) has recently stopped a few people waving banners and flags (no flags from countries) in church. The reason is because the teachers of flagging, outside of our church, have a doctrine of different beliefs, which is a certain denomination (which I don't want to mention). They say this denomination is associated with flagging and will be stopped because of that association.

I am somewhat puzzled by your post. I am interested in hearing more...
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
    ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......
    ....Live your life the same way.... ~ *

Please pray for the 'Persecuted Church'.

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Comment

Certain denominational churches do that but it isn't a denominational mandate or denominationally sanctioned. Each church has their own leadership who accept or do not accept the practice. The issue is one of submission rather than one of acceptablity. Are those who flag willing to submit to the churches leaders?

Spirit filled churches or otherwise charismatic churches, which encompasses a wide range of denominations will allow flags. Most will have a teaching around the practise. Such as , certain colors means certain interpretations. It must be done in concert with the worship and the worship leader. Otherwise it is just confusion.

Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

Yes bother, I get that. The part i am not understanding is the poll to ask what denom one fellowships with... and the statement;

I just don't quite get the connection... other then to ask to discuss the issue? What would it matter what denom everyone answers in the poll?
        * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
        ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Comment

I know of one church that used to do this, but stopped it when it got to be so many that people were being swiped in the face by so many flaggers.

I have nothing for or against, but that has nothing to do with any denominational leaning.

I do tend to think if more people used that time in opening the word and preaching it, it would do more good in the long run. But that too is my personal opinion.
          My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Comment

Other: Orthodox

I don't quite understand what you mean by "flagging". Would you please explain that a little more?

Comment

Originally posted by Diggindeeper View Post
              I know of one church that used to do this, but stopped it when it got to be so many that people were being swiped in the face by so many flaggers.
              The rules could be changed to be more similar to flag football. You are allowed to flag, but you open yourself up to tackling if you do, especially when you swipe someone in the face!

Comment

I have no theological problem with waving flags, but I personally think it is stupid and distracting.

Comment

I really don't have a problem with people doing it if that is how they would like to express themselves to the Lord in worship. However, I really don't have any leading or desire to do it.
                  "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Ok,

So...

Luke 22:31

And the Lord said, “Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat.

This separation.. the division over pointless distinctions... is of the Deceiver. Of course, many of the things come from works of the Lord that became works of men.... well, it is sad commentary that not only do we allow these artificial divisions, we (generic we, the Church) actually SEEK them OUT.

Who is glorified in this?

There is nothing wrong with the OP, or the replies... please don't take what I posted above as an indictment against anyone in this thread. My heart is just sick right now over the artificial lines we find to divide over.

Comment

What happens when someone brings in a checkered flag? Does he wave it to end the service? What an inspiration...1st Church of NASCAR...green flag to start...yellow flag to warn that sin is close??

I have heard of folks waving their hankies when they were blessed in the old holiness churches but I was unaware of the practice in the modern church.

For the cause of Christ
                      Roger

Comment

Like others, I have never heard of such a practice.
                        Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
                        Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Comment

Originally posted by teddyv View Post
                          Like others, I have never heard of such a practice.
                          I have seen it too many times. It annoy's me to no end.
                          The only place I have seen it happen with regularity is in predominantly black, Charismatic churches.

Comment

Me too, in charismatic churches. Its kind of a recent thing. To me, distracting.
                            My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Comment

Originally posted by Diggindeeper View Post
                              Me too, in charismatic churches. Its kind of a recent thing. To me, distracting.
                              Recent as in? It's been ongoing since the mid 90's when Toronto Airport Vineyard and Brownville began t introduce it to those who attended. Done properly it can be a very powerful prohetic act of worship, with proper teaching and submission it can work in most spirit filled churches. The problem is when those who do flag ministyr do it for the sake of "show" with no purposeful intent.
                              Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

Working...
                              X