Is cussing really bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice: Is cussing really bad?

Well it's a pretty standard question but here goes.

Is cussing really bad?

I've asked a lot of people but no one has ever been able to provide scripture proof that it is. I don't understand why simple words that mean absolutely nothing can be bad. Most of my friends just agree that it isn't so I never really cared to look into it. But now that I found a Bible forum I can finally ask all my questions. And boy do I have a lot.

Anyway, please provide scripture proof with your reply instead of just your opinion. Thanks a lot for anyone who replies =]

Yes it is. Think to yourself... is this a word I would say to a child? To a preacher? To Jesus?

No? You wouldn't? Then don't say it to anyone.

Ephesians 5:4 And there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.

Ephesians 4:29 Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but
    only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the
    moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.

Matthew 15:11 It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Originally posted by ConqueredbyLove
    Even sheep fall down sometimes...But Jesus picks them up as they can't pick up themselves

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jake View Post
      Is cussing really bad?
      It is rude and improper, yes.

I've asked a lot of people but no one has ever been able to provide scripture proof that it is. I don't understand why simple words that mean absolutely nothing can be bad. Most of my friends just agree that it isn't so I never really cared to look into it.
      The problem is Jake, that all words have meaning. We speak in a language of color, where words fit like puzzle pieces. Some sooth, some bring precise meaning, and others serve to underscore and make vivid. Words can illicit the full range of human emotion.

Words have meaning in two ways. Denotative meaning is the literal meaning of the word. In the case of the "b" word, the denotative meaning is "female canine". Connotative meaning is the emotional attachment to the word. Connotation is where you find the difference between "aroma" and "stench". In short: there is no such thing as "words that mean absolutely nothing".

Anyway, please provide scripture proof with your reply instead of just your opinion. Thanks a lot for anyone who replies =]
      FaithfulSheep already listed the obvious ones, but here are some others...
      Philipians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
      Proverbs 12:18 Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
      James 3:9-12 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

One last question. If our speech and actions look and sound like those who don't know Christ... how will they see there is something different about us?

Comment

Is cussing really bad?
        Yes.

I've asked a lot of people but no one has ever been able to provide scripture proof that it is. I don't understand why simple words that mean absolutely nothing can be bad. Most of my friends just agree that it isn't so I never really cared to look into it. But now that I found a Bible forum I can finally ask all my questions. And boy do I have a lot.
        If those simple words don't mean anything, then they shouldn't be in anyones vocabulary. If they really have no meaning, then they would never be said.

Sure. Every question should be answered with scripture.

Eph 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

When Peter betrayed Christ, he cursed:

Mt 26:74 Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the cock crew.

When one curses, they are betraying Christ.

1Pe 3:10 For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:

You will talk according to what your heart condition is. If the heart has evil in it, you will speak the same way:

Lu 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

These are just a few passages.

Comment

Originally posted by faithfulfriend View Post
          Yes.

If those simple words don't mean anything, then they shouldn't be in anyones vocabulary. If they really have no meaning, then they would never be said.

Sure. Every question should be answered with scripture.

Eph 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

When Peter betrayed Christ, he cursed:

Mt 26:74 Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the cock crew.

When one curses, they are betraying Christ.

1Pe 3:10 For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:

You will talk according to what your heart condition is. If the heart has evil in it, you will speak the same way:

Lu 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

These are just a few passages.

I am sure we can all agree that these verses speak about something more than using a "bad" word.

Oft I do wonder, when did someone decide that a certain sound was a bad word?

Comment

Originally posted by FaithfulSheep View Post
            Yes it is. Think to yourself... is this a word I would say to a child? To a preacher? To Jesus?

No? You wouldn't? Then don't say it to anyone.

Ephesians 5:4 And there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.

Ephesians 4:29 Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but
            only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the
            moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.

Matthew 15:11 It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
            Couldnt ask for better scriptural advice than this. Excellent!!!!
            Last edited by militarywife; Sep 23rd 2008, 02:02 PM. Reason: spelling
            I'm Sara
            "Jesus wept." John 11:35
            Praying for my sister Mieke.
            sigpic

Comment

In addition to the excellent responses already here, I would ask you a question, Master Jake: Why is the "cussing" needed? What positive thing does it accomplish?

I Corinthians 10:23 - "'I have the right to do anything,' you say—but not everything is beneficial. 'I have the right to do anything'—but not everything is constructive."
              ----------------------------------------------
              When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Literalist-Luke View Post
                In addition to the excellent responses already here, I would ask you a question, Master Jake: Why is the "cussing" needed? What positive thing does it accomplish?
                I'll answer that, as soon as you can answer why Christians need to use common cussing substitutes such as "dang", "darn", "shoot", "heck", "gosh", "crud", "fetching" (a Mormon favorite). What positive thing does it accomplish?

I Corinthians 10:23 - "'I have the right to do anything,' you say - but not everything is beneficial. 'I have the right to do anything' - but not everything is constructive."

Comment

Originally posted by zombieCat View Post
                  I'll answer that, as soon as you can answer why Christians need to use common cussing substitutes such as "dang", "darn", "shoot", "heck", "gosh", "crud", "fetching" (a Mormon favorite). What positive thing does it accomplish?

I Corinthians 10:23 - "'I have the right to do anything,' you say - but not everything is beneficial. 'I have the right to do anything' - but not everything is constructive."
                  All languages include such inflections as expressions of various emotions. The key is which one(s) the speaker chooses. My point was that, with plenty of inflections to choose from that most people would find UNoffensive, what is the point of using one that a large number of people would find offensive? What positive thing is accomplished by that?
                  ----------------------------------------------
                  When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Literalist-Luke View Post
                    All languages include such inflections as expressions of various emotions. The key is which one(s) the speaker chooses. My point was that, with plenty of inflections to choose from that most people would find UNoffensive, what is the point of using one that a large number of people would find offensive? What positive thing is accomplished by that?
                    Point taken. My point is that there is a false division of offensiveness between the "bad" words and their euphemisms. What makes "fetch" less offensive than the word from which it is derived (in the inflective sense)? Only the fact that people choose to make such attributions. At which point, the central idea has moved from words being intrinsically wrong to them being wrong only because of current popular opinion.

Comment

Is cussing really bad?

My :

Cussing is not the same as cursing.
                      I'm really trying to get out the habit of cussing.
                      This verse sort of woke me up.

But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
                      Col 3:8

Comment

Thanks for all your replies.

Hey wait a minute, what makes words like "darn", "dang", etc. any better than the full blown cuss words? If there truly isn't a difference then does it matter which you use. I've found it to be human nature to get angry and cuss. Some just do it for the heck of it.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies.

Hey wait a minute, what makes words like "darn", "dang", etc. any better than the full blown cuss words?
                          Because those words let people cuss and still pretend they aren't cussing, which allows them to feel righteous.

And, BTW, your humor wasn't lost on me

Comment

<snip>
                            ... Some just do it for the heck of it.
                            Yer too funny, Jake.

Thinly disguised words are not much better, but being that there’s a level of social acceptability to some of these words it’s better than full blown cussing.

I try to refrain from “Darn it” because it’s a very thin disguise and damnation is actually a curse.

Too much today I hear Christians exclaim “oh Lord!” for no purpose than to exclaim.
                            I think that’s wrong as saying OMG (or the long version). Taking His name or title in vain.

Still, it’s tough to say “Oh Fiddlesticks!” when you stub your toe.
                            Even saying “fiddlesticks” is a very thin disguise.

I don’t mind cussing by the unsaved too much, but OG and OMG grate on my spirit.
                            Even the abbreviation “OMG” gets to me because it is trite.

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by zombieCat View Post
                              Because those words let people cuss and still pretend they aren't cussing, which allows them to feel righteous.
                              not true. i say dang all the time. it's by no means a replacment for damn or the like.

Comment

Working...
                              X